Sign in to follow this  
castarr

Altimeter "Dancing" up and down won't level

Folks, this may have been addressed moons ago but yet to find a remedy.

My pre-defined altitudes are plugged in and autopilot engaged; however, when the altitude is reached the Altimeter dances up and down and won't level

the aircraft to the pre-defined altitude entry. I usually click autopilot button a few times until the altimeter "calms down" and finally catches the altitude and levels but that is annoying.

I noticed on my Vistaliners 727's and DC-9's and some others but would like any input on what to adjust in Aircraft config or is it something else?..can't find a solution yet...

Your input always appreciated!

Respectfully,

Chris

Retro "junky" :-)

How high of a cruise altitude?  Pitot Heat on?  I thought I would start out with the easy things to check.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Cruise altitude usually between 26k and 27k  Pitot Heat is off...

Thanks for replying..it's probably something staring me right in the face to adjust but can't put my finger on it....:-)

Thanks for replying..it's probably something staring me right in the face to adjust but can't put my finger on it....:-)

Wild guess here....I bet it's because your Pitot Heat is off!  Gets cold up there on occasion. :wink:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

26/27k is round about where A/Ps are designed to change over to Mach for speed control instead of IAS. Assuming you have A/T engaged, could small computational errors in that be affecting the thrust slightly, thus causing the instability? See if it's okay much higher or much lower.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Thanks gents...let me do a little checking with some of the tips you have shared....I will run a flight..as is..and then run same flight..with your suggestions.

I will report back. "gonna figure it out one way or another" 

Thank you buddy roos!

Chris