Sign in to follow this  
csanchezdll

Data for IFR approaches

Hi all,

I made an IFR flight on my C172 from BIVM to BIKF (Iceland) yesterday, with VoxATC. Mostly uneventful: I was cleared to EL1W departure, and at EL direct to KEF; once near KEF, I was told to expect vectors to ILS RWY 29. However, as ATIS had said RWY 02 was in use, I had prepared that approach beforehand, so I asked for ILS RWY 02.

The strange thing happened then. I was cleared to ILS RWY 02, but told to report at SARAM. I could not find it on my charts. After some googling, I found SARAM was a holding point in ILS RWY 02 approach to BIKF some time ago (found it on some 2011 charts), but it is not present on current approach plates.

My question therefore is: where does VoxATC get approach data? I know it takes SID/STAR from Navigraph updates, but I suspect approachs are taken from FSX BGLs (which are quite old). Can someone confirm this?

Thanks!

Carlos

I thought it worked off of the first intersection that matched your current STAR if included in your flight plan - perhaps if you included the shared intersection that matched your approach not including the old one it might bypass old intersections and pick up from there - though not sure about this.

John

Carlos,

AFAIK, once you are cleared for an approach VoxATC uses whatever is coded in the bgl exclusively. The approaches that are shown when you hit '0' are the ones coded in the bgl, not the ones from Navigraph. I have modified many airport bgls to update the approaches and that is the only thing you can do to reflect current, real-world instrument approaches.

Regards,

Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

Thanks Jay, that is what I thought. In fact, I have checked the airport BGL with ADE and the old approach (including SARAM point) is there, so that is where it gets its data from.

I think I will be using ADE quite a lot for a while ;)

Carlos

Carlos,

At least we can use ADE to update the approaches. I'm very grateful to Jon Masterson at ScruffyDuck Software for providing this invaluable tool to our community FOR FREE. However, if you start using ADE regularly I would strongly recommend purchasing the ProKey. It provides many helpful functions, and is an absolute steal at only $9.99US.

Writing approaches seems daunting at first, but with a bit of study (and alot of trial and error!) anyone can do it.

Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

Hi Jay,

I have used ADE in the past mostly to get the airport diagrams of custom airports (which do not always match RL published charts). I agree with you the tool is fantastic. Once I start usign it seriously for editing, I will byt the ProKey (9.99$ is almost a giveaway for it).

BR

Carlos