Sign in to follow this  
birdmanmike

Another d/l no-go with Asia

Sorry, after the C&SA download didn't work. now fixed, thank you . . .have a new problem

Finding that having downloaded all 4 parts of Asia, all in same folder, clicking on .001 doesn't bring up scenery folder , it brings up  "FreeMesh-+Asia.7z" in the 7z manager with a slightly different size. Trying to open or extract that gives me a copy of that of 13,762,560 Gb, still as a 7z in the same folder, then asks for a password????.  Hex editor shows as looking OK, but have tried downloading each part again but still the same - never shows scenery folder, does nor extract and always asks for password.  Seems bust.  All very nice but 24 hours of bandwidth and download time at my speed is yuch.

Now trying torrent, but that's a problem for me - getting intermittent internet connection crash from the torrent/leeches.  What gives with the presumably errored d/l's?

Oh good.  My max download speed is generally around 235 KB/s.  The torrent is currently giving me about 40 KB/s.  So about 4 days to go.  These servers are very, very, slow sometimes . . . !

Tried both that and latest beta - the message is unable to open archive or asking for password depending on how I try to open/extract,  Able to do as said earlier  and alsoable to combine the parts as per 7z instructions but both ways ask for password - as in a corrupted download.  The download size for part 1  ( .001) is the same as for  .002 and .003.. I think it is key that the click on part .001 in 7z manager does not come up with a scenery folder (as in your example), but the same FreeMeshX -+Asia.7z folder, still as a zip.  Clicking on that asks for password.  Trying to extract from explorer via 7z (or PeaZip) goes direct to asking for password.  it appears as though it's either a straight corrupted .001  or the zip has been zipped again on the server . . .   After 48 hours I still only have 55% from the torrent.  the four parts as direct download were about 15 hours.  can someone try downloading the 4 parts and extracting as per your guide as I did.  I think one part is corrupt in the server - probably part .001.

Annoying  :mad:

Edit, just tried with other beta, still the same - BUT noted that when trying to combine as per 7z, only the first 3 parts are seen, it doesn't see part 4, further check ongoing

Doing as reply. 

The problem is that part 4 of the download is incorrectly named.  On download it comes as;

FreeMesh- Asia.7z.004         with a space after the  -       it should be named:

FreeMesh-+Asia.7z.004       with a + as the other parts, no space.  The file on the download server is incorrectly named. I renamed and it and the extract worked

On extract I also got N20E090 as CRC failed error - fortunately got that from incomplete torrent

So answer is - Asia  part .004 wrongly named on server.   Also N20E090.bgl    is wrong from the download when extracting  though same size as in the torrent

So a filename problem and a bug in N20E090      -  hope that helps!

Birdmanmike,

The first three parts are the same size because I split the download into single-layer DVD size volumes, in the case that someone wanted to share with others on DVDs. The last part is smaller because the remaining volume is simply the remainder of the data.

I'm sorry you are experiencing slow downloads on either method. Generally, MediaFire is very quick, and that's why I chose it, and I'm paying them to upload quick! To download one part, it usually takes me less than 10 minutes. For example, I am downloading at my ISP bandwidth limit:

oEixrNs.png

Also, I'm sorry the torrents are going slowly and that they cause intermittent connection issues. I've been seeding non-stop at over 1,000 KB/s for months now, moving well over 4 TB of data. Others have also been doing the same.

Also, that is not normal 7-zip behavior, and I've never seen anything like that where + signs are added to filenames or where passwords are needed, and I've been a 7Z user for over a decade. Very strange.

A simple test extraction using the files on the server was again successful using version 9.20 of 7-zip.

0PYea4P.png

Also, there have been about 6,000 downloads of FreeMeshX - Asia, and this is the first I've heard of this problem, so it must not be systematic among all users.

I cannot reproduce what you are experiencing which saddens me because it's harder to help you that way.

Here are some MD5sums to help you verify the integrity of your Asia downloads.

.001: 3cd6bb276a93b3a45dc00a5145e55b20

.002: ffe2807a39f5f1e0e6f0a358af85c09b

.003: 19e78ba95a91a7005688133d52eb56f9

.004: 68cb53d097767541f8e3114360007008

Sorry Daniel, not moaning at you about download speeds, was juat a pain on the torrent because I couldn't get the 4 part download to work. Having fixed the filename the extract of 4 part worked though apart from that one .bgl

I notice you extracted from the server copies. The difference I have is that I downloaded those files and the filenames with -+ were not put in by 7z but exactly as the downloader delivered them. 7z didn't add the + and -, they came like that. I downloaded part 4 at least 3 times and the others twice. Parts 1,2 and 3 had the -+, part 4 just - (space). I'm checking again re part 4. I have a suspicion that it just needs identical filename before the .00x, hence when I changed - (space) to -+ all was OK in my case. I used a download manager so that might be it. Either way I do have all 13.3 Gb of Asia now after the filename fix so now got all. Thanks for MD5s, useful when you have rubbish broadband like me!

Thanks for all your efforts, it's well worth it. I look forward to patch 5 and the US update (with some trepidation!)

Mike

EDIT!!! I can now safely say that it WAS the download manager that replaced the space with a + . I just started part .001 and part 4 download again and cancelled the download manager to do download from IE with HTML The filenames now have no +,  just - (space), and is exactly as in your example. I have no idea why the DLM added the +instead of space or why different for part 4, but have at least learnt for a multipart the filename must be the same apart from the .00x. It was the different for part 4 that meant the extractor only saw parts 1-3

I only use a DLM because of d/l speeds , but I think I'll only use for torrents in future or try another. Extremely sorry to have started all this confusion. So it was the DLM that changed the filename and differently for part 4. That difference was why 7z failed the extract (the same as a partial download, which generally asks for a password also because not complete) because no end header found. All clear as mud. Thanks again

Oh good, we've found the problem then.

For FireFox, I use DownloadThemAll! as a download manager. I've been happy with it its speeds and I can verify the integrity of my downloads with MD5sums.