Sign in to follow this  
k1fox

FSX/P3D

Hey guys. Just coming back from almost a year off. Hope all has been good. Anyway, I had to do a reinstallation of Windows and I plan to now reinstall my FSX and get back into simming. However, I'm considering P3D v3. I have never used it but its newer and allegedly better than FSX with its graphics etc. However, I have many addons for FSX and from what Im reading they may not work as they will require a new installer. Should I just stick with good ole FSX like you guys? Are there any benefits of FSX over P3D?

Welcome back K1fox.  If you're just getting back into it, may I offer a third option?  I suggest picking up FSX Steam Edition, which is compatible with most, if not all, your FSX add-ons.  It's cheap and VAS management is slightly improved; more importantly, most of the tweaks are already installed and installation is a snap. Once you get back into it, and discover that you want to make a long term investment, then I would suggest moving to P3D.  Myself, I'm waiting for the dust to settle before moving platforms; we'll be presented with several options over the next year (e.g. Dovetail).  Indeed, our hobby FINALLY seems to be progressing forward. 

Matt King

I'm going through the current pains of p3d v3 only to find the aerosoft bus won't install into it and ut2 keeps crashing. Give it a few weeks then look at v3

14ppkc-6.png

I got the steam edition but it failed to start. Idk why. So i plan to just reinstall my old version and manually retweak it. Im going to have to give the new version of prepar3d more time because i need my Aerosoft Airbus and other addons such as Orbx sceneries and a2a planes.

If you can't stand having no shadows, go DX10 Fixer or P3D....

If you can live without it ( the shadows... ), and don't want to pay a fortune in duplicate add-ons for P3Dv3 that you already have for free, and exactly equal in FSX / FSX:SE, I seriously recommnend to wait for whatever 2016 / 2017 bring in terms of new civil flight simulation products, and enjoy FSX:SE if you can, because it indeed offers additional stability over FSX Acceleration or Gold.

I bought P3Dv2 2 months ago - that was one of the most stupid decisions in my simmer life, and even worst - bought the PMDG 777 for it, that I already had in FSX:SE !  Now I would have to pay again for a patch ( which actually is all that v3 is! ) - No way!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

First of all, you can get a refund on Prepar3D v2 or v3. I don't know if it's possible for FSX Steam.

At this time, if you are totally new to Prepar3D, I would recommend to wait few months for all the installers for your addons. For some of them you would have to pay again (if you have FSX license), but many others are free.

See this poll here: 87% of people who bought v3 thinks it was worth it:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/475721-poll-your-first-impressions-of-v3/

I have finally set up P3D v3 and I think it is a major step forward. No, it's not just a bugfix (238 features and changes in v3.0, next features are incoming). There are major VAS improvements, everything is smoother, better UI, faster loading etc.

Below video of Froogle changing his mind about v3

And here, in depth comparision of VAS usage between v2.5 and v3.0.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

If you can't stand having no shadows, go DX10 Fixer or P3D....

If you can live without it ( the shadows... ), and don't want to pay a fortune in duplicate add-ons for P3Dv3 that you already have for free, and exactly equal in FSX / FSX:SE, I seriously recommnend to wait for whatever 2016 / 2017 bring in terms of new civil flight simulation products, and enjoy FSX:SE if you can, because it indeed offers additional stability over FSX Acceleration or Gold.

I bought P3Dv2 2 months ago - that was one of the most stupid decisions in my simmer life, and even worst - bought the PMDG 777 for it, that I already had in FSX:SE !  Now I would have to pay again for a patch ( which actually is all that v3 is! ) - No way!

I tend to disagree..... The ORBX Community has come a long way to update all of their addons to P3D V3... about 75% at this point. Aircraft is another issue... Don't know about freeware but I am seeing a noticeable difference with P3D V3 given the newer memory allocation and loading compared to FSX Steam.

I cant totally compare until I have all the same on it for both. I run both side by side...

FSX Steam is definitely a more economic way to go but their support is terrible... and as you have had... tricky to install. Buit once installed.... Works better than the bopxed version.

I have a fully loaded system but still get out of memories at the last moment usually landing which sucks.... so I am leaning toward P3D. Time will tell.....

• Upvote 1

Yes, true - although I do no longer use FSX, FSX:SE or P3D3 nor X-Plane, and really do not foresee any future use of those platforms, but the latest time I tested P3D3 I really liked it overall - smooth and stable like no previous incarnation of MSFS...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Yes, true - although I do no longer use FSX, FSX:SE or P3D3 nor X-Plane, and really do not foresee any future use of those platforms, but the latest time I tested P3D3 I really liked it overall - smooth and stable like no previous incarnation of MSFS...

So technically you're not using anything lol. Anyway guys thanks for the reponses but I now have working copy of FSXSE which I got during the Black Friday Steam sale and its working fine. The one before wasn't the right one. I also tried P3d v3 but there was a bug with my joystick so I didn't bother with it anymore.

So technically you're not using anything lol. Anyway guys thanks for the reponses but I now have working copy of FSXSE which I got during the Black Friday Steam sale and its working fine. The one before wasn't the right one. I also tried P3d v3 but there was a bug with my joystick so I didn't bother with it anymore.

DCS, Bos, Rof and Condorsoaring :-)

Main Simulation Rig: