Sign in to follow this  
Moe

UTX and FTX compatibility?

I know that UTX and FTX don't get along. If I had UTX for and area and FTX for another area, and those areas do not make contact ie FTX for Australia and UTX Canada, would they get along?

Moe

hi

actually UTX and FTX do get along pretty well. it can be a little confusing about which orbx products do what, but generally UTX and the FTX vector stuff might be what you are thinking about, generally you only need one or the other if you are only flying in the UTX area. even in this case they do work together as the UTX will override the FTX vector in the areas where both would be located. i like to use both since the UTX coverage in the USA is superior but then i still retain the vector coverage for the rest of the globe also. at least with FSX-SE they work fine together and don't seem to cause VAS issues either. if you only fly in the usa there is no point to having both, of course.

FTX global is just textures, and will work with the UTX stuff anywhere. perhaps you are confusing FTX Global and GEX which do not play together, since they basically do a similar thing, replacing all the default textures with nicer ones.

for your specific example, with the australia pack you are talking about, that is an FTX "region" which includes vector data, landclass, and a bunch of custom scenery and texture stuff too, generally these will override all of the the other scenery for that specific area, but they will totally work fine with other sceneries that are elsewhere in the world, so you can totally have australia installed and still use UTX in the usa, to answer your other question.

another example would be, if you have the northern california pack it will override UTX in that part of california but it's totally cool to have them both installed, as you leave the area with the FTX region you will just start seeing the UTX stuff.

i'm not 100% sure about the openLC for canada and how that compares to the UTX landclass stuff, i think you could still pick and choose which layers you see but to some degree they are doing the same thing so maybe not really necessary for both.

hope that helps a little bit

cheers

-andy crosby

Thanks Andy. That clears up a lot of things for me.

Moe

I've taken the opportunity of installing P3D v3 to add FTX Global and UTX Europe v2.1 instead of FTX Global Vector which isn't yet v3 ready. 

Findings are:

1: UTX and FTX are extremely compatible in the general sense. There are anomalies as the UTX product does not accommodate all the texture changes that Global makes as part of the whole package approach of Global/Vector/Open LC but you really have to look for them

2: The options available with UTX are a country mile beyond what FTX supplies with Vector, but I do prefer Vectors' roads implementation - less `overlay`, more `belong`. Clearly Global and Vector are designed to work together and it shows

3: I am very impressed with the on/off options of UTX that allow for much greater and easier modification than Vector - including just switching the whole lot off with a button press in the GUI which is a lesson FTX could learn !

I've got a layered FTX Global/Open LC EU/UTX Europe setup at present and I've seen no conflicts outside the target areas.

I probably will install Vector once the quad installer is made available for comparison but for now if you already own UTX it's fine to use with FTX Global.

As Andy noted it's Vector v. UTX you need to be more concerned about and there it's one or the other. Everything else seems to cohabit nicely.  :dance:

Louise can you post your scenery library setup? I want be sure FTX and UTX are setup correctly..Thanks

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

No need.

Install FTX Global textures (no scenery entry for textures), then install UTX. 

That's it.

If you want to install FTX Open LC EU as well then simply install UTX after you have installed the textures and the landclass product. Layering is automatic.

Thanks louis

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV