Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Possible Windows 10 Display heads-up

While using a tool named Speccy to take a look at my system specs, I noticed that my monitor was actually set at a resolution of 1536x864 despite the fact that both windows itself and the Nvidia control panel were reporting my native resolution of 1920x1080.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_speccy

Some research into this resolution shows that Windows 8 and 10 can default to non-standard scaling for increased legibility (especially on high resolution tablets)

GeForce Experience however, is unaware of this change and displays the resolution at something lower to adapt to the scaling, leading to fuzzy images that belie the declared resolution.

Here are the most useful explanations of the fix for this I have found.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5990-dpi-scaling-level-displays-change-windows-10-a.html

Here is a good description of the problem. Windows 10 does this deliberately.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2952506/microsoft-windows/high-resolution-displays-reveal-windows-10-blind-spot.html

My wary experiment with Windows 10 continues.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I haven't experienced this with my 1920x1080 monitor, or my 1600x900 secondary.

In my house I have a Surface Pro 3, whose display is a ridiculous 2160x1440 (!!!) on a 12" display. Microsoft ships the SP3 with the scaling setting set to 125%, otherwise everything will be so small. The SP3 is the only device I've seen so far that does this, and this is because the OEM configured it that way. I don't understand why your system defaulted to non-100% scaling. Weird.

Both of the articles (especially the second one) I posted went into why this was happening......

Actually, even just googling 1536x864 shows lots of hits.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Both of the articles I posted went into why this was happening......

I read the articles. I said it was weird because my monitor is the same resolution as yours and I haven't experienced this. I guess we have a different number of DPIs.

No way to tell. None of the info I can find is very informative on that.

MONITOR:  23 "INCH PREMIUM LED MONITOR WITH IPS PANEL, SUPER + RESOLUTION, FULL HD, HDMI, 5MS RESPONSE TIME AND ENERGY SAVING.

IPS236V
LED MEGA CONTRAST RATIO
FULL HD RESOLUTION
5MS RESPONSE TIME
5 MILLION: 1 DYNAMIC CONTRAST RATIO

Name   IPS236 on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
Current Resolution   1536x864 pixels
Work Resolution   1536x824 pixels
State   Enabled, Primary
Monitor Width   1920
Monitor Height   1080
Monitor BPP   32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency   60 Hz
Device   \\.\DISPLAY6\Monitor0

Devons rig

No way to tell. None of the info I can find is very informative on that.

MONITOR:  23 "INCH PREMIUM LED MONITOR WITH IPS PANEL, SUPER + RESOLUTION, FULL HD, HDMI, 5MS RESPONSE TIME AND ENERGY SAVING.

IPS236V

LED MEGA CONTRAST RATIO

FULL HD RESOLUTION

5MS RESPONSE TIME

5 MILLION: 1 DYNAMIC CONTRAST RATIO

Name   IPS236 on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

Current Resolution   1536x864 pixels

Work Resolution   1536x824 pixels

State   Enabled, Primary

Monitor Width   1920

Monitor Height   1080

Monitor BPP   32 bits per pixel

Monitor Frequency   60 Hz

Device   \\.\DISPLAY6\Monitor0

Check out http://dpi.lv/

No joy. I guess the DPI on this monitor will remain a mystery.

Devons rig