Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Am I being picky?...

First of all, I am getting excellent performance using FSX:SE on my old rig ( same processor since 2011 ), but new graphics card ( GTX 960 4 GB ), and could even not touch the configs, or Nvidia Inspector, but I followed AVSIM's Guide, and made just a few adjustments.

In the end of the tweaking ( not more than 10 minutes spent ) IO am getting great FPS and smoothness in PMDG 777, NGX, A2A all modules, with ASN injecting it's great weather. I also have ORBX FTX Global, and my only add-on airport is Madeira X from Aerosoft.

Now, I decided to create separate dll.xml and exe.xml files for:

1) flying FSX:SE only with Aerowinx PSX, with all entries out less those by ASN and ORBX;

2) flying PMDG 777, with the PMDG entries less the HUD one, RASSPRO, ASN and ORBX in;

3) flying A2A  stuff, with only the A2A modules, ASN and ORBX in...

Whenever I am up to play FSX:SE, I choose which aircraft I will fly, and then copy / paste the corresponding dll.xml and exe.xml into the configs folder.

I wonder if this is worth the "effort". I even had a small script that automated the process, but, my question is... If we're not going to use a certain aircraft module, specially a complex one like a PMDG or A2A, can we gain from starting FSX:SE with the dll and exe XML config files cleaned from their modules ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

That does seem like effort. I use the graphics settings option in FSX, and Load up the setting for flying airliners, or bush planes etc. I'm not sure that removing modules would make much difference.

I think it's highly subjective to what is being loaded in the dll.xml and/or exe.xml.

If you are loading external programs that take away from the CPU/GPU then yes, you may see an improvement based on what the program is.

If you are loading a large amount of programs or external dlls then you may see an improvement in initial loading times.

Other than that, do you really need to ask if you are being picky jcomm? We all know the answer to that... :wink:

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Other than that, do you really need to ask if you are being picky jcomm? We all know the answer to that... :wink:

:smile:

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I disable modules in the dll.xml that are not needed for what I am flying to keep them from loading into memory, however I just open the dll.xml file and turn them off there and don't have copies to switch out.

I don't do anything with the exe.xml file though since those modules run in their own address space and don't effect FSX memory.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

have you verified that your VAS changes if you remove them? i always assumed those .dlls only load if they are needed and that the file was just enumerating them so gauges that used them could find the path quickly. that's how a dll is supposed to work anyway, although i suppose i wouldn't be surprised if FSX was doing something weird there.

frankly it sounds like a lot of extra effort to me. i mean even if you save a few seconds in loading time you are giving it right back by having to mess around with your files before every flight. 

i guess if i was being 'picky' i would try to prove one way or another that it made a difference before i made it part of my routine :)

cheers

-andy crosby

I haven't verified VAS changes, but the dll's that I removed no longer showed up in the top drop down menu after disabling them. So, I would say they were being loaded into memory since they showed prior to being disabled even if the programs/utilities weren't being used at that time.

As far as time savings go, it only takes me less that a minute to open then dll.xml file and type disabled into the appropriate section. Most of the stuff I have as disabled are things that I rarely use, such as items from the FSX SDK and modules from planes that I rarely fly.

It might not help much, but since I have been using FSX since '08, starting on a 2GB rig with XP 32 bit and now on a modern system, I have yet to ever have an OOM in 7 years with tons of addon scenery and complex planes, so I guess it must help, even if only a little bit. Plus I only use DX9 and never got into DX10 with the fixer which is supposed to be more efficient as far a VAS is concerned.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well,

thank you for all your comments.

I actually ended up creating 4 sets of dll and exe XML config files, because looking at VAS did suggest a gain, for instance when loading the PMDG 777 without the HUD from the NGX in DLL.XML, or when loading FSX:SE simply for using the AEROSOFT DR-400 or Airbus A320/21 without having the A2A and PMDG entries.

So, since I have just A2As, PMDGs and AEROSOFTSs, and just a couple of each, I have created "customized" DLL and EXE configs for each one, and a very clean one which I use when I want to use "pure" FSX:SE for instance with Aerowinx PSX ( in that case I also set the autogen to NILL in the Scenery config tab of the sim ... ).

Main Simulation Rig: