Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Rain and snow in P3Dv3

Just noticed there's no version for the NGX which caught me with a bit of surprise considering the NGX is probably one of the most popular and wide spread a/c ever released.

Well...looking forward to try the general version out another time and making sure I get the latest version.

They are working on 737 version now and looks like it will be the best yet - they are going to model actual rain effect in the glow of the lights - check it out - looks amazing

Rich Sennett

Hi guys go try this tweak from the old v2.x dont know if it still works but it is worth a try. It is from a guy over in the P3D forums. I did that myself in v2.x and it made a huge difference even when applying FSFX package. 

edit the Rain.fx in the ShadersHLSL folder.

change line 64 from

float4 cColor = float4(1,1,1,In.cDiffuse.w) * (cColor0 + cColor1);

to

float4 cColor = float4(0.4,0.4,0.4,In.cDiffuse.w) * (cColor0 + cColor1);

then delete the files in the folder: %localappdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

(those files will be recreated when you run p3d)

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Hi guys go try this tweak from the old v2.x dont know if it still works but it is worth a try. It is from a guy over in the P3D forums. I did that myself in v2.x and it made a huge difference even when applying FSFX package. 

edit the Rain.fx in the ShadersHLSL folder.

change line 64 from

float4 cColor = float4(1,1,1,In.cDiffuse.w) * (cColor0 + cColor1);

to

float4 cColor = float4(0.4,0.4,0.4,In.cDiffuse.w) * (cColor0 + cColor1);

then delete the files in the folder: %localappdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

(those files will be recreated when you run p3d)

Cool, will try this out if I'm not happy with the result I get after installing PrecipitFX.

Thanks for sharing!

...and should also mention speaking about PrecipitFX for anyone who will try this out that in order to get the effect also for your AI models if you're using a package such as MT6 it looks like you need to manually move all the MT6 models to the ...SimObjects\Airplanes folder within P3D before you install the PrecipitFX effects and then you can move them back into their original location. You should also make sure all AI models have the [EFFECTS] section in their aircraft.cfg file. Failing to do any of these steps will result in not having the PrecipitFX effects for your AI models. At least this is how I understood it but you could of course investigate further on your own.

They are working on 737 version now and looks like it will be the best yet - they are going to model actual rain effect in the glow of the lights - check it out - looks amazing

Sounds nice, will have a look at this tonight.

Richard Åsberg

Is anyone here having isssus where the effects are only visible while looking to the right or to the left? If looking straight ahead I cant really see the rain.

Holy cow that rain! I mean it's basically eye candy but hot dang that looks nice!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Just watched the clip and boy I'm looking forward to that one!

Richard Åsberg

For you guys already running P3Dv3, has there been an improvement to how rain and snow are depicted and the notorious "tunnel" effect or is it still as bad as in previous versions?

still the same snow and rain :P

The proposed volumetric lighting looks very impressive as well....

Who needs to fly in V3 when you will soon be able to run around in the dark, in avatar mode, replete with umbrella and flashlight looking for stowaways in the wheel wells?  Could spawn a whole new Sim ..... Illegalz!   :Party:

https://youtu.be/eux4J3m_jD0

If that's in fog only, I agree. Otherwise it looks silly I think.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It may "look silly" today [your quote not mine] Ryan..... but it just goes to prove that third party developers still have the faith, imagination and belief to look at the possibilities afforded by this ever-expanding Sim platform that is LM and P3D (the very same one(s) that we often berate unnecessarily), and that they are more than willing to devote time, effort, expertise and expense into trying to secure a future market in this (rather limited) Flight Simulation arena.

As a personal aside - If these particular effects were to be introduced into more modern 'games' - e.g. GTA, Assassin's Creed or The Witcher series, then wouldn't they just be accepted as 'normal' and/or 'to be expected', by the great mass of other [ Platform/Sim/Genre/Age/Intellect - Delete as appropriate] users?

Just try to imagine contacting Approach at EGLL after an overnight Long-Haul from KSFO only to be be told that you are being diverted to A.N.Other Airport because the UK is FogBound? Bring it on!!!! That is what happens in the Real World and if you haven't planned your flight from KSFO to EGLL properly and you fall out of the sky when the tanks run dry then.... ?

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the difference between 'Gamers ... i.e. 'Gimme It All NOW' and V3 Simmers is probably the reality factor? Hmmmm.....

Perhaps THAT is the line that differentiates the Gamers from the Simmers in this Forum?

Care to declare your Interest Sir? Aye or Nay? Your choice as always...

Care to reply Sir .... If for no other reason than to keep the thread alive? 

If You want to troll Ryan - then find a another Forum or else reply?

If You want to troll Ryan - then find a another Forum or else reply?

@ David (J L Seagull) pick your fight and attitude at another place Ryan isn't trolling just stating his opinion.

@ Richard S thanks for sharing looks interesting

@ Richard A you could try the package without the contrails which could be the cause of stutters on some systems.

Cheers,

André

Thanks for the tip André! However I'll first start enabling all effects and see what happens this time around.

However I now have another question. As declared above I have MT6 installed and to make sure the PrecipitFX effects would be added for all my MT6 AI models I

• went through all aircraft.cfg files (202 of them...puh...) and added an [EFFECTS] line in all aircraft.cfg files where it was missing
  • moved all the 202 MT6 AI models/folders to ...SimObjects\Airplanes before installing PrecipitFX and enabling the effects in my case for P3D v2

Still though after doing this all the MT6 AI models where I manually added the [EFFECTS] line to the aircraft.cfg files are missing the PrecipitFX effects under the [EFFECTS] line...it's all empty.

So what did I miss?

Richard Åsberg

Thanks for the tip André! However I'll first start enabling all effects and see what happens this time around.

However I now have another question. As declared above I have MT6 installed and to make sure the PrecipitFX effects would be added for all my MT6 AI models I

• went through all aircraft.cfg files (202 of them...puh...) and added an [EFFECTS] line in all aircraft.cfg files where it was missing
  • moved all the 202 MT6 AI models/folders to ...SimObjects\Airplanes before installing PrecipitFX and enabling the effects in my case for P3D v2

Still though after doing this all the MT6 AI models where I manually added the [EFFECTS] line to the aircraft.cfg files are missing the PrecipitFX effects under the [EFFECTS] line...it's all empty.

So what did I miss?

Have to look because I didn't add it to AI for performance reasons, but if you do you need to define the effects below the effects section...

Try this one:

[EFFECTS]

WheelSnowSpray=fsfx_PFX_L_WheelSnowSpray //FSFX_PFX_Effect

SnowEngineWash=fsfx_PFX_L_SnowEngineWash //FSFX_PFX_Effect

WheelWetSpray=fsfx_PFX_L_WheelWetSpray //FSFX_PFX_Effect

WetEngineWash=fsfx_PFX_L_WetEngineWash //FSFX_PFX_Effect

SkidPavement=fsfx_PFX_L_skidmark //FSFX_PFX_Effect

Make sure effect detail slider in p3d is set high

Maybe you could move the folder with MT ai to the default location and then reinstall precipitFX and move back the folder after done?

André