Sign in to follow this  
swiesma

Recommended Addon for Ground Textures / more Details

Hi guys,

I am relatively new to P3D (2 months) but I guess I have all neccessary addons right now.

The only thing which stilll is not up to my expectations is the terrain.

I read about some addons, mainly FTX Global + Global Vector + OpenLC.

As the price of these 3 Addons is pretty high, I wanted to ask if there are any other recommendations from the pro users in the forum  :smile:

Any help is greatly appreciated!

And please excuse the bad english...

Cheers from EDDM

To start with, you dont need all three. If you're talking about textures, FTX global is a good one and GEP3D. It's a matter of taste, but I prefer FTX Global over GEP3D.

When you're talking about more detail, detail in the shape of the land, you'll need a mesh and on this forum you can find FreeMeshX, it's free and it's good.

Then FTX Vector is still a bit harsh on VAS, therefor I'm using UTX v2 myself, but that also a personal choice. I still use Vector, but for elevation issues only.

OpenLC is landclass data, it prevents repetition of the the same patterns of textures. You can use OpenLC, but UTX also has LC data, so if you'd choose UTX you'd have vector and landclass in one. But on the other hand, if the landclass of UTX isnt to your liking, you could always combine UTX with OpenLC.

But to start with I'd go for a proper textures replacement and there are cheaper ones, but I tried some and in the end I still bought FTX Global, since the cheaper ones indeed look cheap.

Cheers!

Maarten

Thank you  :smile:

So going for FTX global to start with is not a bad idea at all I guess.

This is all down to what type of flying you do.

If high

Start with Global.

Then add Vector (not out for v3 atm)

That's  all I use.

OLC is better but more strain on your system.

The most detail is Orbx regions they are the best but again they need the most resources to run, but if you fly slow and low they are the best for you to go for. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I am only at high altitudes except for deaprting and arriving  :smile:

777-only Pilot at the moment. I am into big airliners.

Btw: I installed Soft Clouds and PrecipitFX yesterday but only had the chance to do a very short flight.

The clouds look amazing! 

Then Global/vector is all you need!

Have a read thought my guide below in my sig on how to get the beat out of the 777, info on Vector in there also. Note it was written for 2.5 not v3 but 90% is the same.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I already followed your guide. In fact this was one of the first things I found for tweaking the PMDG and v2.5!!!

Great work. Thank you again for this. But I only use the OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1 and this was set in v3 by default so I did not have to change it.

My sim runs great, only MyTraffic 6 is a bit of a hit on the FPS.... But I can live with this as it is only a problem in heavy crowded airports such as OMDB or KLAX.

Thanks again for your great guides and help!

Your Welcome, happy to help.

I'll put a vote in for GEP3D and UTX. I think this combo is fantastic..especially if you do night flying. I used to have FTX global and vector (Vector for only a short time due to performance issues) on my FSX but decided to change over when I moved to P3D. FTx global does look good but I didn't like the way it looked at night. Night textures were barely visible and their 3D lights are nothing special. I do airline flying as well and you couldn't see cities as you flew over them which is very unrealistic. If you don't fly at night it's probably a toss up between FTX and GEP3D for textures. UTX much better than Vector but it is regional and does not cover the globe.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Was looking for GEP3D and could not find any store to buy it from? Maybe I am just blind...

How much would this + UTX be compared to FTX Global + Vector?

Was looking for GEP3D and could not find any store to buy it from? Maybe I am just blind...

How much would this + UTX be compared to FTX Global + Vector?

Flight1 has them...can't recall exact prices but GEP3D was about $130. UTX regions around $30 each.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

For flying high altitudes you might consider photoreal scenery.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

It's a personal preference thing. I'm partial to GEP3D and UTX and use openLC layered in.

But be aware that GEP3D and Global Base are incompatible. It's either or. 

Research, research and don't rush in. They are both happy to sell tomorrow or the day after.  :wink:  :wink:  :smile:

So now I am really confused  :smile:

I am looking at screenshots of all sorts and cannot get to a conclusion...

Is there a difference in performance in GEP3D + UTX vs. Global / Vector?

Slight concern that even after all these updates, new ground textures for V3 is even needed.

Surely by now a sim this advanced doesn't need anything at all?

The advanced sim is just that, not intended for general simmers but for incorporation into much larger and more sophisticated hardware and software. Not really for fans of a particular aircraft type.

If they supplied no textures you'd be here complaning, but as thy reference aftermarket textures AND support photoreal, and it is intended not as a sim abut as a sim platform, I think you should be thankful they include any default aircraft, ground textures or autogen at all. And there isn't too much wrong with the default textures, if truth be told. :smile:

You're confusing `needs` with `wants`. :hi: