Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

P3D3 new folder structure

Will there be a version of Precipitfx that will scan aircraft folders OUTSIDE of the standard SimObjects folder?

I'm thinking that anyone who follows their guidelines and installs aircraft outside the root will not be scanned by PrecipitFx.

Thanx,

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Will there be a version of Precipitfx that will scan aircraft folders OUTSIDE of the standard SimObjects folder?

I'm thinking that anyone who follows their guidelines and installs aircraft outside the root will not be scanned by PrecipitFx.

Thanx,

Vic

Hi Vic,

Although the support for those custom directories is not a priority for us right now, we are planning on adding support for custom directories in the future. We're talking about a few months here.

Thank you for your feedback!

• Upvote 1

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Thanks for raising this Vic, I think Keven's reply is honest, succinct and encouraging :)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Agreed Kevin. For now I assume I can manually make the changes.

I used to code in assembler and C++ and I've been chuckling since LM suggested the folder change. So many people see it as a simple - "point it to here" change without a clue as to exactly how much work it could be for the developers.

Even if it was the only thing Keven was working on, I don't think it would be something that he could whip out overnight.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

There are a lot of debates right now about this change to the folders structure. What we are seeing right now seems to be the first step to a total isolation of extensions from the core sim.

Some things are still vague with this process and needs to be worked out. We are waiting for a stable platform before migrating our products to it.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

LOL! Politely said Sir! Hard to hit a moving target.  :smile:

Vic

If the installer is crafted so that installation is totally automatic, without any sort of input from the user, then I agree that it is difficult to hit a moving target. But if the installer is written to seek input from the user as to where certain files can found, then LM can move things around all they want without the need to adjust the installer after possibly every new version of P3D. For example, both Plan G and ProATC-X require the user to 'tell' the utility where certain files can be found. I very much agree with LM's approach as Keven says, to isolate all extensions from the core sim.

JJ

If the installer is crafted so that installation is totally automatic, without any sort of input from the user, then I agree that it is difficult to hit a moving target. But if the installer is written to seek input from the user as to where certain files can found, then LM can move things around all they want without the need to adjust the installer after possibly every new version of P3D. For example, both Plan G and ProATC-X require the user to 'tell' the utility where certain files can be found. I very much agree with LM's approach as Kevin says, to isolate all extensions from the core sim.

JJ

I don't disagree with the concept, it's a great idea.

But I think it would be great for an average user not to have to edit the simobject.cfg, effects.cfg, fonts.cfg, gauges.cfg, texture.cfg and sound.cfg files manually as they are buried deep into a hidden system folder. We can do it for the scenery library, why can't we for all the other folders?

Also, some glitches need to be resolved when it comes to relative paths etc.

Again, we are planning to add the new configuration to the Install Utility in a few months.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Thanks for the feedback Keven. Sorry for misspelling your name in my original post. I've corrected my mistake.

Regards,

JJ

Thanks for the feedback Keven. Sorry for misspelling your name in my original post. I've corrected my mistake.

Regards,

JJ

hahha that's what happens when we're a few Kev(i|e)ns around

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

I don't disagree with the concept, it's a great idea.

But I think it would be great for an average user not to have to edit the simobject.cfg, effects.cfg, fonts.cfg, gauges.cfg, texture.cfg and sound.cfg files manually as they are buried deep into a hidden system folder. We can do it for the scenery library, why can't we for all the other folders?

Keven - The cfg files can be changed from the commandline by the developer eliminating user editing. It's outlined in the SDK. See the link below -

http://www.avsim.com/topic/476713-prepar3d-v3-configuration-files-for-add-on-developers/

Vic

I am aware of the command line, but I feel that leaving it to developers without any simple way to manage it for the user is a terrible idea.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

To be fair, from what I can see, for a user to manage it manually appears to require a) creating a folder structure and b ) editing cfg files in notepad.... not exactly rocket science :)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

To be fair, from what I can see, for a user to manage it manually appears to require a) creating a folder structure and b ) editing cfg files in notepad.... not exactly rocket science :)

Fore most users, yes, but everyday we get support requests of people that don't even know where their prepar3d.cfg file is located or can't figure out if FSUIPC is installed because there is no "Manage Extensions" section in the sim's menus... I think that if they are to promote installation of content to be installed outside of the sim, users need a proper, customer friendly way, of managing those paths in the sim.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Fore most users, yes, but everyday we get support requests of people that don't even know where their prepar3d.cfg file is located or can't figure out if FSUIPC is installed because there is no "Manage Extensions" section in the sim's menus... I think that if they are to promote installation of content to be installed outside of the sim, users need a proper, customer friendly way, of managing those paths in the sim.

Do you mean a GUI for each of the cfg files just like we have for the scenery.cfg Keven? I could see the benefit of that for some people perhaps for manually setting legacy sceneries up, but dont quite get why that means you can't install stuff outside the core folders straight away now? Isnt the whole point anyway, that you as a dev choose the external install location and the end user doesnt have to do anything at all? :)

xaP1VAU.png