Sign in to follow this  
Angelo Cosma

Unread topics?

Hello AVSIM Staff, whats been going on. i used to able to site in the forum index and in the upper left hand corner it would show topics I participated in, and un read new posts. 

Now all I see the directory index and have to go into each subfroum manually. I very much liked the previous method better. Do I need to change a setting? I must say that right there has kept me off the forums for a while and I feel way out of the loop now. 

Angelo Cosma

Hi Angelo,

We are in Performance Mode as there is an unusually high number of members and guests visiting our site.  We hope this will be temporary.  Apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Performance mode has been turned off for over a week, but some non-essential features were removed in favor of performance.  There were too many hooks running, and some of them weren't even getting picked up.

I've added a latest topics overview on the right column.  To see topics that are recent that you've participated in, you can also go to View New Content on the top right, and make sure you choose the "topics I've participated in filter" on the left hand side.

Performance mode has been turned off for over a week, but some non-essential features were removed in favor of performance.  There were too many hooks running, and some of them weren't even getting picked up.

I've added a latest topics overview on the right column.  To see topics that are recent that you've participated in, you can also go to View New Content on the top right, and make sure you choose the "topics I've participated in filter" on the left hand side.

Thanks Chase....any chance of getting the selective quote tab back so we don't have to quote an entire post? (like I just did :wink:)

Chris Sunseri

I use the view new content button (top right), but yes I kinda miss the old way of seeing unread topics when going to the forums. Understand the need to optimize and keep the forums running, thanks for your hard work Avsim staff, I am sure keeping the site running smooth is not a small task, I sure do appreciate everything you guys are doing for us (and for free)!

Regards

John.

Thanks Chase....any chance of getting the selective quote tab back so we don't have to quote an entire post? (like I just did :wink:)

Our apologies, but I don't see that coming back anytime soon.  To be very honest, when all was said and done, we had something like 30-40 different add-ons running.  Like a computer, each of these add-ons uses more RAM on the server to have running.  Some of the issues we have are the servers running out of resources to serve once we get around 600 users online at the same time.  That's why when we turn on performance mode, which disables non-essential add-ons, the site picks back up again like nothing's wrong.

We are just trying to balance what's nice to have vs what is not really getting used.  It will definitely be a work in progress, especially as I start learning more and more about how all of this stuff works.  I think my hair has started thinning even more after Tom passed away trying to learn everything he knew and didn't have time to teach to me or anyone else before he left us.  Luckily, the three of us on the board are working very well together to bring AVSIM a very bright future.  More to come on some very good developments on the horizon, just taking time to iron things out.

Chase

• Upvote 4

Our apologies, but I don't see that coming back anytime soon.  To be very honest, when all was said and done, we had something like 30-40 different add-ons running.  Like a computer, each of these add-ons uses more RAM on the server to have running.  Some of the issues we have are the servers running out of resources to serve once we get around 600 users online at the same time.  That's why when we turn on performance mode, which disables non-essential add-ons, the site picks back up again like nothing's wrong.

We are just trying to balance what's nice to have vs what is not really getting used.  It will definitely be a work in progress, especially as I start learning more and more about how all of this stuff works.  I think my hair has started thinning even more after Tom passed away trying to learn everything he knew and didn't have time to teach to me or anyone else before he left us.  Luckily, the three of us on the board are working very well together to bring AVSIM a very bright future.  More to come on some very good developments on the horizon, just taking time to iron things out.

Chase

I appreciate the update Chase.  No biggie as it was one of those nice to have options.  There's probably a ton of server maintenance stuff that goes on behind the scenes that computer illiterate people like Elaine B) and I don't realize.  I have a blast hanging out here and just keep doing what ya'll are doing because we sure are grateful for this website.

Sushi, running, flying planes and AVSIM....what more could a person ask for :smile:

Chris Sunseri

and in the upper left hand corner it would show topics I participated in

Would love to see this feature return, simply because of the sheer number of sub-forums, it was such a convenience to have something like that right on the top of the page.

(Also was a fan of the selective quote, too.)

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Although "Selective Quote" was a nice feature, it cost too many resources.

Everyone though has the ability - if not the will - to highlight quoted text and use their bloody "Delete" key to remove it! There's no need to keep an entire wall of text quote in anyone's replies... :He He:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator