Sign in to follow this  
JYW

"You have control" (while I visit the bathroom)

Hi folks,

I just thought I'd share this little thing I made yesterday......  I was thinking about the light aircraft in FSX that would not normally ever have an autopilot fitted, but where for conveniance in simming, we'd like the opportunity to stabilize the aircraft (for example for a quick bathroom visit!).

Of course, you can just add an existing autopilot gauge in to such aircraft, as a pop up, and it will do the job. But for me, it looks awkward having a big KFC225 style AP pop-up in my light aircraft.

So I created "You have control".   From the outset, I'll say that this is really just a visual thing;  the device uses default AP functionality, but it does so in a visual presentation that differs from that of an autopilot:-

Click, to see full size image

2015-110.jpg

The gauge is a pop up that can be added simply and quickly to any aircraft in FSX (should work fine in P3D too).   There is only one button/function, which is used to pass control of the aircraft from yourself (user), to your virtual companion in the right seat.

When control is passed, your co-pilot will simply fly the aircraft straight and level;  he'll maintain altitude and keep the wings level for you.    Perfect for some sightseeing, or that trip to the bathroom.

The only requirement for using the gauge, is that the [autopilot] section of the aircraft that it's added to, must contain the entries default_pitch_mode=2, and default_bank_mode=1.  Those values must be set, in order that he does his job correctly.

This was really just for fun and I hope you don't mind me sharing it here. 

If by chance there's interest in using the gauge, I could add it to the AVSIM file library.

Cheers!

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Yep, I think it's a good idea to upload it to the library.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks very much for the feedback guys. :)  Yes, I will definitely upload the gauge to the AVSIM file library.  I am currently just making some final tweaks.  It should be available in the library within a week from today.   

Thanks again.

Bill

The file has now been added to the AVSIM File Library, and will be available after approval. :)

I'll pop back to this thread once it's approved and listed, to confirm, and to provide the link.

Thanks,

Bill

The file has now been added to the AVSIM File Library, and will be available after approval. :)

I'll pop back to this thread once it's approved and listed, to confirm, and to provide the link.

Thanks,

Thanks, looking forward to it.

This could be a very handy tool, thanks!

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Great idea! Thx!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

This looks great! Apologize if I missed it, but will this work for jets (already fitted with an autopilot) as well? I almost always hand fly without autopilot, but this would be superb to step away when the Blackhawks are on the powerplay! 

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot