Sign in to follow this  

30 hz... how to figure out which monitor supports this...?

I am searching for a not too expensive monitor that has a regular 1920x1080 resolution but which can run at 30 hz (for smoother performance in flightsims). I am having a hard time figuring out which monitors support this though... I can only find very HD res monitors that seem to use HMDI 1.4 at 30 hz...? Are there any 1080 monitors that can run at 30 hz?

Most can be downclocked manually in NVidia Control Panel. Have you tried to do it to the one you currently have?

Look for information sheets on the manufacturer website that lists the monitors display resolution support, it usually lists the refresh rate support as well.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

You can scratch the Dell Ultra sharp monitor off your list as its strictly only 60 Hrz 

Are there any 1080 monitors that can run at 30 hz?

As pointed out most 1080's can run at 30Hz, but the problem is they may NOT look good at 30Hz.  If you haven't already tried, you can setup a custom timing for 30Hz via NCP and see how it looks on your existing monitor.  Even monitors that say 60Hz only can usually display at 24,25,30,50,60 Hz

WARNING: Proceed at your own risk

Set custom settings here:

73896e4613cda448a15646860ec44705.jpg

3f2a0a2dd54ffc35dea21baf3256c9df.jpg

f490565811972773f63c6bdc8bbdb975.jpg

With that said, I haven't found any "home grade" 1080p monitors that look good at 30Hz (they often flicker or pulsate)

Very high end monitors capable of 60, 30, 24: 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891005-REG/Panasonic_bt_lh2170pj_21_5_LCD_Studio_Monitor.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1015238-REG/sony_pvma250_25_professional_oled.html/prm/alsVwDtl

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758921-REG/Sony_BVM_E250_BVM_E250_Trimaster_EL_OLED.html/prm/alsVwDtl

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Video-Monitors/ci/2199/N/4028759509

But these are primarily studio/professional monitors that are designed to operate at various camera recording speeds and high bit depth.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Elaine,

Well ... I listed cause ya never know, some silent listeners here have big budgets ... much larger budgets than my humble gear.  But again these are Professional level monitors designed to operate with all kinds of different gear and very high end image reproduction ... some serious kit.

Cheers, Rob. 

Thanks for the replies. I will give Rob's test a try. But if that one fails it seems I would have to get a 4K monitor in order to enjoy good looking 30 hz. Those linked monitors are just a little bit above my budget... If I had that kind of money, I already would have bought two 980 Ti's and three 4K screens... ;)

Those linked monitors are just a little bit above my budget... If I had that kind of money, I already would have bought two 980 Ti's and three 4K screens... ;)

Agree, but I was just answering your 1080 question.  

But it does emphasize that "not all monitors are the same" so if one is hunting for "value" then one needs to know what to look for to make sure they get what they want/need.  It's also very important to know all the "variables" in the 30Hz equation from video card, drivers, cable, port type, and finally monitor -- all of these play an important role it meeting one's goals.

On the cost/budget aspect, my personal take is if you find a monitor that does meet your goals but is beyond your budget then wait, don't buy a monitor that partially meets your goals and only gets you 50% of the way ... I would view that as just wasting money.  It's much better to wait and get those tools that meet your needs, rather than compromise the tools that only 1/2 meet your needs just because they meet your budget constraints.

I see this A LOT ... "here is my budget what can I make fit into my budget".  It really should be, "here are my goals what will it cost me to hit those goals?".  

As far as 3 4K monitors, then I'd recommend 3 980Ti :)

For P3D, if you want to run something very similar to my main FS PC on the performance front then I'd recommend:

i7 5820K ($390)

Asus X99-A Motherboard ($240)

980Ti ($660)

SamSung EVO 850 250GB ($85) + Samsung EVO 850 500GB ($164)

16GB DDR4 GSkill RAM 3000Mhz ($145)

Thermaltake Core X9 case (horizontal mount Motherboard - white or black) ($160)

EVGA 1000Watt P2 ($219)

4K monitor of choice that works well at 30Hz ($400 - $4000)

Complete PC: $2063  

Monitor: $400 - $4000 (on upwards)

So one doesn't really need anything as "exotic" (for use of a better word) on the PC front to run at the same smooth graphics settings I operate at with NO tweaks, just fly.  You don't "need" water cooling ... I do all that stuff just because I enjoy it ... I certainly don't do it for the performance difference which is really marginal on the CPU side and on the GPU side OC ONLY makes a difference when using SGSS AA.

So for less than the cost of a MacBook Pro laptop one has a great P3D V3 Flight Sim PC. :)

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the very wise words, Rob! Very true what you said about achieving the goals.

Also thanks for that interesting shopping list which I copied for future reference. Out of curiosity: that CPU would run stock with the stock cooler...? Officially I am not yet in the market for a new PC but er... well, you never know... ;)

Well ... I listed cause ya never know, some silent listeners here have big budgets ... much larger budgets than my humble gear.  But again these are Professional level monitors designed to operate with all kinds of different gear and very high end image reproduction ... some serious kit.

Well that's true,  plenty of closet money people out there  :smile:      

My next big purchases will probably be the 30 inch Dell ultra Sharp :wub:   great monitor, nearly 1000 Euro though 

I now only sim at 30Hz.

My Dell U3415W runs at 30Hz beautifully via a custom resolution from NCP.

The LG34UC97W supports 30Hz natively out of the box via a preset.

It would be great if there was a list of monitorss that could support 30Hz natively or successfully by custom resolution at different sizes and price points.

Regards

Michael M

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

Out of curiosity: that CPU would run stock with the stock cooler...? 

Any of those that are for LGA2011-V3 X-99 chipset ... but for ease of install I'd go with a self-contained water loop like this one from EK: https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-xlc-predator-360-incl-qdc

Simple and self contained and if you decide to expand your water cooling solution it's easy.  I'm not a "fan" of large air cooled heatsink units on any vertical mounted motherboard.

Now back to flying, just finished a flight from FT EKCH to Aerosoft ENGM with ASN and GSX and MT6 (operated at both dep/arr) in the Q400 ... amazing experience with very high graphics settings (post video later).  Is EKCH usually very low visibility?

Cheers, Rob.

"Is EKCH usually very low visibility?"

Hi Rob, at this time of the year, yes sometimes. High pressure, low temp and a warmer water. That is rather common for Scandinavian countries in the autumn. When I was still active as helicopter pilot (mainly powerline inspection) we did spend a lot of time waiting on the ground. Yesterday I did a flight from ESSA, nice weather, to EKCH and that was really close to go around. Had the field a few seconds before Minimums.

Regards, Goran

Goran Arvnell