Sign in to follow this  

I must be losing my mind... Help...

The changes you mention shouldn't have any impact at all, afaik... Maybe you changed some AA settings? That might explain it. But a GPU is built to go for 100% so it's safe anyway.

EDIT

Oops, sorry, I see the question was for the 980 Ti club... of which I am not a member. ;)

Is that ok and safe?  Is it not like over reeving an engine?  

Your 3DMark score is pretty good for single GPU ... if you look at your 3DMark detail info results it should display your CPU and GPU temps.

Example here is my FireStrike 1.1 score:

f0b66f8fd85880e990c94e39916b11c5.jpg

Temps from that test:

74af55d3f611817d94946f3058129089.jpg

If you look at the temp readings that will give you an indication of any possible overheating issues ... mine are well below their threshold even with OC under load.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: Made a quick summary thread here with performance values: http://www.avsim.com/topic/476374-3dmark-results-5960x-2x-titan-x-and-3960x-1x-970/?p=3310449

Anecdotal but I have a 980TI and I see a nice improvement going from 2.5 to 3.0

The lighting looks better, clouds, bloom, fog, shadows all seem to have less performance impact. Oh and the joystick detection bug is gone! Definitely worth upgrading.

• Upvote 1

Hardware: i9 9900k@ 5Ghz  |  RTX 2080 TI  |  AORUS MASTER  |  58" Panasonic TV

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400

Hi guys been following this topic for a bit. I just tu upgraded to a 980ti with a 4690k at 4.6. I too am puzzled here. Unfortunately running a 1080 monitor the AA in p3d is terrible. I've even noticed that the efis in the ngx is unreadable unless at least 2x sgss is added. I require 4x sgss just to dampen the shimmering and still fb ksfo HD is a shimmering mess when sitting at the end of 28l. Unfortunately even with the 980ti I find 4x sgss to costly, drops into the high 20's with mid level settings, hdr off dense autogen no fxaa and low shadows. I was hoping for a little more. On another not in gpu-z sitting at the gate a ksfo I'm only showing 38% gpu use and 1576 mb of vram used but struggling for 30 fps with 4x sgss. I know the comment will be my CPU is unable to keep up, but its a haswell at 4.6 it shouldn't be too far behind

Hi guys been following this topic for a bit. I just tu upgraded to a 980ti with a 4690k at 4.6. I too am puzzled here. Unfortunately running a 1080 monitor the AA in p3d is terrible. I've even noticed that the efis in the ngx is unreadable unless at least 2x sgss is added. I require 4x sgss just to dampen the shimmering and still fb ksfo HD is a shimmering mess when sitting at the end of 28l. Unfortunately even with the 980ti I find 4x sgss to costly, drops into the high 20's with mid level settings, hdr off dense autogen no fxaa and low shadows. I was hoping for a little more. On another not in gpu-z sitting at the gate a ksfo I'm only showing 38% gpu use and 1576 mb of vram used but struggling for 30 fps with 4x sgss. I know the comment will be my CPU is unable to keep up, but its a haswell at 4.6 it shouldn't be too far behind

You could try DSR which will give you 4K AA quality on a 1080 screen which has a further upside that in  cloud performance will be better.

Thanks to the OP for sharing his experiences and being strong minded enough to return the card! You have helped a lot of people remove the stress in the decision about buying a new card. I can't believe they gave you a return. The card wasn't faulty and the shop could have just said to you that it is your bad luck because the card works fine.

The scary part about this is that if we did a a liquid nitrogen overclock of an intel chip to 6GHZ which is almost impossible to achieve, it still would not allow people to lock to VSYNC! Maths 6.0/4.5*30 = 40fps. ONLY 40FPS STILL 20 SHORT OF 60FPS!

My prediction is that the next developer be it Dovetail or LM are going to need to optimise the CPU loads and then push a whole heap of extra calculations onto CUDA. The reason is that people are not going to readily upgrade their PC's when they could just plop in a new PASCAL card to make dramatic gains in FPS on a future sim.

The scary part about this is that if we did a a liquid nitrogen overclock of an intel chip to 6GHZ which is almost impossible to achieve, it still would not allow people to lock to VSYNC! Maths 6.0/4.5*30 = 40fps. ONLY 40FPS STILL 20 SHORT OF 60FPS!

Edit: Opps I get it.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Thanks to the OP for sharing his experiences and being strong minded enough to return the card! You have helped a lot of people remove the stress in the decision about buying a new card. I can't believe they gave you a return. The card wasn't faulty and the shop could have just said to you that it is your bad luck because the card works fine.

Well, the lucky fact is that in my country (the Netherlands) you are allowed by law to return online purchases within 14 days, no questions asked. Obviously you have to return it in the original package and mint condition etc. but online shops can not refuse a return send and refund. If that hadn't been the case, I would never have purchased the card! In fact, I bought the card mainly to test it, not being sure at all if I actually wanted to keep it.

P.S. Obviously that law does not apply to software, food and things that er... involve er... hygiene... so there are limits. But when it comes to computer hardware you can easily order and test things to your liking. (Although I do presume a shop will put you on some sort of blacklist if you order and return things on a weekly basis. :wink: )

Do you have HDR and good level of AA turned on in XP10?  I had to turn OFF HDR because of stutters and very poor performance in XP10 (i.e. 20 fps in 10.40).  When HDR is enabled the AA choices are not the same, but even at just 4X ... I went thru a long process of diagnostics and finally came to a compromise of graphics settings (and that's on my 5960x and Titan X setup).  I was VERY disappointed with the compromises I had to make to get acceptable (30 FPS) performance in XP10 ... I love XP10's HDR (especially the night lighting), but I just can't use it even in simple aircraft.  

So when I see people commenting about XP10's great performance, I'm really really puzzled as I'm pretty good at getting the most out of my hardware and flight sims.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob...I run XPX.45RC with a GTX680 2 GB card..and get 30 FPS all the time...with the sim mostly at max.  If you can not get the same, with a Titan..then something has got to be off with your rig and settings...I have posted tons of pics and my settings with 30 clearly pumping out in the screen shot upper left.  Something has got to be not on the up and up...

Post Edit: ...HDR is always on...

Cheers,

Mitch

I'm going to add my experience to this "sad" club.. I just upgraded from a 780 to a 980ti .. to gain like 2 fps in p3d v3.1 in normal circumstances (I could see more in fog/smoke/effects environment but that happens in 1% of the cases), luckily I don't use this card just for p3d or I would have sent it back immediately (the improvement in almost any other game/sim is massive.. in example in DCS i almost doubled my fps!).

I run a resolution of 2560x1600 .. and my CPU is clocked at 4.2ghz.

Pretty disappointed if we talk about P3D only.

I'm going to add my experience to this "sad" club.. I just upgraded from a 780 to a 980ti .. to gain like 2 fps in p3d v3.1 in normal circumstances (I could see more in fog/smoke/effects environment but that happens in 1% of the cases), luckily I don't use this card just for p3d or I would have sent it back immediately (the improvement in almost any other game/sim is massive.. in example in DCS i almost doubled my fps!).

I run a resolution of 2560x1600 .. and my CPU is clocked at 4.2ghz.

Pretty disappointed if we talk about P3D only.

Sad that your experience of P3D hasn't worked out for you with the 980ti npole. I am running a 4790k o/c to 4.5ghz  (through a 980ti), and get friction burns from the speed of my mouse!!

Perhaps if you stick to the more fps-friendly DCS then you will not be so disappointed with your purchase?

Perhaps if you stick to the more fps-friendly DCS then you will not be so disappointed with your purchase?

As I mentioned, I take advantage of it with other games/sims... so no, I'm not disappointed of the purchase. It's just about FSX/P3D, I would have loved to have at least 30fps (capped fps) .. but sometime it goes in the 20's range, so neither I could have a smooth experience with a sucj low expectations.

When I tell my friends (who does know nothing about p3d and how it works) about my "great" 20-30 fps.. they laugh at me.. and I start to think they may be right. :)

As I mentioned, I take advantage of it with other games/sims... so no, I'm not disappointed of the purchase. It's just about FSX/P3D, I would have loved to have at least 30fps (capped fps) .. but sometime it goes in the 20's range, so neither I could have a smooth experience with a sucj low expectations.

When I tell my friends (who does know nothing about p3d and how it works) about my "great" 20-30 fps.. they laugh at me.. and I start to think they may be right. :)

Ouch!! I understand that - and know where you are coming from on that one!!  :good: 

As some of you know I ordered a GTX 980 Ti to see how much better it performed compared to my GTX 780 (6 GB) in P3D v3. I run Windows 10 64 bit and an i7- 4790K @ 4.4 plus 16 GB RAM. I use a res of 1920x1080. Today the card arrived and so full of expectation I installed it, reinstalled the driver, flushed the shaders and created a new p3d.cfg.

I have three flights saved with the default Carenado on autopilot flying at some 1000 ft towards New York and Seattle and one near Seattle but fogged in, using pretty high/ultra settings (most sliders right). For these tests I have fps set at unlimited.

Above New York my old GPU gave me 21,5 fps. The 980 Ti gave me... 21.3. That's even a fraction lower. The same with Seattle, there fps was o.2 higher or so.

So I tested with my regular settings: extremely dense autogen but no traffic, water quality off, etc. Above New York the old GPU gave me 27.4, the new one 27.8...

Next the same test but now with NI 4xSGMSAA: result old 20.1, new 21.7. Wow. That's 1.6 difference...

After all this I checked to see if I didn't accidently installed the old 780...! I didn't.

Finally, after wiping away my tears, I did my third test: a fogged in flight with NI 4xSGMSAA. This really hurt my old 780: fps was 15.7. Then I tried the 980 Ti... 30.4!!!

Turns out, I guess, that the card DOES work (doubled the fps in foggy weather and NI 4xSGMSAA) but in my regular use it makes NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL. Obviously I won't pay 740 euro's to get better frames in fog...

Anyway, I thought that maybe I am overlooking something. I read about people going from a 780 to a 980 Ti and getting doubled frames all over the place. Are they using completely different settings somehow...? Is my resolution simply not enough for this card? Is an improvement in foggy situations really all I should expect?

Help! If you have some tips to unleash this card, let me know. Right now I am very disappointed and if no one has any ideas this card obviously is going back to the shop in no time.

This is still the major issue with P3D.

What you are seeing is that the game is bottlenecked in CPU intensive situations. I see the same thing at heavy airports in the NGX. I can literally turn every slider to zero and still not see higher FPS. I also find that I can turn things way, way up that are GPU dependent and see no performance hit. This tells me the GPU has plenty of overhead but the CPU is holding everything down in certain situations.

I guess the only way to fix this is with more CPU. I've got an old 2500k at 4.6GHZ that still works well enough.

Is this overall conclusion still valid for the P3D v3.2? I have a 760 4GB running Full HD (4770K 4.5 GHz and 16 GB 2133 MHz) and it's somewhat disappointing...

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

Is this overall conclusion still valid for the P3D v3.2? I have a 760 4GB running Full HD (4770K 4.5 GHz and 16 GB 2133 MHz) and it's somewhat disappointing...

It is.. nothing has changed. You could surely tweak this or that other gfx settings to squeeze the power from a better gpu, but as soon you hit the CPU (almost ever with p3d!), you'll face the same issues.

Upgrade your GPU if you use it (also) for other apps/games... if it's only about P3D, it's a waste of money IMO (for now at least..).

PS: in 5 days nVidia will show the new x70/x80 cards (not Ti), so considering to purchase a new gfx card today, is wrong overall.