Sign in to follow this  

30 hz... how to figure out which monitor supports this...?

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the build idea Rob.  This is definitely on my to do list in the next 6 months.

Do you overclock or can it run stock?  As you said the little extra doesn't really seem to show much difference in the end.

I was also just going to continue to use my 6 month old 970 instead of purchasing a 980.

Thanks again.

Sean Green

I overclock my CPU, but the benefits are marginal (1-2 FPS).  Overclocking the GPU if you are using SGSS AA can be beneficial.

I think nVidia might have their latest and greatest next gen GPU out in 6 months (or so) so might be worth waiting if you have a 970 already.

Cheers, Rob.

"Is EKCH usually very low visibility?"

Hi Rob, at this time of the year, yes sometimes. 

Good to know, I was wondering if there was a problem with ASN weather download or something, but glad it really is just a common pattern for EKCH this time of year.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob..

You wrote as follows...

"4K monitor of choice that works well at 30Hz ($400 - $4000)

Complete PC: $2063  

Monitor: $400 - $4000 (on upwards)"

Elsewhere, if I am correct, you mentioned purchasing a single Sony 4k 49" television for your own setup.   Hope this is current information.

If so....What were the decision making considerations there?  Are you satisfied with your choice?   Any lessons learned that would help us?   

thanks

RMM

Hi RMM,

My Sony 4K 49" XBR850B is no longer in production (it's almost a year or so old, ancient by electronic industry standards) ... 4K TV's are changing at a rapid pace ... best practice when shopping is to make sure you have a good return policy in case you can't make it look and work well at 30Hz.

Extremely satisfied with my choice ... operates 30Hz and 60Hz at 4K res.

Cheers, Rob.

Just bumping this one again... could i ask for those that have done this already, does your cursor in Windows become a little more choppy when setting a custom 30hz resolution? My monitor doesn't have a native 30hz refresh, but it does let me set a custom refresh at its native resolution in Nvidia control panel.

Cheers!

On 03/06/2017 at 5:09 AM, stripealipe said:

Just bumping this one again... could i ask for those that have done this already, does your cursor in Windows become a little more choppy when setting a custom 30hz resolution?

Not choppy but you get a trailing mult-image effect which is more obvious the faster you drag it.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I know that this is not directly answering the original question, but have you tried just setting vsync to Adaptive (half refresh rate) in the NVIDIA Control Panel? It automatically limits the FPS on a 60Hz monitor to 30Hz. Works well for me on my 60Hz, 2560 x 1440 monitor - very smooth and with none of the potential problems of under-clocking your monitor.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit