Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Windows 10 is a better Windows 7 — if you can get the upgrade to work

I guess the upshot of this is that if after hearing about some of the possible privacy and other issues you still decide to make the jump, either be sure to do a clean install or at least make a backup first!  :Shame On You:

A friend has now updated to 10 without telling me, and BOOM her sound card and printer have no driver for 10, and retreat is failing big time. Of course I'm the "Friend who knows stuff about computers" who is supposed to fix it....... :-/

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/215451-windows-10-is-a-better-windows-7-if-you-can-get-the-upgrade-to-work

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I've upgraded many computers with 0 problems. I don't know if I'm lucky, or if other people are just bad at clicking buttons.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2015/08/28/microsoft-windows-10-update-problems/

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I guess the upshot of this is that if after hearing about some of the possible privacy and other issues you still decide to make the jump, either be sure to do a clean install or at least make a backup first!  :Shame On You:

A friend has now updated to 10 without telling me, and BOOM her sound card and printer have no driver for 10, and retreat is failing big time. Of course I'm the "Friend who knows stuff about computers" who is supposed to fix it....... :-/

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/215451-windows-10-is-a-better-windows-7-if-you-can-get-the-upgrade-to-work

Just out of curiosity, has she upgraded from Windows 8 or 7? I wasn't missing any drivers when I upgraded from 7.  Now that doesn't mean Microsoft has every driver for every piece of hardware ever made. Also, I installed some drivers of my own, downloaded from the manufacturers' websites.  Is it possibly old hardware, no longer supported by its manufacturer?

Is it possibly old hardware, no longer supported by its manufacturer?

Just use Windows Updates. I installed W10 on a 10 year old LG laptop with a Pentium M single core, 1GB RAM, AC97 audio, and Intel Centrino wireless and Windows Update was able to download the drivers for everything after I used an ethernet connection.

Just use Windows Updates. I installed W10 on a 10 year old LG laptop with a Pentium M single core, 1GB RAM, AC97 audio, and Intel Centrino wireless and Windows Update was able to download the drivers for everything after I used an ethernet connection.

I quite agree. The transition from 7 to 10 was far superior to xp to 7

I had some .NET Framework issues with other software as well as some other bugs that I didn't have on Windows 7. Tried it out for a month or two, but I'm going to wait a bit to go back to Windows 10.

Just out of curiosity, has she upgraded from Windows 8 or 7? I wasn't missing any drivers when I upgraded from 7.  Now that doesn't mean Microsoft has every driver for every piece of hardware ever made. Also, I installed some drivers of my own, downloaded from the manufacturers' websites.  Is it possibly old hardware, no longer supported by its manufacturer?

I tried to respond last night but the forum was having issues, sorry.

Anyway, yes, it was that the companies in question considered the hardware old enough that they decided not to create windows 10 drivers. Obviously if you are using Windows 8 there's probably less of a chance of this happening. And she was jumping From 7 to 10

The experience has made me cautious enough to go out to the various websites and check to make sure my own hardware is supported with Windows 10 drivers (should I ever decide to switch)

This is also an issue for software that may not be supported, or just flat won't work with Windows 10, like SecuRom or SafeDisc protected stuff. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-play-safedisc-securom-drm-games-in-windows-10-3623760/

Some helpful update error codes. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-install-errors-windows-10

Google "Windows 10 installation errors" for a look at some of the possible issues.

While the vast majority of installs probably go fine, you don't want to be caught flat-footed if you are one of those with an issue. Luckily for me, I have a tablet that lets me get on the web to research issues, even if I'm at a friends house. Not so nice if your one and only computer is down with an error message you have few ways to look up!

Devons rig

This is also an issue for software that may not be supported, or just flat won't work with Windows 10, like SecuRom or SafeDisc protected stuff. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-play-safedisc-securom-drm-games-in-windows-10-3623760/

MS also released the patch that "broke" SafeDisc and SecuROM in Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/23/windows-update-disables-safedisc-drm-7-8-vista/

MS also released the patch that "broke" SafeDisc and SecuROM in Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/23/windows-update-disables-safedisc-drm-7-8-vista/

Yup, bumped into that article as well. The problem is that the solution may come at the cost of leaving your pc less secure. In fact, the response from many people aware of the problem has been patches which can sometimes themselves be dangerous and arguably illegal depending on where you live and who you are listening to. (unintended consequences)

This might only be relevant to this forum because FS9 is apparently affected.

To their credit, Microsoft do provide instructions on the update page for how to manually turn the driver back on. This involves either typing commands into command prompt or editing the registry to make the change permanent, though Microsoft are still keen to stress that the “workaround may make a computer or a network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software” and so if you do turn it on, you’d do well to turn it off again once you’re finished playing whatever game you wanted to run.

Devons rig

Like what?

I would try to start REX and end up looking at a black square for several minutes until it finally loaded. I'm running REX and Windows off an SSD while on Windows 10. REX loads instantly on Windows 7 with no problems. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling .NET and REX with no luck. Tried using a .NET cleanup tool as well as some other things. Eventually I gave up after wasting hours on it and went back to Windows 7.

How about installing in compatibility mode? That goes all the way back to '95. Of course, that may not work for drivers. And if you are just pointing device manager at an inf file on your hard disk, maybe S-O-L.

Good luck.

Might wait a bit until Windows 10 matures a bit more before trying it again.

Yup, just found My 1 year old HP deskjet printer (which supports windows 8) is unsupported for windows 10.

Devons rig