Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

vFlyteAir SR20 Released

Thanks Mitch!

I will be getting this one too.

Jose

Jose, I'm sure you will really like it...for no doubt, that I did! :)

Composites always intrigued me, and that passenger-saving parachute emergency deployment, was an engineer thinking WAY outside the box....wow!  

What I don't understand...is that the system is not mandatory on commercial aviation....maybe three or four doors along the length of the aircraft's roof explode off...deploying the life-saving silk.....in three or four parachute sails.  How many hundreds of lives could this have saved...icing...stall,  Those poor souls in the Air France disaster could have had their lives saved...most of them...with a controlled decent to the ocean surface. Something to think about.

Well...$300,000.00 will buy you one of these new....if I have the price tag right.... :)  Parachute included....

• Upvote 1

Composites always intrigued me, and that passenger-saving parachute emergency deployment, was an engineer thinking WAY outside the box....wow!  

The story of the development of the CAPS system for the SR20 is extremely fascinating, although of course very sad as well. 

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

The story of the development of the CAPS system for the SR20 is extremely fascinating, although of course very sad as well. 

Sad?...I didn't see that coming...

You can read the history in Cirrus' own CAPS guide:

http://cirrusaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/CAPS_Guide.pdf

However, the Cirrus SR20/22 is a bit controversial, partly because these aircraft are not FAA certified for spin recovery, but instead have (must have) CAPS. Also you can read on many aviation forums that the SR2x had more accidents than other aircraft, and people speculate that the SR2x is often selected by inexperienced pilots who get a false impression of security. Also, sometimes it is said that Cirrus would teach pilots to switch on the autopilot at 300 to 500 feet and leave it on until final. It makes sense, because the whole "Perspective" avionics suite invokes the feeling of a flying computer (it's a glass cockpit, after all, and making piloting easier is one of the tasks of glass). So the rumour is that SR2x pilots simply don't have the hand-flying experience they'd need in critical situations.

I don't know if that's true, but you can find a lot of debates over that topic in the Internet (here's just one interesting thread: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45813 )

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

From what I've learned about the plane, most pilots who buy it take more risks because they rely on the parachute to save them. These risks include, not being proficient in the avionics or flying into poor weather.

But what do I know, I don't have one and could only afford to buy this one. I even needed a discount.  :smile:

Thanks Mario.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

You can read the history in Cirrus' own CAPS guide:

http://cirrusaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/CAPS_Guide.pdf

The guide actually makes no mention of what I was referring to... The Chief Test Pilot at Cirrus, Scott Anderson, passed away in a crash while testing the first production model SR20.  His aircraft wasn't yet equipped with the production models of the CAPS system.  However, he of course had an extremely important role in the development and testing of the CAPS system.

One of the neater things he did, was in order to keep a good pace in testing the parachute system, is that he after deploying it, he would restart the engine and then cut the chute free in order to land normally. 

From what I understand, in recent years, the safety rating and fatality rate of the SR20/22 has improved to the point where it has one of the best safety ratings in aviation.  I'm sure there's lots about it that's debatable, but having a device meant to save lives is indeed a worthy goal.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

The guide actually makes no mention of what I was referring to... The Chief Test Pilot at Cirrus, Scott Anderson, passed away in a crash while testing the first production model SR20.  

Yep, here in Duluth the IAF on the ILS Ry 27 is named after him, ANDOE.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You get what you pay for...and what sim you run...lol:

Here is Carenado's version of a CAPS deployment....:)

cop-out.png

You get what you pay for...and what sim you run...lol:

Here is Carenado's version of a CAPS deployment....:)

cop-out.png

Well, does FSX support parachutes out of the box? X-Plane does, so I'd be surprised if Carenado's X-Plane version of the SR22 (which probably will come at some time) would also just show that window. It's just a PlaneMaker setting and a texture.

Hi,

Note: the Aerobask Pipistrel has a functioning emergency parachute in X-Plane. I tried to send a picture, but it didn't work. So, Carenado could use it if it wishes.

Jim Morgan

The first update to the SR20, v1.1, with a lot of bug fixes and 2 new liveries, will be available in a few hours at the place where you bought it.

To celebrate this update, we started a screenshot contest at x-plane.org. The winner is awarded with a $20 coupon, 2nd and 3rd places can choose among the other vFlyteAir products:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=91134

The contest started today and will end at December 9th.

Good news. Thanks Mario

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.