Sign in to follow this  
MikeT707

Really Impressed with P3D v3

After using v3 for a few days I just wanted to say that I have been very pleased with v3 performance, as well as its look and feel. It is SMOOOOOOTH and the ability to define HDR is great. Clouds look way better than v2 and I do not notice any stuttering whatsoever.

In fact, the performance impressed me so much that I decided to upgrade my video card from an nvidia 770/4 to an nvidia 970/4 and noticed a nice bump is FPS. I will probably look to moving from an intel 3570k to either a 6600k or 6700k. 

Also, as a test, I wanted to compare it to FSX so I flew around Phoenix and maxed out settings in both platforms except for traffic, which I kept at 30%. FPS for FSX was mostly in the 20's and dropped to mid to low 10's around Sky Harbor. P3D, however, was cranking along with FPS in the 30's and 40's and looking great doing it. Mind you, maxed out in P3D is more than maxed out in FSX, especially since I had all shadows in P3D casting and receiving.

All in all I am very pleased with this platform and this is in no way a v2.6. I am looking forward to new features that third party software developers will add to take advantage of the new tech like PMDG with the new camera view that RSR announced. I am also looking forward to new features that v3.1, v3.2, and beyond will bring now that the platform is mostly stable.

Excellent job LM!!!

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Ditto.. I am going to call myself a LM P3DV3 fan (LOL :)

I am tempted to splurge on a new Video card (I am still on GTX 670 with 3 24" screen + fourth 19" ) and even a new CPU.... But I was able to port over all most of my scenery without reinstall in the same PC... so for now I am going to stick withmy current system.

I turned on HT on my CPU and got a new boost so I am ok for now

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Also, as a test, I wanted to compare it to FSX so I flew around Phoenix and maxed out settings in both platforms except for traffic, which I kept at 30%. FPS for FSX was mostly in the 20's and dropped to mid to low 10's around Sky Harbor. P3D, however, was cranking along with FPS in the 30's and 40's and looking great doing it. Mind you, maxed out in P3D is more than maxed out in FSX, especially since I had all shadows in P3D casting and receiving.

May I ask you which version of FSX you used for such test? FSX SP" Acceleration or FSX-SE?

Thanks

What version did you get? If it's the Academic, does it still have that annoying watermark on-screen that says it's the academic version..?

does it still have that annoying watermark on-screen that says it's the academic version..?

Yes it does.

From EGFF to YSSY

If it's the Academic, does it still have that annoying watermark on-screen that says it's the academic version..?

Yes it does.

Let's just say ShowInfoText=0 in the Prepar3D.cfg hides everything :)

(but alas, Shift+Z as well)

May I ask you which version of FSX you used for such test? FSX SP" Acceleration or FSX-SE?

Thanks

I was using FSX Acceleration. I might run some additional comparisons but wow, what a difference.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I tried a flight out of EGLL in 4k, almost maxed out settings, PMDG 777, ASN, MyTraffic 6 with 25% traffic (i7 6700k @4,5 GHz, 970 GTX).

I only turned off HDR because I don't like the colors it produces (I tried different settings and all of them did not look good).

With 2.5 I had a CTD everytime I did this. 3.0 no problems at all!

Great work LM!

After playing a lot to install my addons of 2.5, I have v3 now there, where I had 2.5 before. For my expectations, it is running perfect and is giving me a new impression, when flying low over complex scenery.

But can you do a 13+ hour flight with full settings + highly detailed airport scenery in a complex aircraft such as the PMDG 777 with real world weather and AI traffic without getting an OOM or being close to it? 

What version did you get? If it's the Academic, does it still have that annoying watermark on-screen that says it's the academic version..?

Yeah that Academic watermark is blinding isn't it    :vava:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Let's just say ShowInfoText=0 in the Prepar3D.cfg hides everything :)

(but alas, Shift+Z as well)

Ah ok, thanks! I had read somewhere it was not "part of" the standard information lines and it still remained even if you hid that text...

Yeah that Academic watermark is blinding isn't it    :vava:

Yeah.. clearly you don't have OCD....

But can you do a 13+ hour flight with full settings + highly detailed airport scenery in a complex aircraft such as the PMDG 777 with real world weather and AI traffic without getting an OOM or being close to it? 

There have been many people reporting no OOM's when flying with highly detailed airport scenery in a complex aircraft with highly immersive settings in v3. This is now the rule rather than the exception. v3 code was refactored to manage VAS usage. I understand one method, I am sure of many, is to unload scenery data when the aircraft moves a certain distance from it rather than retaining it until you OOM.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Well its good to know that for those of you that have stayed with the P3D/FSX platform that VAS has been finally sorted out after all these years. V3 still isn't a big improvement enough for me to change from X-Plane though. 

There have been many people reporting no OOM's when flying with highly detailed airport scenery in a complex aircraft with highly immersive settings in v3. This is now the rule rather than the exception. v3 code was refactored to manage VAS usage. I understand one method, I am sure of many, is to unload scenery data when the aircraft moves a certain distance from it rather than retaining it until you OOM.

I did a REALLY long flight from LAX to OMDB with a nice approach over the coastline of OMDB just to view the FlyTampa Dubai Addon.

So this is a really long flight, changes from night to day, weather changes with ASN, a lot of Traffic in KLAX and OMDB with MyTraffic... and the great detailed FlyTampa Addon at the end -> no memory problems!

Here are some screnshots: http://imgur.com/a/tT7nW

I almost maxed out the settings at 4K... Guess they really did some internal memory management changes  :wink: