Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

P3D V3 starting with a clean canvas

Hi all,

I have upgraded my PC, with a coupe of new bits of hardware. It is nothing great, but more of a stop gap, untill I can get a more upto date PC.

Will this run P3D ok? I plan to fly the PMDG NXG, and Orbex scenery. And a few additional addons, such as EZCAM, and ASN. Possiblily FS2Crew (re-boot)

A GeForce GTX 750 Ti, running Direct X 12.

[Display]
Operating System:    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
DirectX version:    12.0
GPU processor:        GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Driver version:        353.82
Direct3D API version:    12
Direct3D feature level:    11_0
CUDA Cores:        640
Core clock:        1071 MHz
Memory data rate:    5400 MHz
Memory interface:    128-bit
Memory bandwidth:    86.40 GB/s
Total available graphics memory:    14335 MB
Dedicated video memory:    2048 MB GDDR5
System video memory:    0 MB
Shared system memory:    12287 MB
Video BIOS version:    82.07.55.00.34
IRQ:            Not used
Bus:            PCI Express x16 Gen2
Device ID:        10DE 1380 84BB1043
Part Number:        2010 0050

My previous Processor

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz

And a scandisk SSD 480 as a main Boot drive.

I have looked into the TRIM test, Enabled AHCI, however I'm not sure if the SATA3 is working correctly, it may still be SATA2 .

(not sure about that one).

I'm keen to know if this is a good change or not. I have heard that SSD drives are good for reading textures? I have quietly been watching the development of P3D, but as yet not got involved with it. From what I gather, P3D is better for re-time performance than legacy FSX? I am quite keen to try P3D soon?

Best regards, from nervous future P3D user...

Jools

Hard to say if the change is good if we don't know what your previous GPU was and what your new CPU is. ;) SSD's are only good for loading the initial flight faster: they won't improve performance at all during the flight. Other advantage is you do not have to defrag them.

Hard to say if the change is good if we don't know what your previous GPU was and what your new CPU is. ;) SSD's are only good for loading the initial flight faster: they won't improve performance at all during the flight. Other advantage is you do not have to defrag them.

The last graphics card was a Nvidea GTX480, and and I had the main hard drive set to SAMSUNG HD103sj ATA Device. ( I still have this drive, as extra storage).

I also now have Windows 10.

I don't expect better frames or anything, as I know this is dependant on  CPU, But maybe I might see less blank scenery re-draws? This is what I am hoping. Coupled with the fact that P3D is a better real time renderer..It might be a disapointment lets see.

From my experience I would put $$ into the fastest CPU your budget can afford - at least having it run at over 4GHz.  For GPU, go for more on board ram over the fastest GPU.  Consider a GTX 780 with 6GB on board than say a Ti version.

just from my personal experience what works for me.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

You still haven't answered the question - what is your NEW CPU - not the GPU.

You really need to be above 4ghz for best operation.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

You still haven't answered the question - what is your NEW CPU - not the GPU.

You really need to be above 4ghz for best operation.

Vic

No I haven't got a new CPU, I am still using a Intel® Core i7 CPU 930 @2.8GHZ (8*CPUs) 2.0GHz.

I am not expecting the best performance, but just something noticably better than I was used to. It is importannt to state my expectations.

Old FSX was ok, I found a lot of scenery slow to load. Frames were about 25, with sliders average/high, with addon scenery.

I didn't max out sliders on classic FSX, but I was wondering if P3d would be better.  Buying a high spec machine isn't possible right now. A radical change to the processor isn't possible now.

ok, I understand.

You should get better performance than FSX as many of the functions have been offoaded to the GPU which will lighten the load on the CPU.

Experiment with your settings - lower those that affect the CPU more (autogen, etc).

Also remember that the settings are not equal - NORMAL in P3D is like DENSE in FSX.

Even with the slow CPU I believe you'll get acceptable results.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

ok, I understand.

You should get better performance than FSX as many of the functions have been offoaded to the GPU which will lighten the load on the CPU.

Experiment with your settings - lower those that affect the CPU more (autogen, etc).

Also remember that the settings are not equal - NORMAL in P3D is like DENSE in FSX.

Even with the slow CPU I believe you'll get acceptable results.

Vic

This is what I was hoping, I'm not going to go nuts, with the autogen, but hopfully I will be blown away with 'Normal'.