Sign in to follow this  
twojastara

History repeats itself - amuzing old thread in Aerosoft forums

Guys,

I have found out this old thread from 2008 where people argue if it's better to move from FS9 to FSX.

What's really amusing is that the most of the arguments are the same in 'FSX vs P3D debate'.

I have chosen few of them below  :smile:

'Do you think FSX will ever be as popular as FS9 is, as I notice a lot of mainstream developers such as aerosoft are still producing payware add-ons for FS9.'

'Simply: FS9! If you're not a millionaire, that is the way to go. (...) I'm sure you have tones of great addons for hundreds of Euro that work fine in FS9. (...) You'd rather enjoy your limited free time on a smooth ride in FS9 instead of passing on to FSX and starting all over again (lowering sliders, tweaking, etc to make it work acceptably).'

'Keflin 2612 I think your answer depends on what type of Simmer you are. If you are into GA or bush flying (low and slow) then FSX may just be perfect for you on your machine (the scenery is breathtaking). However if you like to fly heavy iron into large cities with complex airports then it's easily FS9 that takes the cake.'

(And this one below is my favourite of all :smile:)

'FSX will never be as popular as FS9, not going to happen. FSX is simply so full of bugs, bad coding.. etc. it still uses the FS9's graphics engine, however the graphics are much better in FSX, the frame rates are horrible, even to this day the majority still plays FS9, that alone is proof that FSX will never be better than FS9 :)'

'Yeah... FS9 Rules.
I have both FS9 and FSX on my new computer. FS9 ;) runs soooooo much better than FSX. Thought FSX would be "the big surprice", but.... no :blink:'

'FS9 for sure, no question about it.
Sure, FSX has more eye candy but at a very high price.'

'Definately FS9!!! I purchased few months ago a brand new (PC) just for FSX and pff FSX still runs terribly slow!'

Well, all we know that FSX is just a bugfix  :P .

The whole thread is here:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/18118-fs2004-or-fsx-you-decide/

Cheers

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

:lol:

I looked at the profile for a few of those posters, of course they are now posting about their FSX installs.  Will be interesting to look back in a couple of years or so.  Remember, resistance is futile....  :Party:  :Devil:

If you are into GA or bush flying (low and slow) then FSX may just be perfect for you on your machine (the scenery is breathtaking).

LOL

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guys,

I have found out this old thread from 2008 where people argue if it's better to move from FS9 to FSX.

What's really amusing is that the most of the arguments are the same in 'FSX vs P3D debate'.

Let me demonstrate you why your comparison is flawed.

FSX was published at 4Q 2006. The AVSIM 2012 survey (the oldest I could still find, taken approximately five and a half year after FSX release) showed an FSX adoption rate as the primary flight simulator of more than 75%, while FS9 had dropped to 18.6%:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/373683-the-avsim-2012-demographic-survey/

The AVSIM 2014 survey (taken about four years later the release of P3D v1, so less than 5 and a half years, but still a lot of time) shows a total adoption rate of all versions of P3D as a primary flight simulator of only around 11.7% (340/2900), while FSX remains at around 57% (about 1650/2900):

http://www.avsim.com/topic/458969-2014-demographic-results-released/?p=3146738

So, does that mean that P3D will not become the primary flight sim for the absolute majority of the community? Of course not, it may very well become in the future (I think it's a possibility).

But certainly, the surveys show that the adoption rate of P3D compared to FSX has been WAY lower than what, at the time, has been the adoption rate of FSX compared to FS9.

So there are significant differences in the comparison done.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Let me demonstrate you why your comparison is flawed.

So there are significant differences in the comparison done.

I think what the OP was trying to demonstrate is the recurring pattern of forum discussion (anxieties, speculations, rhetoric, comparisons) after the release of every new sim platform - not an actual comparison of platforms.

I think what the OP was trying to demonstrate is the recurring pattern of forum discussion (anxieties, speculations, rhetoric, comparisons) after the release of every new sim platform - not an actual comparison of platforms.

Yes, but the OP seems to imply that at the time, those refusing to adopt FSX were wrong, while those moving forward to FSX knew better, and therefore, likewise, those who today remain with FSX instead of moving to P3D are equally wrong. But the survey demonstrate a different reality, in that 4 years after its release, the P3D adoption rate is still less than 20%. So, the community at large thinks that there may be good reasons to remain to FSX, contrarily to what was the case 4 years ago, when the community at large recognized the superiority of FSX over FS9.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Yes, but the OP seems to imply that at the time, those refusing to adopt FSX were wrong, while those moving forward to FSX knew better, and therefore, likewise, those who today remain with FSX instead of moving to P3D are equally wrong. But the survey demonstrate a different reality, in that 4 years after its release, the P3D adoption rate is still less than 20%. So, the community at large thinks that there may be good reasons to remain to FSX, contrarily to what was the case 4 years ago, when the community at large recognized the superiority of FSX over FS9.

Actually you are both right. I was trying to show the recurring pattern *and*, in my opinion, P3D is the follow up to FSX.

But, of course, I could be wrong with this, so...

Dear Reader - if you are reading this in year 2025 or beyond, please do not make too much fun of me  :P.

And Murmur, thanks for the links to the surveys. It turns out the change is much slower than I thought.

Cheers

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Perhaps Lousdecoolste was right in one of his latter posts yesterday evening in that 'we' (ergo the Avsim P3D Forum),  are becoming an expensive, elitist Club.... whereby one has to have the financial ability to 'stay the course' with Prepar3D ? I sincerely hope not. Having traversed the yawning chasm from FS9 to where I am with this Hobby now in V3 - then I would cringe at the thought of being regarded as a member of a 'priviledged' Flight Sim Minority.  If the ability to pay is the over-arching criteria of LM then I think that we could ALL be losers in the next round of V4? $500, $700? $1000?  They can dismiss us all in an instant and, having proved the core-sim, courtesy of all of their Beta-Testers, move on. Government doesn't care and neither do Lockheed Martin.

I remember the release of FSX in 2006. like it was yesterday. Many people ran out and got it the first day it went on sale, and soon after that the complaints started streaming in. The computer that they had FS9 on, that ran well, was not adequate for FSX. FPS were not good, the add ons and aircraft they had in FS9, didn't work on FSX ( sound familiar), and CTDs were much more common in FSX than FS9. It actually took two very large service packs to get FSX to run reasonably well. Many people stayed with FS9 for a long time, and preferred it to FSX. There are still a fair number of people that are flying FS9 even today.  

I fly for a large and very active Virtual Airline, that has quite a few real pilots in it's membership, including ATPs.  Here are the latest statistics for versions of Flight sim which they track. 

FSX    83%

FS9      9.6%

P3D       6.2%

Other      0.9% ( probably X Plane) 

So Fs9 is still beating out everything but FSX. Not bad for a program that is almost a decade old. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Funny thing imho is that 50 percent of this hobby, if not more, is all the tweaking, upgrading the computer and the sim, and whatever goes on in the forums. Once the software is "perfect" and we all have 250 FPS directX 18 and a 128 bit simulator we will probably have go looking for a new hobby. What you mean, am i just supposed to be flying around from airport to airport? Where`s the fun in that! Let`s pray to God that we never get to that point..  :fool:   

Funny thing imho is that 50 percent of this hobby, if not more, is all the tweaking, upgrading the computer and the sim, and whatever goes on in the forums. Once the software is "perfect" and we all have 250 FPS directX 18 and a 128 bit simulator we will probably have go looking for a new hobby. What you mean, am i just supposed to be flying around from airport to airport? Where`s the fun in that! Let`s pray to God that we never get to that point..  :fool:   

I am the opposite, just as I go to an airport and get in an aircraft, I expect that aircraft to be in good shape for flying, because that is what I want to do. I don't want to change plugs, fix leaks, clean the windscreen, or find out why comm 1 cuts out or why I have a 600 rpm drop on mag 1. Same with sims, right now I am setting up a VA flight of about 300 miles in the Q400. I expect everything to work from the weather to ATC to the aircraft, which it does 99% of the time. Then I can enjoy the flight. I am into flying, not fixing. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I am the opposite, just as I go to an airport and get in an aircraft, I expect that aircraft to be in good shape for flying, because that is what I want to do. I don't want to change plugs, fix leaks, clean the windscreen, or find out why comm 1 cuts out or why I have a 600 rpm drop on mag 1. Same with sims, right now I am setting up a VA flight of about 300 miles in the Q400. I expect everything to work from the weather to ATC to the aircraft, which it does 99% of the time. Then I can enjoy the flight. I am into flying, not fixing. 

I guess i agree to some extent Bob. It is in fact very nice when everything`s working flawlessly, and off course we all have a reasonable reason for wanting a smooth flight in a working sim. However just to throw some more fuel on the fire..., you personally do have 1,325 active posts on this forum. That probably adds up to more then 1 percent of your time spent with the simulator. Just saying  :smile:    

Really true... Sometimes i spend my SIM time in the forums, searching for bugfixes, liveries, what addon to buy next rather than flying...  =@

Cheers :)

N.-

I guess i agree to some extent Bob. It is in fact very nice when everything`s working flawlessly, and off course we all have a reasonable reason for wanting a smooth flight in a working sim. However just to throw some more fuel on the fire..., you personally do have 1,325 active posts on this forum. That probably adds up to more then 1 percent of your time spent with the simulator. Just saying  :smile:    

I fly and average of about 3.5 hours a day, how about you? BTW, I am flying right now to KBUF.