Sign in to follow this  
rparson99

REX Weather......

I interrupted this as the user needing to perform some action (e.g. button click) to alter the appearance. Is that accurate, sir?

No button click needed - does it for you - automatic 

Rich Sennett

Weather FORCE is one of two components of an over all API called Environment FORCE.

The two components are Texture FORCE and Weather FORCE.   

Both of these components of the API will be included with Weather Direct when released.   Both will interact with each other to provide - what we like to call an environment which now has "LIFE".   An environment that truly interacts with the weather conditions dynamically on the fly while in sim.

Any timelines on when we can expect it to be available ?

No button click needed - does it for you - automatic 

Are you sure, sir?   If you're a BETA tester, I apologize for the dumb question.  However, that's not what the products description says.   It clearly says "a user can change the colors of the tops and base of the clouds."  You'll note it states the "user can", not that the "program will", which implies user interaction.  Read through the products page and you will see this and other verbiage (e.g. you are able to now change the structure) that lead me to believe that some user interaction is required.  Again, if you're a BETA tester, and in the know, I apologize for the questions. 

Matt King

Are you sure, sir?   If you're a BETA tester, I apologize for the dumb question.  However, that's not what the products description says.   It clearly says "a user can change the colors of the tops and base of the clouds."  You'll note it states the "user can", not that the "program will", which implies user interaction.  Read through the products page and you will see this and other verbiage (e.g. you are able to now change the structure) that lead me to believe that some user interaction is required.  Again, if you're a BETA tester, and in the know, I apologize for the questions. 

I should be beta testing it - come on Tim :) but not sure I am assuming it will change per the conditions maybe it wont - well see

Rich Sennett

Suggest re-reading what was stated in http://www.avsim.com/topic/476682-rex-weather/#entry3314120

It's explicitly stated by Reed  that the two items interact. 

Both of these components of the API will be included with Weather Direct when released.   Both will interact with each other to provide - what we like to call an environment which now has "LIFE".   An environment that truly interacts with the weather conditions dynamically on the fly while in sim.

Clearly this is the fundamental difference between this and all previous weather engines - this one actually does add textural elements that influence what you see, beyond the current option under REX and other engines to pre-set and then load the sim.

If you wish to argue the semantics of individual words then perhaps this isn't the forum to do it - I'm curious why you haven't posted the question directly to the developers in their own forums ?

If you go to the Weather Direct micro-site http://www.rexsimulations.com/weatherdirect.html you will see an explicit and clear statement of what will be offered

Dynamically change the hues, brightness and contrast of the cloud tops and bases in real-time, while in flight! 

Suggest re-reading what was stated in http://www.avsim.com/topic/476682-rex-weather/#entry3314120

It's explicitly stated by Reed  that the two items interact. 

Clearly this is the fundamental difference between this and all previous weather engines - this one actually does add textural elements that influence what you see, beyond the current option under REX and other engines to pre-set and then load the sim.

If you wish to argue the semantics of individual words then perhaps this isn't the forum to do it - I'm curious why you haven't posted the question directly to the developers in their own forums ?

If you go to the Weather Direct micro-site http://www.rexsimulations.com/weatherdirect.html you will see an explicit and clear statement of what will be offered

I think you're mistaken, sir.   To that point, did you notice the quotes I provided were obtained directly from the site you identified? Did you read the REX Force Product Discription?  "It will give the user powerful settings provided by the Environment FORCE API to create the most unparalleled weather experience in Flight Simulator history." Perhaps you should read through the list of features again?  It clearly states, multiple times, "you are able to now," "the user can now", or "you are able to select on the fly."  To me, that implies some user interaction is required.  How can this be interpreted any other way? Also, regarding your last quote (e.g. "Dynamically changes the hues..."), you need to include the entire quote to comprehend the feature:

"Dynamically change the hues, brightness and contrast of the cloud tops and bases in real-time, while in flight! Alter the clouds for a more realistic appearance in regards to the weather situations."

I believe "Real-time" and "Dynamic" refer to the ability to change the environment, without reloading the simulator, which is the static paradigm that exists today.  I think many will appreciate this feature.  However, the sentence clearly infers some user interaction (i.e. Alter NOT Alters the clouds...) 

According to the features list, the user will have to define what the environment should look like.  For example, review the Cloud Swapping and Cloud Structuring features:

Cloud Swapping

Swap cloud textures in real-time while in flight! You will no longer be required to first select and load clouds before the simulator starts. This process is now automatic and you are able to select clouds within the simulator to match the weather conditions. This feature is compatible with and works on all default or any 3rd-party texture and weather packages.

Cloud Structuring

Complete control of the size, volume and mass of cloud structures in real-time while in flight! If the weather conditions call for overcast, you are able to now change the structure of the clouds, causing the clouds to fill in the gaps. Change the structure of the thunderstorms to make them more ominous with no degradation of FPS or VAS usage. This feature is compatible with and works on all default or any 3rd-party texture and weather package

This is not semantics, sir.  It clearly states, in black and white, over and over again, "the user controls" said features. I suggest you navigate to the link you provided and read the information without interjecting biases or making assumptions.  The dynamical feature relates to the ability to change the textures in-real time, without restarting the simulator.   To be clear, I could be COMPLETELY wrong and would appreciate developers, or others, insight. Either way, the ability to load textures sets into the simulator, while it's running, has me intrigued.  Congrads to REX for accomplishing this feat!   

Finally, considering the developer has interacted, multiple times, within this thread, I don't see the issue with using this venue to ask a question? BTW, to your mind, what types of questions/discussions should be posed on AVSIM? 

Matt King

Quite obviously, one's that don't require understanding the deep inner workings of the developers mind. It's Avsim, not AvMind.  :hi:

Again, why have you not posted your question in the appropriate place ? I keep looking over there for your question. Still not appeared. Why is that ? What is your reluctance ?

And to go back to the page you refer to

It is one thing to have weather changes, but now with the power of the two components of the Environment FORCE API, the surrounding environment will transition and respond to the weather conditions while in you are in the sim. If the conditions become stormy, clouds change in structure as well as terrain, sky, and water change in unison.

and 

Weather Force integrates nicely with other REX 4 tools. It will provide the necessary basic functions to communicate with the tool so you do not have to open it to use it. Therefore, if you have REX 4 Texture Direct, Weather Force will utilize its weather features to select the best environmental textures to inject into the flight sim. Clouds specifically can be injected while within the sim. So no longer do you have to stop the sim – inject textures – and start over again.

Those are as clear a statement as it's possible to get - certainly enough to satisfy the most querulous.

If you want an answer to a question, pose it to the right person, in the right place. 

You guys making me sad, My weather is HIFI ASN forever, I love their attention to detail, for example ease of installation and maintenance of service updates.

Am part of the HIFI ISIS and find this thread offensive in the promise it holds, regard irresistible ground breaking weather add-on.

And for textures am part of Rex Sect

cant we just leave it like that, pleeeasssee, pretty please.

HIFI backed away from textures, they not gona take this lying down if you want their weather engine too.

Awfully ambitious list of features... It will be interesting to see how the product shapes up.

Competition is good. I am sure that ASN is also working on something equally as "revolutionary" and "ground breaking". There's plenty of room for all and the end result is the users get the benefit of their labors.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Competition is good. I am sure that ASN is also working on something equally as "revolutionary" and "ground breaking". There's plenty of room for all and the end result is the users get the benefit of their labors.

Vic

ASN working on something also - that would be very cooooool

Rich Sennett

Timeline is that we are currently within alpha testing much of these things now.  So they are actually working.  We should be entering beta testing very soon.  Because of the extensive alpha testing in house, I expect beta testing to go very quickly.

Also, feel free to ask questions here or on our forum.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Timeline is that we are currently within alpha testing much of these things now. So they are actually working. We should be entering beta testing very soon. Because of the extensive alpha testing in house, I expect beta testing to go very quickly.

Also, feel free to ask questions here or on our forum.

I was hoping you'd directly answer Kingm56's question as others want clarification as well.

The way I read it is that the user does the changing of colors and such but other statements come across as REX will be making the changes on its own in real time based on the weather.

I'd assume it's the first and not the latter, please clarify.

Vic

I was hoping the same as well. When it comes to weather injectors I prefer to stick with their products as they seem to always perform the best and reliably. I'll never give OPUS another shot based on the attitude they've displayed to other developers. The REX folks are nice but the last versions of weather generators didn't provide what I needed compared to ASN.

I'll be interested to see what they pull off based on reviews here and if they integrate with PMDG products. If no PMDG integration then I will have to pass.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Quite obviously, one's that don't require understanding the deep inner workings of the developers mind. It's Avsim, not AvMind.  :hi:

Again, why have you not posted your question in the appropriate place ? I keep looking over there for your question. Still not appeared. Why is that ? What is your reluctance ?

And to go back to the page you refer to

and 

Those are as clear a statement as it's possible to get - certainly enough to satisfy the most querulous.

If you want an answer to a question, pose it to the right person, in the right place. 

I am not overly critical, sir.  I am a programmer (not flight sim, don't have time) who has a dual masters; one of which is an MBA. So, I understand business and marketing approaches.  Notice the developer has visit this page, read our comments, and chose not correct my assertions.  What does that tell you?  He also invited us to carry-on our conversation via this forum.  OMG, can you fathom the notion?  Asking a flight simulator related question, in a forum dedicated to flight simulation...that's crazy.

BTW, I am an owner of several REX products and have high regards for the team; they are friendly, helpful and innovative Flight Sim developers.  I wish them nothing but successes; however, that won't prevent me from asking probing questions.  

I was hoping you'd directly answer Kingm56's question as others want clarification as well.

The way I read it is that the user does the changing of colors and such but other statements come across as REX will be making the changes on its own in real time based on the weather.

I'd assume it's the first and not the latter, please clarify.

I was hoping the same as well. When it comes to weather injectors I prefer to stick with their products as they seem to always perform the best and reliably. I'll never give OPUS another shot based on the attitude they've displayed to other developers. The REX folks are nice but the last versions of weather generators didn't provide what I needed compared to ASN.

I'll be interested to see what they pull off based on reviews here and if they integrate with PMDG products. If no PMDG integration then I will have to pass.

No Jim, it's perfectly clear; just ask louisdecoolste. 

Concerning PMDG; I believe it will be up to PMDG to integrate REX products into their products.  I suspect REX will provide the API; however, PMDG will have to use it.  If consumers put enough pressure on them, perhaps they will concede...

Matt King

Concerning PMDG; I believe it will be up to PMDG to integrate REX products into their products. I suspect REX will provide the API; however, PMDG will have to use it. If consumers put enough pressure on them, perhaps they will concede...

PMDG had reported on their forum that they have contacted the REX team to discuss the possibilities.

I also found it interesting that Reed was here and didn't clarify your question. I assume that he doesn't want to answer of the program won't make all the changes automatically as he doesn't want to put a damper on the product before it's even released. For marketing purposes it might create more interest in the product and people talking about it by being vague rather than giving straight answers and possibly turning people off.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator