Sign in to follow this  
FlyBaby

Issues with Performance / Memory

System specs  are I5 CPU  :  4G 670 GTX GPU  :  8G RAM  :  SSD Drive.

I can run X-Plane fairly well at 30 FPS and smooth. Recently I added the W2XP scenery and began getting “Out of memory” errors. I increased the page file size to 7,000mb+ to correct this and Vram does not seem to go above 3.5G.

However…

1) I still get OOM errors if I load more than 3 or 4 airports during a single session of XP.

2) If I quit x plane (or get an OOM error) and then launch it again (without rebooting), my FPS drop to

about 3 FPS no matter what plane / airport I have loaded.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do (via setting up my PC / upgrading) to eliminate the issues above?

System specs  are I5 CPU  :  4G 670 GTX GPU  :  8G RAM  :  SSD Drive.

I can run X-Plane fairly well at 30 FPS and smooth. Recently I added the W2XP scenery and began getting “Out of memory” errors. I increased the page file size to 7,000mb+ to correct this and Vram does not seem to go above 3.5G.

However…

1) I still get OOM errors if I load more than 3 or 4 airports during a single session of XP.

2) If I quit x plane (or get an OOM error) and then launch it again (without rebooting), my FPS drop to

about 3 FPS no matter what plane / airport I have loaded.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do (via setting up my PC / upgrading) to eliminate the issues above?

I experienced the same...I believe the W2XP scenery takes a toll and you are running out of RAM. I went from 8G to 24G and now I can fly anywhere with W2XP without a problem.

If you're running at max settings for objects/forests or roads it will use quite a lot of memory. I've managed fine so far with 16GB and never received OOM errors. So I'd suggest investing in an extra 8GB if you can.

Also, I presume you are running the 64-bit version of X-Plane?

OS?  What video driver version?  

I read that the OOM errors are usually caused by add-ons but I have no direct experience with that.  With regards to 2, I've been experiencing something similar...I'll get 3 to 5 FPS and when I look at GPU-Z I see bus interface load between 20 and 50%.  Usually it's 0 to 2 percent.  Reboot does seem to fix it but sometimes if I stop/restart XP and close some other things that chew up VRAM...it seems to fix itself.  And sometimes it does not.  I just installed the latest nvidia driver and it seems to be helping but then once so far I did get that same situation.  358.59 seems to be solid for me (GTX970).  I can only conclude so far somehow VRAM is completely overloaded...and restarting somehow seems to free it up...sometimes.  I also added SkyMaxxPro around the same time as 10.40...but then there is also extended dsf's.  I asked ben about those being loaded when on the ground and he said yes, loaded whether flying or not.  So try disabling that to see if you get any different results.  SMP doesn't *seem* to be the problem.

PS - I should have mentioned I'm not using W2XP but do have the HD Mesh and Ex-DSF's on.

If I understood correctly from your post, the size of your page file is manually managed by you, instead of being automatically managed by the OS?

If that is the case, that is a NO-NO!!! Let the OS manage the size of the page file, so that it sets it as big or as small as it needs. Doing otherwise will cause out of memory errors.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

If you're running at max settings for objects/forests or roads it will use quite a lot of memory. I've 

managed fine so far with 16GB and never received OOM errors. So I'd suggest investing in an extra 8GB if you can.

Also, I presume you are running the 64-bit version of X-Plane?

Hey, thanks. You have been a great help to me over the past 2-3 weeks; and I am running the 64-bit version.

OS?  What video driver version?  

I read that the OOM errors are usually caused by add-ons but I have no direct experience with that.  With regards to 2, I've been experiencing something similar...I'll get 3 to 5 FPS and when I look at GPU-Z I see bus interface load between 20 and 50%.  Usually it's 0 to 2 percent.  Reboot does seem to fix it but sometimes if I stop/restart XP and close some other things that chew up VRAM...it seems to fix itself.  And sometimes it does not.  I just installed the latest nvidia driver and it seems to be helping but then once so far I did get that same situation.  358.59 seems to be solid for me (GTX970).  I can only conclude so far somehow VRAM is completely overloaded...and restarting somehow seems to free it up...sometimes.  I also added SkyMaxxPro around the same time as 10.40...but then there is also extended dsf's.  I asked ben about those being loaded when on the ground and he said yes, loaded whether flying or not.  So try disabling that to see if you get any different results.  SMP doesn't *seem* to be the problem.

PS - I should have mentioned I'm not using W2XP but do have the HD Mesh and Ex-DSF's on.

Thanks for the info.

I experienced the same...I believe the W2XP scenery takes a toll and you are running out of RAM. I went from 8G to 24G and now I can fly anywhere with W2XP without a problem.

Thanks...look like more RAM for me!

If I understood correctly from your post, the size of your page file is manually managed by you, instead of being automatically managed by the OS?

If that is the case, that is a NO-NO!!! Let the OS manage the size of the page file, so that it sets it as big or as small as it needs. Doing otherwise will cause out of memory errors.

I will keep this in mind. Thanks.

Update: I just ordered 16G of Ram to bring me up to 24G in total. Thanks everyone for the help.

If you set your page file size manually, you could add all the RAM in the world, but it will remain completely useless.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I "chased" after that setting your own ram stuff for many years - to no avail!

John

John Wingold

If you set your page file size manually, you could add all the RAM in the world, but it will remain completely useless.

Oh, I definitely plan to get rid of my manual setting...thanks.

Also, great catch on the prop error issue in XP!!!

Not to be an alarmist, but mixing and matching memory may sometimes cause problems.  Kits are usually sold in pairs for dual channel...and I wouldn't be surprised if the timings aren't close enough you may run into difficulty having two different pair.  But worst case you'll just use the new 16 GB.  And having 16 on this machine, it's way plenty...what you'll need is about 6GB or more VRAM...that appears to be my bottleneck (at 4GB).  BTW, has anyone noticed that CPU demand going up in 10.40?  My video card used to run at 99% utilization and now I'm running about half that...between 40 and 60 percent.  Seems the CPU is bottlenecking everything now.  Is anyone getting high GPU utilization?  Maybe something here.  And I thought I got rid of this problem when I moved away from AMD.

Thanks for the heads up about the memory...I got the same brand and specs, just larger ram size. In either case, I learned that my WIN7 Home Premium won't use more than 16G, so I am at 16G no matter what for now.

Regarding vram, I am looking at the 6G 980 Titan...I was trying to research how much faster XP would run over my 4G 670.

Never heard about the 16GB limit...interesting.  Windows 10 is excellent and a good upgrade from 7 (if you're worried about privacy, download the O&O utility to disable the "spy settings" conveniently.  Just take a full image of your HDD before you upgrade in case things go bad and you can get back to where you were.  I always prefer a clean install too.  Regarding the 980 Ti...I don't think you'd be disappointed based on what I've read.

Regarding my performance, in a flight from KSBP to KSNA, I noted that when my VRAM dropped to 3.5GB, my FPS shot up to 50, more than double when I was at 3.9GB.  So I guess I'm convinced it's VRAM for me.  I've had that card for a year and it's been great...probably extended DSF's pushing it over the limit.  BTW, I'm not sure Ti stands for Titan as there's a model Titan X that has 12GB of VRAM. :)

As the GTX 970 has only 3.5 GB of "fast" memory and another 0.5 GB of "slow" memory (due to low Bus speed) you will actually hit the wall at 3.5 GB VRAM usage. 980 Ti is a different card than Titan, performs about the same but with very different memory size and price point.

If you're not in a hurry it might be worth to wait for the next Gen NVIDIA cards that will have a new kind of memory (HBM 2) -  much faster and substantially larger with less power needed. Will arrive in Q2 or Q3 2016. Not that long away.

Both, the 980 Ti and the Titan are very expensive for what they offer.

Flo

Memory Limits for the various versions of Windows 10:

• Windows 10 Home – 128 GB
  • Windows 10 Professional – 512 GB
  • Windows 10 Enterprise – 512 GB
  • All 32 bit versions of Windows 10 – 4GB

Memory Limits for the various versions of Windows 8.1:

• Windows 8.1 RT – 4GB
  • Windows 8.1  – 128GB
  • Windows 8.1 Pro – 512GB
  • Windows 8.1 Enterprise – 512GB
  • All 32 bit versions of Windows 8.1 – 4GB

Memory Limits for the various versions of Windows 8:

• Windows 8 – 128GB
  • Windows 8 Pro –512 GB
  • Windows 8 Enterprise – 512GB
  • All 32 but versions of Windows 8 – 4GB

Memory Limits for the various versions of Windows 7:

• Windows 7 Starter Edition – 2GB (Note: there is no 64 bit version of Win 7 Starter Edition)
  • Windows 7 Home Basic – 8GB
  • Windows 7 Home Premium – 16GB
  • Windows 7 Pro – 192GB
  • Windows 7 Enterprise – 192GB
  • Windows 7 Ultimate – 192GB
  • All 32 bit version of Windows 7 Except Win 7 Starter Edition – 4GB

Memory Limits for the various versions of Windows Vista:

• Windows Vista Starter Edition – 1GB (Note: there is no 64 bit version of Win Vista Starter Edition)
  • Windows Vista Home Basic – 8GB
  • Windows Vista Home Premium – 16GB
  • Windows Vista Business – 128GB
  • Windows Vista Enterprise – 128GB
  • Windows Vista Ultimate – 128GB
  • All 32 bit version of Windows Vista Except Win Vista Starter Edition – 4GB

Memory Limits for the various versions of Windows XP:

• Windows XP Starter Edition – 512MB (Note: there is no 64 bit version of Win XP Starter Edition)
  • All 32 bit versions of Windows XP (except Win XP Starter): 4GB
  • All 64 bit versions of Windows XP: 128GB

John Wingold