Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Payload

I have a question regarding payload on standard scheduled flight, let's say with 737-800. I set payload in NGX FMC and ussually hit random button to let it calculate "correct" weight. On my last flight hitting random stopped at 130 passengers and cargo weight at 2860kg/3100kg (fwd/aft), means 2860+3100=5960/130=45.8kg per passenger, which is quite much. Family of 3 will carry 135kg of luggage, screw that vacation lol.  :lol: So my question is, is this weight that fmc calculate luggage + some other cargo, or only luggage? Also, what is the average weight of luggage PER PASSENGER on standard scheduled or charter flight in RW? I think it is around 20-25kg? I need that number to calculate cargo weight by myself.

Cheers and thank you in advance!

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

RW rules vary, but in the U.S. checked bags are generally 40 - 50 lbs before the passenger gets hit with higher luggage fees.  Each passenger also gets to bring a carry on bag, which generally is not weight limited, but limited by external dimensions, so a carry on bag could easily be another 20 pounds.  Then there is the weight of the passenger, which in the U.S. can be pretty hefty.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

So, let's say the average weight of luggage is around 60 pounds (27kg) per passenger? But that is still way off from 45kg by NGX calc. 

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

The weight varies depending on the regulation covering your flight. At my airline one of the preflight checks is to review the FMC default settings and verify that the Standard Checked, Heavy Checked and Carry-On bags are set correctly. 

I haven't flown the NGX in a while, isn't there a way to change those settings? 

Reik Namreg

The weight varies depending on the regulation covering your flight. At my airline one of the preflight checks is to review the FMC default settings and verify that the Standard Checked, Heavy Checked and Carry-On bags are set correctly. 

I haven't flown the NGX in a while, isn't there a way to change those settings? 

I can't recall any of these settings in the FMC.

I wouldn’t over think it. The simple answer is that weight is weight so as long as the ZFW is the same value you planned with and the %MAC is in limits you should be fine. Most airlines haul cargo along with passenger luggage, so this value could be anything. Checked baggage is usually weighed, so actual values are used instead of an average. If you do still want to get more granular then you should also be modifying the DOW based on the type of flight and number of crew.

Brian

Brian W

KPAE

The baggage/cargo split will vary depending on the airline and the route, as will the average amount of baggage, so it's quite difficult to give a realistic average.

For instance, on a short domestic flight, chances are there'll be hardly any hold baggage. Likewise if the airline charges to put a bag in the hold. Charter holiday flights are unlikely to have much if any cargo on board, whereas a scheduled airline with a cargo division may routinely be carrying (aircraft type dependent, obviously) a couple of tonnes of cargo and/or mail, depending on the destination (perhaps even to the same destination as the charter flight!).

As a very rough guess, if you wanted to work out the split you could probably assume each passenger will have around 20kg if it's a destination/airline where most people are likely to have hold luggage, plus​ 5kg or so of carry-on.

As I say, it's not really possible to give a definitive answer. Some destinations are notorious for extreme amounts of luggage -- it's a brave person who'd try using the "standard" 22kg for takeoff calculations ex-LOS or EBB, for instance!

The baggage/cargo split will vary depending on the airline and the route, as will the average amount of baggage, so it's quite difficult to give a realistic average.

For instance, on a short domestic flight, chances are there'll be hardly any hold baggage. Likewise if the airline charges to put a bag in the hold. Charter holiday flights are unlikely to have much if any cargo on board, whereas a scheduled airline with a cargo division may routinely be carrying (aircraft type dependent, obviously) a couple of tonnes of cargo and/or mail, depending on the destination (perhaps even to the same destination as the charter flight!).

As a very rough guess, if you wanted to work out the split you could probably assume each passenger will have around 20kg if it's a destination/airline where most people are likely to have hold luggage, plus​ 5kg or so of carry-on.

As I say, it's not really possible to give a definitive answer. Some destinations are notorious for extreme amounts of luggage -- it's a brave person who'd try using the "standard" 22kg for takeoff calculations ex-LOS or EBB, for instance!

Thanks for explanation! One thing, I don't understand about charter holiday flights you mentioned. You said not much if any cargo on board, means baggage + carry-on without random cargo (mail, etc)? I think that charter flight are packed with baggage (family vacation at the sea), maybe even more than scheduled flights?

I'm currently working on a simple app for calculating payload, so that is the exact reason I needed this valuable info. Thanks!

Thanks for explanation! One thing, I don't understand about charter holiday flights you mentioned. You said not much if any cargo on board, means baggage + carry-on without random cargo (mail, etc)? I think that charter flight are packed with baggage (family vacation at the sea), maybe even more than scheduled flights?

I'm currently working on a simple app for calculating payload, so that is the exact reason I needed this valuable info. Thanks!

No problem. I should have made clear that when I referred to "cargo" I meant freight as opposed to baggage. So a "bucket and spade" flight with a charter airline would certainly have lots of baggage in the hold (and carry-ons in the cabin) -- but is unlikely to have much freight in addition to that, whereas a scheduled airline may well carry freight/mail in addition to hold baggage on many flights, particularly if the airline in question has a cargo division. Of course, the quantity and type of freight will vary significantly depending on the destination (obviously there are some places that are more likely to have large freight loads going in but very little going out again -- and vice-versa).

Hope that's helpful!