Sign in to follow this  
Joonas

Serious FPS trouble

Hello, so I upgraded my pc some time ago and since the performance in X-plane has just gone down... I used to have and old gtx 660 and a worse processor and 8gb ram and got more fps than with this setup, but the weird thing is what ever settings I use i just can't get good fps... and my CPU usage is being very low.

Specs: Intel core i5 3570k @4.4ghz, radeon r9 290x 4GB, 16gb ram

So heres the screenshots with very low end settings:

x-plane settings:

4f47603724a9752376271d8aa497a231.png

FPS with these settings:

9f41584ad389717a22bf83a456d6c1f8.png

CPU usage:

77b0b04ad20d30fbc043b46044439c79.png

Then with higher settings... :

d5ba9d66b1f13aba963dabb0190c5941.png

FPS pretty much the same... : 

9d9c91062d3cdc50eded043b0da0098b.png

and CPU usage.. :

b3b5f8b8baf4f151f7c6e6c193cf53fc.png

Surely something is wrong here.. if any one knows how I can fix my performance it would be great... surely with those low settings I should be getting easily like 40fps... 

What scenery are you running?  If yuo have photoreal, those settings will slow you down. Suggest first lowering Objects, Trees and Roads, set them to Medium or Low settings, they really do have an effect on your frames.

Also, lower World Detail Distance to HIGH, you dont need it on Very High. Reboot your machine and see how it goes.

Not running any photoscenery :/+I'm at airport that is not close any city on the test just forests here :D but the problem is that the fps just wont go high with any settings it seems..

One thing you could do, is setting all the rendering settings to minimum to see what are your baseline fps and if they are reasonable, and then work your way up increasing settings to understand if there's something holding you back.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

One thing you could do, is setting all the rendering settings to minimum to see what are your baseline fps and if they are reasonable, and then work your way up increasing settings to understand if there's something holding you back.

THIS!!!!

Use one of the rendering presets. Sometimes after a version update it can help a great deal to reset the settings and gradually work back up.

4xssaa might be a little high / I've noticed I can't run much of that using HDR even with my gtx 970. Unfortunately you get bad shimmers with much lower than 4

Anyway your 24 fps is about what I get

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Try Trees = populated, full screen, uncheck compress vram, HDR at 2X + (whatever follows - not at computer now) and you should be able to check 3d and gritty and the 3d cockpit option and pull from where you are with the second screenshot upward to the 40s - easily.

John

John Wingold

Hi Joonas,

You might try deleting "Preferences" in the "Output" folder of Xplane. I had low FPS after a rebuild and upgrade (970 card). and didn't have the performance I expected. So, I finally deleted preferences and had an improvement. Reboot. Type in new preferences.

I also like the "presets" as a starting point. I hope this is helpful.

Jim Morgan