Sign in to follow this  

I must be losing my mind... Help...

As some of you know I ordered a GTX 980 Ti to see how much better it performed compared to my GTX 780 (6 GB) in P3D v3. I run Windows 10 64 bit and an i7- 4790K @ 4.4 plus 16 GB RAM. I use a res of 1920x1080. Today the card arrived and so full of expectation I installed it, reinstalled the driver, flushed the shaders and created a new p3d.cfg.

I have three flights saved with the default Carenado on autopilot flying at some 1000 ft towards New York and Seattle and one near Seattle but fogged in, using pretty high/ultra settings (most sliders right). For these tests I have fps set at unlimited.

Above New York my old GPU gave me 21,5 fps. The 980 Ti gave me... 21.3. That's even a fraction lower. The same with Seattle, there fps was o.2 higher or so.

So I tested with my regular settings: extremely dense autogen but no traffic, water quality off, etc. Above New York the old GPU gave me 27.4, the new one 27.8...

Next the same test but now with NI 4xSGMSAA: result old 20.1, new 21.7. Wow. That's 1.6 difference...

After all this I checked to see if I didn't accidently installed the old 780...! I didn't.

Finally, after wiping away my tears, I did my third test: a fogged in flight with NI 4xSGMSAA. This really hurt my old 780: fps was 15.7. Then I tried the 980 Ti... 30.4!!!

Turns out, I guess, that the card DOES work (doubled the fps in foggy weather and NI 4xSGMSAA) but in my regular use it makes NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL. Obviously I won't pay 740 euro's to get better frames in fog...

Anyway, I thought that maybe I am overlooking something. I read about people going from a 780 to a 980 Ti and getting doubled frames all over the place. Are they using completely different settings somehow...? Is my resolution simply not enough for this card? Is an improvement in foggy situations really all I should expect?

Help! If you have some tips to unleash this card, let me know. Right now I am very disappointed and if no one has any ideas this card obviously is going back to the shop in no time.

I have no tips but I get about the same fps (23-30) over NYC with full right on scenery settings, water at medium, and shadows full right in overcast with ASN. This is with the NGX and 777 though as I don't own any carenado.

The change is my system is only an I7 2600k oc 4.2 with a 970 and 8 gig of ram. It's a 5 year old Alienware.

I think something didn't install correctly as your system should blow mine out of the water. May want Rob or somebody to help you out.

Sean Green

Jeroen, I would totally scrub the driver you now have installed in Safe Mode, ...make sure there are no past artifacts of other drivers...and then do a full current driver install again.  Finally, reboot your computer, to get to the Desktop, and also look at any nVidia Inspector settings you have...and return them to Global for all your flight sims..  Try that...and then see what FPS you get in different usage scenarios.  Finally, start tweaking nVidia Inspector...and see if they (FPS) go up..or perhaps...down, to therefore adjust accordingly. 

You'll figure this out...:)

To see if everything was installed correctly (drivers, etc.) I downloaded and installed 3D Mark and did the FireStrike test. Score was 15909 and it was better than 97% of all scores for a similar PC as mine. I also enabled 8xSGAA and it didn't hurt performance at all.

My guess is that those who had a huge improvement in fps when going from a 780 to a 980 Ti were using a lot higher resolution which killed the 780 but not the 980 Ti. My resolution is too low, I suppose, so there isn't much to gain. v3 is more CPU bound than I though it was.

The main problem is fps won't go up under regular circumstances. Performance doubles in fog wit 4xSGAA so the card does work but it just doesn't have enough to do and is probably waiting for the GPU. I have to say 8xSGAA looks pretty nice but it's not worth 730 euro... This card may be great for other games but I don't play other games so unless someone comes up with an idea I think this one is going back... Quite a disappointment.

Do your testing with a new flight not your saved flights. I had to delete all my saved flights when I swapped cards because of poor performance when running those flights.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

The GTX 980 TI really shines at resolutions above 1080p. Your old card would have had a croak attack at 1440p or 4K.

Do your testing with a new flight not your saved flights. I had to delete all my saved flights when I swapped cards because of poor performance when running those flights.

gb.

Tried that but didn't make a difference.

The GTX 980 TI really shines at resolutions above 1080p. Your old card would have had a croak attack at 1440p or 4K.

Yes, I suppose that's it. But going to a higher res (new monitor) would not give me a better performance: it would only let me keep my current performance at a higher res. I want better performance with my current settings LOL but that isn't going to happen, I see now.

I upgraded from a 660ti to 970 and noticed the same thing. No real fps increase but i could crank up the AA higher with no fps hit.

I kept the card because i had my AA quite low on the 660ti because it affected performance a fair bit.

Overall though i still get the impression its cpu that drives the fps more than the GC.

I upgraded from a 660ti to 970 and noticed the same thing. No real fps increase but i could crank up the AA higher with no fps hit.

I kept the card because i had my AA quite low on the 660ti because it affected performance a fair bit.

Overall though i still get the impression its cpu that drives the fps more than the GC.

Yes, better AA etc. but that's it. But to me the card is too expensive to only keep it for better AA... Bummer.

Agree. I wrote a "is that it?" Post here after buying the card. I guess in future it will be utilised more by p3d and worth it but you could just buy it then or something better.

Hhhmm... that all sounds to me, like I should buy such a ti card.... I drive three screens, one 15" in the Homecockpit and two 27" screens and the mean one is an UHD Dell... And I just have a GTX780 without ti.....  :mad: 

thanks for your hints....!

By the way.... Do anyone know, whether I could use a GTX780ti together with my GTX780 in P3DV3 or must they be identical?

Cheers, Stephan

i7 4790K @4,6Ghz (102x45), ASUS Maximus VII Hero, 16GB Corsair Venegance 1866, Corsair WC H100i, Gigabyte GTX 780 OC, 3x SSD (Win7, FSX, P3D), Dell UHD 27'", Saitek Homecockpit

I had this very same experience going from a 560Ti 1GB to an EVGA 760 4GB oc'd time ago. I wrote a post here as well. 

Now, I have been thinking about another swap to a 980Ti around Christmas as well, but I'm seriously rethinking this after your experience. Although I upgraded the monitor to 3440x1440 in the mean.

As you write, it comes down to the question is it really worth the price.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I did same test at KSEA, settings all max out, some traffic, fogged in, res 2560x1440, fps 17 - 19.

switched to ASN manual with 3m vis got 29.9 steady.

bob

Same her from GTX780 to 2 x GTX 970´s.

Better AA and shadows etc .I am using 1920x1200 but no FPS gain. 

SLI is great when putting all to the right but then there is VAS and undocking problems so i only use SLI for VFR with GA.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

The FSX code(p3d) is still CPU limited. I picked up amazing performance gains in GTA V when I moved from the 980 to the 980ti but got nothing in FS

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.