Sign in to follow this  
Manny

after the P3DV3 install Can I remove the Program Data Cache from the c:drive?

I noticed my C drive with the SSD is running low on space after the P3DV3 install (I installed P3D on a larger tB SSD)

But its caching some scnery install files within  a folder Program Data

C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{3F2CF900-1437-4F93-9ABF-07B8B80E37DA}v3.0.10.14945

It has 

Install_scenery.msi

scene1.cab

scene2.cab

scene6.cab

taking up about 8Gigs of space

Can I move this folder or the file to another drive?

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Manny - I think this is something you might ask in the LM forum itself. My guess is that YES you can move it BUT what I see as an issue is that the repair install/uninstall might have a link to that folder in the registry. Wouldn't cause a problem until you actually needed it.

Perhaps Rob has first hand info on that.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks Vic

I have posted that Q at the P3D forum too

Instead of deleting I was thinking cut past it elsehwere and if I need it, I can put it back for the exact reason you stated.

Manny

Can I move this folder or the file to another drive?

Every application that uses Microsoft Windows Installer technology (including P3D and ours) creates such folder in \ProgramData\

As vgbaron mentioned, it's mainly there in case you accidentally delete files that are marked as crucial in the installer, in which case they would get restored from that cache. If you are keeping the original download package somewhere and not going to eventually use the repair feature, you may safely delete it.

Just be prepared to do a full install should anything go wrong with your P3D installation.

Every application that uses Microsoft Windows Installer technology (including P3D and ours) creates such folder in \ProgramData\

As vgbaron mentioned, it's mainly there in case you accidentally delete files that are marked as crucial in the installer, in which case they would get restored from that cache. If you are keeping the original download package somewhere and not going to eventually use the repair feature, you may safely delete it.

Just be prepared to do a full install should anything go wrong with your P3D installation.

\

I want to use the repair feature..but can I put the file back in that folder and then do a restore.

I jsut want to move it to another folder until the time I need to use the restore..in which case I will move it back to the Program data folder.with the same folder (cryptic)name?

Would that work?

Manny

\

I want to use the repair feature..but can I put the file back in that folder and then do a restore.

I jsut want to move it to another folder until the time I need to use the restore..in which case I will move it back to the Program data folder.with the same folder (cryptic)name?

Would that work?

Aviation Moser had the best suggestion so far, symbolic links will allow you to have the file on a completely different drive but still appear to the installer as being in the Program Data folder.  You don't ever need to move it back, just run the installer as normal and Windows will sort out the rest.

In case you need it, there is a walkthrough of making symbolic links here:http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

WOW! thank you for that.. I was brave enough to try this.. initially I made a few mistakes but then got it right I think.

1)I copied over the Package Cache folder to another location

2) removed (deleted) that folder from my c drive

3) went to the copied folder and right click and pick link source

4) went back to the Program Data folder in C: and right click and drop as a symbolic link

Easy Peezy

Saved 30GB on my c Drive. :)

I was running out of my 120GB SSD.. Maybe I can move more crap out of that... LOL :)

Since I had the same stuff for P3D V2. that was taking 10GB too

Manny