Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

vFlyteAir SR20 Released

I saw this over at the .org.  Great stuff, can't wait to try it out!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Received an e-mail about the update, but it's not on my downloads page. :sad:

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Received an e-mail about the update, but it's not on my downloads page. :sad:

Did you buy at vFlyteAir store? If yes, send me a message.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Just to remind everybody: There's still one day left in the SR20 screenshot contest:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=91134&page=2#entry972629

If you own our SR20 and would like to have the chance of winning a $20 coupon (winner) or one of the other vFlyteAir aircraft (2nd and 3rd place), post your screenshot at the link above.

The winners will be determined between December 10th and 11th.

I am curious about the depth of the G1000 on this plane.

I am familiar with this plane in reality and the Carenado G1000 is lacking in many of the functions on the MFD side as far as flightplan entry/edit and if there are the multiple 'pages' such as MAP/AUX..extc for Airport information on the page selector. Can you auto enter a frequency using the cursor as well.

I bought the SR20 for X11 some days ago. Nice plane. I made a couple of flights with it. Three remarks I want to share with you:

1)  On page 37 of the manual for version V2.6 of the SR20 is written: "The user charts page can display charts which are stored in 'Cockpit_3D/generic\Rotary/User' [...] Fie names have to be 1-1.png, 2-2.png, 3-1.png, ..., 20-1.png."  [...] Example charts are provided for Duluth International Airport, Minnesota, home of Cirrus Aircraft Corporation." 

To try I put some charts of Innsbruck, Austria (LOWI), in the folder indicated, giving them names like 1-1.png as instructed. When loading another livery of the aircraft via the button "flight configuration menu" on the top right of the X-Plane 11 window, the example charts were still shown on the SR20 MFD. Only after going to the flight configuration menu; load another airplane and start a new flight; go back to the flight configuration menu and load again the SR20 and start a new flight; or: restart of X-Plane 11, then all my personal charts were overwritten by some script of the STMAclient, Version:Cherry.2, which performed a comparison between the contents of a whole list of files, among them the files in the folder with the user charts. The replacement actions were written in the file: <Your_Drive>:\X-Plane 11\Aircraft\vFlyteAir_CirrusSR20_v2.6\fileChangeList.txt. The script found my .png charts and replaced them by the original "Example charts".

My conclusion: with standard X-Plane 11 settings (especially with the STMA AutoUpdate Enabled) it is not possible to put your own charts in the folder named on page 37 of the User Manual because they will be overwritten each time you start a new flight with the SR20. Or there has to be somewhere a setting in which one can turn off this file checking / file replacing mechanism. I did not see anything about this in the user manual. What I saw happening during the start process of X-Plane 11 and after the SR20 V2.6 was shown in the X-Plane 11 window, the STMA AudoUpdate 1.2 client pops up and states at a certain moment that the SR20 is up-to-date. The only way I was able to get my charts on the MFD, by clicking the button SHW CHRT, was by switching off the STMA AudoUpdate function by selecting the menu-option in the X-Plane 11 menu: Plugins -> STMA AutoUpdate -> AutoUpdate disabled, then performing the procedure as described above: first start a new flight with another airplane; when it is loaded repeat this action by selecting the Cirrus SR20 and start a new flight. 

I took a screenshot if the result. I copied the image to one of my Dropbox folders, created a link. Unfortunately I did not succeed when (here in this forums editor) using the "Insert other media -> Insert image from URL -> Insert into post". So for readers that want to see the image, here is the link to the screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t4xwola3g3r2bb2/2018-04-15_SR20_V2.6_X11_Own_chart_on_MFD.png?dl=0. If you want to see all files in the folder, use this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qek0z3b95f24pce/AAApu-A5jh9uKdktxMn7ULp0a?dl=0

I must say that the image of the chart, presented on the MFD, shows less quality compared to the original one I prepared. Some other charts I copied into the User folder gave a bit better quality. I have copied also some charts that are in landscape orientation. They were cut off a bit on the left side while in the same moment on the right side there was a large black space on the MFD not used. I suggest to the creators and/or maintainers of the SR20 to adjust the software in such a manner that the User charts are better centered on the free space on the MFD (the left side being fixed in use for Engine, Fuel, Oil and electrical information).

2) I clicked on the upper SD-card on the MFD (shown on page 39 of the user manual). Then appeared a window where I could see and select a stored flight plan to open. When I clicked the "Cancel" button without having done anything else than looking at this page, X-Plane 11 crashed as in a flash to the desktop. Maybe I am dubbing this info with a reactions in the above discussion. Excuse me for that. I did not extensively read all the posts.

3) to my opinion the audio volume for the ADF, for example, is too low. I cranked up the volume setting in X-Plane 11 -> Settings -> Sound -> Radios, but this did not help much.

Happy flying,

Paulsk

Edited by paulsk
Added some new information

Hi paulsk,

23 hours ago, paulsk said:

especially with the STMA AutoUpdate Enabled) it is not possible to put your own charts in the folder

well, I guess we overlooked the fact that the user charts should be customizable and therefore not be included in auto updates when we created the file list for the updater (fileList.txt). We have to update this list obviously.

I must say that the image of the chart, presented on the MFD, shows less quality compared to the original one I prepared.

Image size of the custom png files has to be about 675x1035 pixels. If the images are smaller (or if the size is correct, but you have a border around the actual content), it will not fill the area.

If you want to see all files in the folder, use this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qek0z3b95f24pce/AAApu-A5jh9uKdktxMn7ULp0a?dl=0

This does not lead to SR20 images, but a "shared with Carenado" folder. Wrong link maybe?

I cranked up the volume setting in X-Plane 11 -> Settings -> Sound -> Radios, but this did not help much.

I don't think we use a custom sound for ADF. Is it louder in the default C172?

By the way, its better to report bugs in our own forums. I stumbled upon this here just by accident.

• Like 1

@MarioDonick 

About the "User charts":

You replied: "well, I guess we overlooked the fact that the user charts should be customizable and therefore not be included in auto updates when we created the file list for the updater (fileList.txt). We have to update this list obviously." 

My interpretation of what is written on page 41 of the User manual that came with the SR20, version 2.6, is that it is an "invitation" to store ones own charts in the folder mentioned. Now, after reading your reaction, it looks like that it was not the intention to let the user add his own charts to this folder. In that case one stays stuck with only the charts of Duluth International, Minnesota which makes no sense to me. This fact looks however in contradiction with the first paragraph of text on page 41 of that manual, I quote: "The user charts page can display charts which are stored in “Cockpit_3D/generic/Rotary/User”. I other words: "dear User, if you want you can store charts of your choice in the folder ..., then you can display them through the user charts page". On the other hand it is my experience that there are so many airports, each having a lot of charts. That is why I took a subscription with Navigraph charts.

About the ADF audio volume:

I started X-Plane 11, loaded the default C172. The sound of the ADF is good. I made a short video recording. It is in the shared folder.

About reporting "bugs" in "our own forums":

I did not know that they existed. I also happened to come across this topic here in the AVSIM forums.

The next time I will go to the vFlyteAir forums.

On 17.4.2018 at 6:10 PM, paulsk said:

Now, after reading your reaction, it looks like that it was not the intention to let the user add his own charts to this folder.

No.

User charts were always meant to be customizable by you, the user, in exactly the way mentioned in the manual.

In v2.6 of the plane we introduced the auto updater for the plane. This updater compares all the files with a master copy on an update server. If a local file is different from the one on the update server, the updater will download that file from the server, to ensure you always have the most recent version. Which files are affected by this is defined in the file "fileList.txt". We accidentally (!) included the user charts in this list. It's a mistake. Will be fixed.

Edited by MarioDonick

On 17.4.2018 at 2:41 PM, paulsk said:

I see, you want to use landscape oriented charts. This is not so easily possible, because the expected image size is fixed: 675 pixels width, 1035 pixels height.

The charts feature is really just a gimmick.

On 17.4.2018 at 6:10 PM, paulsk said:

About the ADF audio volume:

I can't really hear a difference in the ADF sound and volume compared to our own plane. Do you use our virtual headphones (center console)?

Thank you for your replies Mario. About the charts: Thank you for your confirmation that it was intended for charts to be customized by the user. OK about the mistake that will be fixed.

About the landscape oriented charts: Some charts of some airports (that I use from other sources) are presented in landscape mode. Like some of LOWI charts for example. I experimented a bit. Enlarging the width with white space. It made the chart being displayed in full. Good enough for me, that is.

About the ADF audio. "Virtual headphones", uhhh, I didn't know they existed or were implemented. 99,9% of the time I use normal headphones when using flight simulators. Connected to the 3.5 jacks of my desktop PC.

Edited by paulsk
correcting a spelling error

@MarioDonick I did a flight with the SR20 to test the working of the audio buttons. I read the manual V2.6 on page24 about the GMA350 and its audio buttons.

I am not able to move the Outer knob (Master volume). I am able to move the Inner know (Radio volume). I checked it after pushing on the Squelch (SQ) button to the left of the volume buttons.

The ADF needle indicated nicely the direction. When passing on top of the NDB the needle turned 180 degrees as expected. But I was not able to hear the ADF audio this time. I checked the X-Plane Settings --> Sound --> Radios. That was set for maximum. The X-Plane 11 sounds setting for "Aircraft Exterior" I moved to almost minimum, to concentrate myself on eventual audio from the ADF.

I still don't understand what you mean with "virtual headphones". This expression I did not see in the user manual of the SR20 V2.6.

I created a short video to show that I only could move the inner volume button (Radios). The video is in the Dropbox folder I shared.

This time I departed from Standiford Intl, Louisville, KY, USA (KSDF). On the map in the SR20 were two NDB's visual JV and LK. 

@MarioDonick I did a flight with the SR20 to test the working of the audio buttons. I read the manual V2.6 on page24 about the GMA350 and its audio buttons.

I am not able to move the Outer knob (Master volume). I am able to move the Inner know (Radio volume). I checked it after pushing on the Squelch (SQ) button to the left of the volume buttons.

The ADF needle indicated nicely the direction. When passing on top of the NDB the needle turned 180 degrees as expected. But I was not able to hear the ADF audio this time. I checked the X-Plane Settings --> Sound --> Radios. That was set for maximum. The X-Plane 11 sounds setting for "Aircraft Exterior" I moved to almost minimum, to concentrate myself on eventual audio from the ADF.

I still don't understand what you mean with "virtual headphones". This expression I did not see in the user manual of the SR20 V2.6.

I created a short video to show that I only could move the inner volume button (Radios). The video is in the Dropbox folder I shared.

This time I departed from Standiford Intl, Louisville, KY, USA (KSDF). On the map in the SR20 were two NDB's visual JV and LK. 

----------

I did another test flight in the same area with the ADF tuned to Catch NDB (ID JV) freq 331 kHz. I did not hear the "JV" ID in morse at regular intervals, but what I discovered was a visual and audio signalling at the moment of passing on top of this NDB station. I created a short video to demonstrate the moment. Added 2 screenshots. One of the NDB transmitter site and one of the location on a map. The video I put in the shared folder.