Sign in to follow this  
mseelbinder

OS on HD; P3D on SSD - any problems, any advantages?

I thought I would use the upcoming upgrade to v3 as an excuse to purchase additional storage.

Currently: 1TB internal HD, about 2/3 full, for programs

1TB external HD for static files (backups, downloads, zips, etc.)

Proposed:  Add a 500 GB SSD for P3D-associated program files only; leave OS on internal HD

That is, make a P3D folder on the new SSD, and load P3D and all associated files onto it.

1)  I have followed some of the discussions regarding preferences, but as a practical matter, will I be complicating life by doing this.  Will I end up changing bunches of permissions, or pointers?  (I'm sure I could work through this, but would prefer not to ... it steals time from actually flying.)

2)  Will I see any benefits in P3D, or will the OS living on the HD present bottlenecks that would prevent any real gains in speed within P3D.

Thanks, all.

Mark

You'll get an advantge.  Be sure to set your swap file and temp file locations to the SSD.

Matt Webb

You'll get an advantge.  Be sure to set your swap file and temp file locations to the SSD.

What advantage...? I think he would like to know. ;)

Only advantage is faster loading of the initial flight. No further gain during flight. Bonus: no need for defragging. I only have SSD's in my PC because everything keeps on feeling fresh and new and quick (so also the OS) and I will never go back to HHD's but don't expect any improvement in P3D other than the faster initial load.

I would really recommend to put the OS on the SSD.

The performance advantage in games is only, like it was said, during the initial loading. Later you won't notice it at all.

But the OS on a SSD is a huge leap in overall performance in my opinion - but again - I guess you will not notice it in P3D.

Hi,

same here like J van. Only SSDs in my rig No need for an HDD anymore cause of the the high read/write speeds. The Sim will only benefit from faster loading. If you have a lot of airplanes and scenery installed go for the Sim on SSD. If not stay with the Sim on HDD and install the OS on the SSD. But there will be still files that has to written to the OS drive so there you might get a little less loading times as if you go for the OS on a dedicated SSD as well as the Sim on its own SSD.

If you have a few bucks left go for a 240GB SSD for the OS, which is my recommendation. Keep the HDD for ex as a downloads drive. 500GB should be ok for the sim. I have my 500GB SSD half full with sim and add ons and i do have a lot of addons. Just to mention i keep my mesh add ons on a different drive.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg