Hi there

It's been a while since I started up my computer... And I noticed that  If I run any CPU intensive program Like P3D or even GTA 5 I get very low cpu usage (about 30% ?!) resulting in lower fps. I run windows 10 64-bit and I have An i5-4200M (yes it's a laptop but some time ago it was just normal at about 80-90%) Does anybody have any clues?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

As it's a laptop, so prone to overheating, is the CPU throttling back?

Check the temps under load.

As it's a laptop, so prone to overheating, is the CPU throttling back?

Check the temps under load.

Thanks for your reply but I can confirm when flying four hours, my cpu is running fine at 2.50 GHz

You say it's running fine, but it's not as you lack performance.

What actually is the CPU temperature? How far away from TJMax? What's the  GPU temp?. Graphics cards can throttle back too.

If you haven't already got one install a temperature monitoring utility, like RealTemp, or CoreTemp. You will need to monitor the temperature while under load.

I'm not familiar with W10 so has some kind of power saving feature kicked in?

Are there any programs running in the background that shouldn't be, thus sapping performance?

Have you run a virus scan? A virus can degrade performance.

Have you tried system maintenance, deleting unnecessary files and a full defrag?

What about Scan Disc, checking the drive for errors?

Mechanical hard drive or SSD?

If compatible with your drive, install Crystal Disc Info to check the smart status of your hard drive.

I hope some of the above helps. :smile:

Run prime95 to test it.

That will run run your cpu to the max. Just an FYI, I have seen an issue in win10 where the task manager does not show the correct frequencies of the CPU due to downclocking, so forget using that for testing. use CPU-Z to confirm what frequency the cpu cores are running at during the prime95 torture test. if they are running lower than expected it could be a bad power supply, or a non certified power supply (I can help work around that with you if needed)

If during prime95 the cpu is running at the correct frequency and at 99% usage then you should start lookign at affinity mask and process priority of the flight sim.