Sign in to follow this  
flamer

Getting a new - old CPU

Hi all,

I currently have a AMD 6300 overclocked to 4.5ghz and a gtx 580 3gig gpu, 8gig ram. 

I have been using p3d for 2 years now, and finally with version 3 and some mucking around with settings I have it running what I would call 95% smooth with decent graphics. If I throw some weather into the mix though things get jittery again.

I have no interest in spending big bucks as I hardly get time to sim. But I see I can get a 2500k or 2600k chip fairly cheaply on ebay now. The next generation up is quite pricey from there and perhaps not much improvement in raw power. I have a hyper evo cooler so I will be pushing the overclock as fair as it will stretch. Is it worthwhile buying this chip, do you think I will see much improvement with current system? Also which one would be better? From what I know, the 2600k has a better built in gpu and hyperthreading both of these features will be disabled so do I save a few extra bucks and get the 2500k?

cheers

The i5-2500K was an awesome chip. Most of them could easily overclock north of 4Ghz on air.

I'd question, however, how much you're going to save between that and a new Haswell. What's your budget for the new CPU and motherboard? How much would you save over buying new?

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

That's a good question, the numbers I am working off on ebay:

2500K: $120 USD

4770k: $295 USD

So about half the price.. for what I understand to be perhaps a 10%-20% performance jump.

flamer,

I currently have a 2500k myself, overclocked to 4.5ghz on a Noctua NH-D14. I had it on a Hyper 212 Evo, but the temps at 4.5ghz were out of my comfort zone (sometimes hitting 73 degrees C). I settled it around 4.2ghz with that cooler. 

Anyways, it's a solid chip. I bought it used a couple years ago, and it hasn't let me down. In FSX:SE I can run PMDG NGX and 777, with Active Sky Next, and 3rd party airports at the 28-40 fps range, depending on the exact situation. I do know some of that is also GPU dependent, so your mileage may vary. 

There are also the 4670k's and 4690k's coming in around the $200 range (*used*, not sure New) on eBay that could be nice choices as well, but then you also have to factor in the higher prices of LGA1150 motherboards. If you're happy with the price point the 2500k is at, I'm sure it would be a nice purchase for you. If you have any other questions let me know

Jim

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

If you have a microcenter near you, the 4790k can be had for $279, 4690k for $199. The difference between Sandy and haswell for me was approx. 25%. A good Asus ROG hero board is $100-$150 (overclocking ease). My 2¢.

If you have a microcenter near you, the 4790k can be had for $279, 4690k for $199. The difference between Sandy and haswell for me was approx. 25%. A good Asus ROG hero board is $100-$150 (overclocking ease). My 2¢.

Unfortunately I am located in New Zealand, the cheapest local supplier of 4690k equates to $260 US. and the other issue is this will then bottleneck my GPU.. its a vicious cycle dammit  :Tounge:

That's a good question, the numbers I am working off on ebay:

2500K: $120 USD

4770k: $295 USD

So about half the price.. for what I understand to be perhaps a 10%-20% performance jump.

Don't forget you need a different motherboard - add that to the price. It actually makes the delta between the Sandy Bridge and the Haswell bigger, but I don't like buying second-hand motherboards.

I'd save up and replace the CPU, motherboard and RAM at the same time.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.