Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

vFlyteAir SR20 Released

Here goes - my first impressions after flying and figuring out things for the last two hours.

- Great textures.  Really great, actually.  Modelling is superb as well.  I'm not a crazy nit-picker, nor would I be able to tell if something wasn't perfect to the real deal, but everything is very pleasing to the eye.  The only caveat might be the pilot / co-pilot, which aren't terrible, but don't match the really superb modelling of the rest of the aircraft. I do wish the pilot was hideable while the ground elements are showing.

- A lot of depth to the PFD / MFD.  That MFD full engine page looks superb.  I love the checklists, and the ability to display your own charts is nice as well.

- I found the icons/font on the map to be very hard to read unless I zoomed in on the MFD quite close.  I'm not sure if this is doable or realistic, but it would be nice if the map icons and names increased in size as you zoomed in on the map with the range dial.  Right now, zooming way in still results in itty bitty airport / fix / vor icons and names.

- I thought the use of the SD card graphics for the clickspots to open/save flight plans was quite smart.

- Flight plan entry really requires one to read the manual first.  Once that advice is followed, it works quite nicely.  I did find the use of the FMS inner knob to be a bit annoying, however, thank you vFlyteAir for making custom commands for binding keys / buttons to the FMS keypad.  That is greatly appreciated.

- The aircraft handles pretty well on the ground, and seems as it should in the air.  Not going to comment much on that since I'm not a pilot, and unless something was glaringly obvious, it'd likely escape my attention.  Speeds seem spot on though, and it hand flies very nicely.

- I have mixed opinions about the sounds.  At idle it sounds good, and of course the custom stuff is great.  However, at higher revs it sounds like there's an audible loop, or roughness that repeats.  Also, when applying throttle, the engine sound doesn't seem to smoothly increase - or it lags behind your application of throttle.  Hard to describe.  Might be realistic, but I wouldn't know.

- The parachute works as advertised... I just had to test it out!

- Performance seems very good. I keep my vsync at 1/2 though, so unless something knocks my frames below 30, I really have no perception of one aircraft being more demanding than another. 

Overall, I'm very pleased.  Well worth the money spent!

Well, until I can perhaps get some help from you...this has been my experience.:

Purchased it.

Installed the folder.

Ran XP,   chose the plane,

Had the cockpit, but half of the instrument panels click points and controls do not work.   Have no instrument screens.  Went to the outside view, and slowly advanced the throttle....the plane went on its tail...and started doing uncontrolled wheelies around the airport.   

Shut down the sim.

Found the hot fixes and applied them as directed.   

Fire up the sim....and the plane sitting at the airport, still no FMS, MFD's....control axis are reversed....and my sim is at 3 FPS, totally unusable.

Shut down the sim...and removed the Cirrus SR20 folder onto the Desktop.

Fired up the sim..and everything is good and back to normal....30 FPS....other planes work....flight controls...work....

Need some help please....with hotfixes in....this plane sitting in my General Aircraft Folder, tanks my sim. Something is wrong.  Any suggestions?

I mean...how simple should this installation be?   You open the zip....place all in a folder....transfer it over to the G.A. folder of the sim....and that should be it. 

Jimmy..how did you get this plane to work?  How did you install it?

Mitch

As for no avionics,  Have you turned them on, they are off by default.(4th or 5th rocker switch from the left).

The other issues your having, I can not comment on. Plane runs great on my system. FPS is about the same as any carenado plane i have. Maybe even a little beter.

Installation should be straight forward and you said, just copy the folder in and your good to go. I suspect you may have something odd in your XP installation. 

Try disabling a few pluggins to see if there is a compatibility issue somewhere.  For the heck of it, try running updating X-plane again and see if anything was missing or corrupt.

Hope you get it worked out, its a really fun plane!

Rob

Jimmy..how did you get this plane to work?

Mitch,  I haven't had the time to fly it in the past little while, so I haven't updated with any hotfixes.  Install was simple and straightforward, nothing special.  Unzip and place in an aircraft folder.

I had no issues as you describe, and I've seen a few screens from others so I'm assuming they haven't either. I'm thinking you might need to talk to VFlyteAir, or perhaps Mario will chime in??

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

As for no avionics,  Have you turned them on, they are off by default.(4th or 5th rocker switch from the left).

The other issues your having, I can not comment on. Plane runs great on my system. FPS is about the same as any carenado plane i have. Maybe even a little beter.

Installation should be straight forward and you said, just copy the folder in and your good to go. I suspect you may have something odd in your XP installation. 

Try disabling a few pluggins to see if there is a compatibility issue somewhere.  For the heck of it, try running updating X-plane again and see if anything was missing or corrupt.

Hope you get it worked out, its a really fun plane!

Rob

Thanks Rob...will try to get this sorted out...really wanted this for sure!  Thanks for the tip...do all your click points work?

Mitch

Mitch,  I haven't had the time to fly it in the past little while, so I haven't updated with any hotfixes.  Install was simple and straightforward, nothing special.  Unzip and place in an aircraft folder.

I had no issues as you describe, and I've seen a few screens from others so I'm assuming they haven't either. I'm thinking you might need to talk to VFlyteAir, or perhaps Mario will chime in??

Thanks Jimmy...must be having a bad day...;(

I tried to send my log twice to Mario in PM, but the system now says that I can't post until tommorrow, 24 hours locked out?   Why?!?!?!?

Ok...time to turn off the computer...and get on with other things...

Sesquashtoo, as I wrote in the other thread, please send me your log.txt. Without that, I have currently no idea why the screens don't come up.

Please also try to load the aircraft cold and dark, without running engines. Switch on battery 1 and avionics. Any difference?

Edit: I now saw your other postings as well. Send me your log file to mario.donick (at) live.de.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Sesquashtoo, as I wrote in the other thread, please send me your log.txt. Without that, I have currently no idea why the screens don't come up.

Please also try to load the aircraft cold and dark, without running engines. Switch on battery 1 and avionics. Any difference?

Edit: I now saw your other postings as well. Send me your log file to mario.donick (at) live.de.

Thanks Mario...will do shortly...thank you!    The other weird thing, was as I gently applied throttle, the whole aircraft heeled back on it tail..and then started to spin and circle in larger circles, over the airport.  I cycled the throttles, but nothing was happening...like they were locked up.  I hope to get this all sorted out by today...and fly this beaut!

Mario, I have just sent you my XP.41 log to the email address you show here...and thank you!

Hooray!   Went through fire-drills, and sorted out a conflict, got the plane working....and finally VERY NICE~

Mario...we are good....no need to delve into the log, unless you want to....

Here's the shots of my first in-cockpit and taxi to active....whew!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CirrusSR20_5.png

CirrusSR20_4.png

Mario....almost ready for take-off....and LOVE the sound package...inside, outside, the engine clatter is superb!  The prop 'growl', grabbing some air, as you advance the throttle is the best that I have heard, bar none!  GAWD...am I happy to have this up and running...:)))))

The model is gorgeous...and love the glimmer given off of the wing....wow!   I surely recommend this bird!  Bye for now, folks.....have places to go...people to see....land to cover...

CirrusSR20_6.png

In using this plane, on my system with a GTX 680 2GB...SkyMaxx is reporting only 38M left as Video RAM still available. I believe that it is the limits of my system, as this plane has LOTS of rendering features, such as all windows with rain drops, as soon as rain is evident.  So...your experience with a better card (more RAM), might yield better FPS performance than I can at the moment.  I'll  have to wait until I have a card with more vid resources...and hope the FPS readings climb back up! 

CirrusSR20_7.png

Post Edit:

Final comment.  By dropping my XP to the following settings (reasonable to be sure, and still nice...) as you can see, I got my FPS up to 16 on the ground...and that will climb as I climb.... so...each system will vary with this bird..but again...I do recommend it.  Beautifully rendered model, great sound package, and lots of features modeled, like very detailed rain drops covering the windows, where precipitation is seen. I have not had a chance to run with all the avionics...but will later read the manual...and do so.

CirrusSR20_10.png

CirrusSR20_9.png

Mario...good stuff!  Keep tweaking it...to get better 'n better...

Cheers,

Mitch'er

So, I believe it was Catstrator who made the Youtube video and commented on the sounds.  Have those been improved since?  According to Sesquashtoo, sound is amazing.  So, curious if there have been improvements made or it's just differing opinions here.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

In using this plane, on my system with a GTX 680 2GB...SkyMaxx is reporting only 38M left as Video RAM still available. I believe that it is the limits of my system, as this plane has LOTS of rendering features, such as all windows with rain drops, as soon as rain is evident.  So...your experience with a better card (more RAM), might yield better FPS performance than I can at the moment.  I'll  have to wait until I have a card with more vid resources...and hope the FPS readings climb back up! 

CirrusSR20_7.png

Post Edit:

Final comment.  By dropping my XP to the following settings (reasonable to be sure, and still nice...) as you can see, I got my FPS up to 16 on the ground...and that will climb as I climb.... so...each system will vary with this bird..but again...I do recommend it.  Beautifully rendered model, great sound package, and lots of features modeled, like very detailed rain drops covering the windows, where precipitation is seen. I have not had a chance to run with all the avionics...but will later read the manual...and do so.

CirrusSR20_10.png

CirrusSR20_9.png

Mario...good stuff!  Keep tweaking it...to get better 'n better...

Cheers,

Mitch'er

You may already be aware of this about the performance...Mario (PM him) offers a low resolution version of the plane that has solved my FPS and stutter issues. I also had to use compressed textures in my preferences because I was hitting my 4GB limit on my video card. Plane flies great and fluid like the rest of my fleet....no need to turn anything down.

Final comment.  By dropping my XP to the following settings (reasonable to be sure, and still nice...) as you can see, I got my FPS up to 16 on the ground...and that will climb as I climb....

Well, there are at least two settings I would reduce. First is the unnecessarily high antialiasing. You not only use 4xAA, you even combine it with FXAA, which in my eyes is a bit unnecessary, esp. at the high screen resolution you're running. Then, "complete" water reflection is also not necessary in many cases; most of the time, default is enough.Finally, you have locked your FPS, which is a bad idea when having FPS problems.

This said, there is indeed a low-res cockpit texture set available, if you want to try if that improves anything, mail me again.

So, I believe it was Catstrator who made the Youtube video and commented on the sounds.  Have those been improved since?  According to Sesquashtoo, sound is amazing.  So, curious if there have been improvements made or it's just differing opinions here.

Apart from a bug fix which is already included in all recent downloads, the sounds have not been changed yet; in update v1.1 some more corrections will be made. So basically what you hear in the few YT videos is what you get, which means it's indeed different opinions.

You not only use 4xAA, you even combine it with FXAA, which in my eyes is a bit unnecessary, esp. at the high screen resolution you're running.

Sorry Mario, but that gives the impression that a high resolution does not require high levels of AA; this may be the case on smaller monitors, but on larger monitors it is indeed required to combat shimmering.  4xSSAA + FXAA is barely adequate on my 32" 2560x1440 monitor.

Apart from a bug fix which is already included in all recent downloads, the sounds have not been changed yet; in update v1.1 some more corrections will be made. So basically what you hear in the few YT videos is what you get, which means it's indeed different opinions.

I do hope that some tweaks to the sounds will be forthcoming, as at higher RPM's I do notice a bit of a loop which can get annoying, and causes me to turn my sound down.  Other than that particular issue, the sounds are indeed very nice.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

4xSSAA + FXAA is barely adequate on my 32" 2560x1440 monitor.

On your what?? 32"??  :shok: Well, okay, maybe. I'm soooo used to run X-Plane without any AA at all on 1920x1080 (22") that 4xSSAA+FXAA looks like a total overkill to me.

Just for the record and the sake of comparison:

I use an i5-2320 3 GHZ, 8 GB RAM, NVidia GT530 (2 GB), Windows 10. Without SkyMaxx Pro I'd not be able to run X-Plane at all (or only when 0 clouds were visible). When I don't take screenshots, but use X-Plane just for entertainment (well... tbh, that has been very rarely the case in the last months. :-( ), I usually get between 19 to 25 FPS in HD aircraft such as the SR20 or the Carenado CT182, with HD mesh v3 (not extended DSF load), textures "very high", drawing distance "medium", HDR on, AA off, shadows off, reflections default. With HDR off it'd be much faster, but without HDR X-Plane is basically unusable during sunrise, sunset and nights, so I keep it. By the way, with P3D v2.5, for example the A2A C182, I get steady 25 to 30 FPS even in OrbX terrain and with nice-looking autogen, plus cockpit shadows and 4xAA.

I do hope that some tweaks to the sounds will be forthcoming, as at higher RPM's I do notice a bit of a loop which can get annoying, and causes me to turn my sound down.  Other than that particular issue, the sounds are indeed very nice.

Walker had fixed some bugs regarding sound change when power increases. I'll have to tell them about that loop.

You may already be aware of this about the performance...Mario (PM him) offers a low resolution version of the plane that has solved my FPS and stutter issues. I also had to use compressed textures in my preferences because I was hitting my 4GB limit on my video card. Plane flies great and fluid like the rest of my fleet....no need to turn anything down.

OK, thanks for this...I'm PM him for a copy...that would help.

Why don't you drop down to 2x AA instead of 4x?

Because I like that setting for visuals.  Looks better, in my opinion. :)

This said, there is indeed a low-res cockpit texture set available, if you want to try if that improves anything, mail me again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mario,

I just sent you another email....yes, please send back that lower rez edition...and let me try it out. Thanks in advance.

Mitch