Sign in to follow this  
BamaKevin

Installing Addons outside root v3 folder

I am trying to get a grasp on this like most. I am trying to understand how to install addons outside of the root folder and make the proper changed in the cfg file. If anyone has done this thus far could you please post instructions. It would be very helpful. Thank you

Kevin Humphryes

Helpfully all laid out clearly in the SDK learning center :) Fr Bill posted the links direct to them in another thread not so long ago (sorry Im on my phone here so cant easily find details to repost :( )

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Make NO changes in the cfg-file!!!!!! Install the add-ons (scenery) and add them with the proper path to the scenery.cfg (done inside P3D or with a  scenery editor). Aircraft you can NOT install outside P3D root as they have to go into SimObjects folder and sometimes into oter folders. If the add-on has an installer point it to a folder that you have created outside the P3D folder. I have my Addon Scenery folder on the same drive as P3D but outside it´s folder.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

kevinfirth

I don´t know anything about BamaKevin´s computer skills BUT advising an amateur, like me, to start mess around with the SDK is asking for trouble.  :smile:

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Make NO changes in the cfg-file!!!!!! Install the add-ons (scenery) and add them with the proper path to the scenery.cfg (done inside P3D or with a  scenery editor). Aircraft you can NOT install outside P3D root as they have to go into SimObjects folder and sometimes into oter folders. If the add-on has an installer point it to a folder that you have created outside the P3D folder. I have my Addon Scenery folder on the same drive as P3D but outside it´s folder.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Not entirely correct Jack. The aircraft do NOT have to be in the SimObjects folder. They can be anywhere you want them as long as you have an entry in the SimObjects.cfg file pointing to the correct path.

Go to C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 - you will find ALL the respective cfg files that can be modified. Effects, Fonts, Gauges, SImObjects, etc. Install your files wherever and link them in these cfg files.

Works just fine.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Make NO changes in the cfg-file!!!!!! Install the add-ons (scenery) and add them with the proper path to the scenery.cfg (done inside P3D or with a scenery editor). Aircraft you can NOT install outside P3D root as they have to go into SimObjects folder and sometimes into oter folders. If the add-on has an installer point it to a folder that you have created outside the P3D folder. I have my Addon Scenery folder on the same drive as P3D but outside it´s folder.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/LearningCenter.php

"Supported Categories Capable of Add-on Management

The are many different aspects of Prepar3D capable of being managed by Prepar3D's add-on management system. Supported categories of add-ons capable of being managed are below:

Libraries (dll.xml) - Used to configure add-on libraries.

Executables (exe.xml) - Used to configure add-on executables.

Effects (effects.cfg) - Used to configure additional effect directories.

Fonts (fonts.cfg) - Used to configure additional font directories.

Gauges (gauges.cfg) - Used to configure additional gauge directories.

Scaleform (scaleform.cfg) - Used to configure Autodesk® Scaleform® directories from which to load Adobe® Flash® content.

Scenarios (scenarios.cfg) - Used to configure scenario directories in addition to the default Prepar3D v3 Files location.

Scenery (scenery.cfg) - Used to specify additional scenery locations. Please see the Scenery Configuration File article.

Shaders (shadersHLSL.cfg) - Used to configure additional shader directories.

SimObjects (simobjects.cfg) - Used to configure additional SimObject directories.

Sound (sound.cfg) - Used to configure additional sound directories.

Texture (texture.cfg) - Used to configure additional texture directories.

Weather (weather.cfg) - Used to configure additional weather directories.

In addition, the Terrain (terrain.cfg) system supports being configured but there is not a native way of installing, uninstalling, or modifying the associated configuration file. "

I would implore you to at least read this page as it shows that a variety of elements including simobjects can be located outside the core folder structure, (contrary to Jacks advice above) :)

Cheers K

Edit: the more I think about the changes made by LM to addon management, the more I appreciate what a clever, but simple and elegant solution they have given us :)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

They should've made it this way long ago. How many times have all of us had to do a reinstall of FSX etc. because of 1 bad addon or an addon without an uninstaller...

If I have to do any hand porting over I'll probably use external folders.

I am trying to get a grasp on this like most. I am trying to understand how to install addons outside of the root folder and make the proper changed in the cfg file. If anyone has done this thus far could you please post instructions. It would be very helpful. Thank you

The short answer appears to be (as long as it forms part of the supported elements) that you can put things wherever you like, so long as you put a location reference pointing to it in an appropriate cfg file :) easy peasy lemon squeezy (but not for Orbx it appears) (and before I get flamed yes, I accept there are still some certain core files that arent manageable in this way...yet :) )

xaP1VAU.png

I've already starting to put legacy aircraft outside the root. My Ai have been since FSX.  it's the effects and sounds etc give a bit of a problem until you understand it.  you DON'T need to play with the SDK - just read the appropriate Learning Centre bits to get the external folder concepts right.  The only thing I wish is that LM had given a recommended naming structure - not that our friendly 3PDs will follow it of course  ;-).

and Kevin - it's not that clever or new - it was always possible to do it this way - back to FSX at least.  Just nobody thought about or bothered until we got a regularly updated sim - 8-9 years FSX, now P3D zippety-doo-da with updates

Mind you, not sure about whether updating P3D and add-ons isn't easier than waiting till all get it right!

and Kevin - it's not that clever or new - it was always possible to do it this way - back to FSX at least. Just nobody thought about or bothered until we got a regularly updated sim - 8-9 years FSX, now P3D

For pure scenery bgls yes of course, most of the addon flexibility was introduced in P3D 2.4, 2.5 and now 3.0 Mike K

xaP1VAU.png

This method also seem to load P3D even faster .

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

I am in the amateur category for sure but I would like to better understand this before I start the addon process. I understand the making folders outside of the root folder. Where do I get the actual entry that goes in say the gauge cfg etc etc etc.? I already had My Traffic 6 Rex 4 Asn installed on Seperate drives in v2. Guess I need to learn the Aircraft and Scenery part.

Kevin Humphryes

I am in the amateur category for sure but I would like to better understand

Your not alone there.  Just become annoying and ask the same question over and over again, works just fine for me  :smile:   

The aircraft do NOT have to be in the SimObjects folder. They can be anywhere you want them as long as you have an entry in the SimObjects.cfg file pointing to the correct path.

Go to C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 - you will find ALL the respective cfg files that can be modified. Effects, Fonts, Gauges, SImObjects, etc. Install your files wherever and link them in these cfg files.

Very good,  i didn't know that,  Must start reading up on this stuff, i had 2.5 off to a T

I am in the amateur category for sure but I would like to better understand this before I start the addon process. I understand the making folders outside of the root folder. Where do I get the actual entry that goes in say the gauge cfg etc etc etc.? I already had My Traffic 6 Rex 4 Asn installed on Seperate drives in v2. Guess I need to learn the Aircraft and Scenery part.

Configuring 101:

1. Look in the C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv3 folder and...
  2. Open the simobjects.cfg file in Notepad.exe (or Notepad++.exe)
  3. Carefully copy/paste/edit [Entry.0] and contents to the bottom of the file as shown below

Note that in the sample entry I've made, I have created a new set of folders on my D drive:

D:\AddOns\SimObjects\Airplanes

[Entry.9]
Title=Default Countermeasures
Path=SimObjects\Countermeasures
Required=True
Active=True

[Entry.10]
Title=AddOn Airplanes
Path=D:\AddOns\SimObjects\Airplanes
Required=True
Active=True

You can also edit the gauges.cfg file to add a new ..\gauges folder:

[Entry.0]
Title=Default Gauges
Path=Gauges
Required=True
Active=True

[Entry.1]
Title=Addon Gauges
Path=D:\AddOns\Gauges
Required=True
Active=True

The same thing may also be done to any other remote folders you want to have:

effects.cfg

fonts.cfg

et cetera!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This facility has been available since v2.4 (I think) when the file structure was changed ... other file structure changes have happened with V3 but not this.

Jorge

One or two more questions and I'm all set...  :wink:

How do I install A2A aircraft and ORBX stuff? As far as I know, the A2A installer is asking for the root Prepar3D folder. ORBX actually replaces the BGLs in the scenery folder... Any advice?

Thanks!

--

Ghislain

System Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte Aorus Master mobo, 32 Gb Corsair Vengeance Lpx DDR4 memory, MSI RTX 3070 Ti Gaming X Trio 8G video card.