Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Video Card Advice Please

I think its probably time to improve on my poor old GTX570.  Considering I only use a single 23" monitor at 1920x1280, is there any point going above something like a GTX960 with 4GB of DDR5?  Some great bargains on those now,

At that resolution and not too many high resolution add-ons, that card should be fine. The GTX 970 is considered the 'best bang for buck' card at the moment and would give you the option of switching to possibly a dual monitor set-up, and certainly you could dial-up the graphic settings!

With a single screen at 1920, do you think i'd notice any difference between the 60 and the 70?

With a single screen at 1920, do you think i'd notice any difference between the 60 and the 70?

I'd just be guessing really, but if you can afford it, definitively go for the 970, it's definitely the card of choice on this site at the moment. I know it's about £100 more expensive, but it might be a false economy to get the 960 now, only to realise that you'd like to run those REX cloud textures at at least 2048 quality, not to mention all the other texture sets it adds. It's tough call, and ideally someone who has had experience of both would advise you.

You could always be cheeky and buy the 960 from Amazon, test it out, and if you're not happy with the quality RMA it and upgrade it to the 970. Just make sure to be very careful opening the box and keeping all the bits and pieces together. I've sent countless items back to Amazon and never had a problem. They even pay for the postage! Just tell them that the performance didn't meet what you felt Nvidia advertised of that is was insufficient for your needs.

Up to you at the end of the day- best of luck!