Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

Should I wait a bit before buying P3D V3

As stated, in the header?

Because I know it is a new release. Is it working ok with your PMDG products?

I am a complete newbee at P3D, but I have been quietly watching people use it and it looks like a good step forward. All be it a bit expensive, and slightly pretentious licensing arrangment. If I like it maybe I will retract that statment very quickly.

The reasons for buying by the way is that the interface looks good, and talk of stability and better general performance looks exciting. Lots of subtle detail that might improve the experience of flight sim.

Should I go for it? I am quite keen.  I have reformated my PC for future PMDG 737 activity.

Many thanks

Jools

Definitely go for it!

P3D V2 is also better then FSX in many aspects, but maybe one with a very good system could achieve similar results then one with P3D V2 and a weaker system (despite the advantages of P3D V2 like shadows etc.)

Now, P3D V3 is a big step forward in performance and most important VAS managing.

You can't now compare FSX and P3D V3 in my opinion

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also go for it, but I would wait a bit longer. There are still a lot of addons that still need to be upgraded to v3. But if all the particular ones you use are compatible now then why wait...

Cheers

Martin

Definitely go for it!

P3D V2 is also better then FSX in many aspects, but maybe one with a very good system could achieve similar results then one with P3D V2 and a weaker system (despite the advantages of P3D V2 like shadows etc.)

Now, P3D V3 is a big step forward in performance and most important VAS managing.

You can't now compare FSX and P3D V3 in my opinion

That's great, to know. 

I have a farly slow system now. But even if it is better than what I was used to with old FSX it would be a good thing. 

I just want to get the PMDG NGX.

I already have ASN I think it will work with P3D,

Would like to use EZDOK as it helps you get round the cockpit.

Plus some add-on scenery such as the very nice UK ORBX scenery. 

Maybe later the new FS2Crew. 

I am too dependent on FS2Crew, it is creating a deficiency in my knowledge, of the PMDG  I have noticed. Need to get back to basics.

My specs are below.

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150930-1750)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
             System Model: X58A-UD3R
                     BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
                   Memory: 24576MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 24574MB RAM
                Page File: 3158MB used, 45991MB available
              Windows Dir: Z:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA

I say go for it, I have never been happier with a sim. Word of caution, you said "bit pricey" Just remember there is no reason to buy the pro version. The academic version is just a good and you cant even tell the academic version is on the corner.

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

I say go for it, I have never been happier with a sim. Word of caution, you said "bit pricey" Just remember there is no reason to buy the pro version. The academic version is just a good and you cant even tell the academic version is on the corner.

I don't know what to think of this...

I'm not a student, I am a flight sim enthusiast.   I don't like the way the licensing is, where the consumer is tempted to lie about their circumstances in order to get a cheaper purchase. And at the same time it seems a bit pricey, for something (which is the same product) as FSX. But targeted to a more serious market. And obviously it looks a lot more refined.

Admittedly the only thing putting me off is the price. 

It is an avaiatoin company that developed p3d and it does look good as well, if slightly to expensive. It has a future, so it is generally good.

Watch this video by Pete Froogle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfz6eTqDPxc . I think I would wait until more add-ons have installers for V3.

Yes I saw Pete first impressions video.  That was a 2 weeks ago, but things might have changed since.

Just to re-iterate, I am going to buy the PMDG 737NGX base first. I can wait for other add-ons. I wanted to know if you guys were using re-purchased PMDG prooducts in P3D V3 ok?

Is it PMDG who accomidate P3D fixes as a new version is rolled out, not the other way round?

I'm not a student, I am a flight sim enthusiast.   I don't like the way the licensing is, where the consumer is tempted to lie about their circumstances in order to get a cheaper purchase. And at the same time it seems a bit pricey, for something (which is the same product) as FSX. But targeted to a more serious market. And obviously it looks a lot more refined.

It is an avaiatoin company that developed p3d and it does look good as well, if slightly to expensive. It has a future, so it is generally good.

Yes I saw Pete first impressions video.  That was a 2 weeks ago, but things might have changed since.

Just to re-iterate, I am going to buy the PMDG 737NGX base first. I can wait for other add-ons. I wanted to know if you guys were using re-purchased PMDG prooducts in P3D V3 ok?

Is it PMDG who accomidate P3D fixes as a new version is rolled out, not the other way round?

Do you own both the NGX and 777? That's close to the price of P3D Pro. To put it in perspective.

ORBX Global and Vector? Again, almost the price of P3D Pro.

Think of the sim as an "operating system for flight".

I think its reasonable pricing for what you are getting.

That said, you could perhaps wait a bit until a few more add-ons are updated.

Unfortunately, a lot of folks didn't bother to read the P3D license agreement which you must accept when purchasing the Academic edition.  It clearly states that the product must be used "in connection with an academic education and by students, instructors and staff with Licensee's academic education".

Actually, the professional and academic versions both state that the software must be used for "other than personal/consumer entertainment".  At first I found this a bit strange, i.e. I understand this requirement being imposed for the academic version, but not the professional. However, on further consideration I'm guessing that Lockheed must say that the P3D simulator is for serious and professional training use only because they might be using govt. funds to develop it and of course can't develop a "game".  If not that then perhaps because they are marketing it as a professional simulator, which it is of course, they don't want it to be perceived as a game for entertainment. I'm just speculating, of course.

Anyhow, it should be clear to anyone that unless you're a student enrolled in an accredited program and you're using the P3D simulator for education purposes, you shouldn't be purchasing the academic license.  Period.

I'm always amused when some of the folks that are guilty of this get defensive about it and try to defend their bad decision.

That's all I'll say on the matter.

Thanks.

Dave 

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

This topic is now running dangerously close to the wind guys.. (LM Licensing and unsigned posts... not a good combo) =@  =@  =@  =@  =@

Back to what the OP asked, should he wait for v3 or not?

That's up to him. I have switched over and can patiently wait until my desired add-ons are updated. He may wish to hold off for a bit longer.

His system spec is a little lacking in the CPU department, but V3 may help shift some load to the the GPU, which could offset things a little.

Do you own both the NGX and 777? That's close to the price of P3D Pro. To put it in perspective.

ORBX Global and Vector? Again, almost the price of P3D Pro.

Think of the sim as an "operating system for flight".

I think its reasonable pricing for what you are getting.

That said, you could perhaps wait a bit until a few more add-ons are updated.

No I just have the 737NGX, and the old FS9 747 Queen of the sky, and all the other enhancements for FSX.  The 777 looked great, but I wanted to focus on the 737. I can only sim at the weekend. Over time yes I would expect to have paid a lot for software.

I don't mind paying for something that is good. $200 for a pro licence, is it worth it? I don't know because I haven't got it yet. It sounds lightly toppy, but you guys have it and sound satisfied with it. I won't agrue with that.  Is there still a demo for P3D? maybe that will help.

No I just have the 737NGX, and the old FS9 747 Queen of the sky, and all the other enhancements for FSX.  The 777 looked great, but I wanted to focus on the 737. I can only sim at the weekend. Over time yes I would expect to have paid a lot for software.

I don't mind paying for something that is good. $200 for a pro licence, is it worth it? I don't know because I haven't got it yet. It sounds lightly toppy, but you guys have it and sound satisfied with it. I won't agrue with that.  Is there still a demo for P3D? maybe that will help.

There are no demos to my knowledge. I believe the price is certainly worth it, and as a training tool vastly cheaper than renting a fixed sim at a flight school for example.

Remember, the v3 licenses will also entitle you to any future v3.x updates, 3.1, 3.2 etc etc. which should see us through at least a couple more years.

What you can do is do some research online (youtube, etc) to see what other people think.

I believe the price is certainly worth it, and as a training tool vastly cheaper than renting a fixed sim at a flight school for example

FSX (with it's faults) was a valid alternative to a fixed based simulator. An old friend of mine took it seriously before he got his airbus rating It was part of his 'academic education'.  Obviously P3D is better than this now, a few years into the future.

What you can do is do some research online (youtube, etc) to see what other people think.

Lol, funny you say that I have have been doing this for about 12 months, and I am still in a tizwas.

joolsd, on 18 Oct 2015 - 09:36 AM, said:

FSX (with it's faults) was a valid alternative to a fixed based simulator. An old friend of mine took it seriously before he got his airbus rating.  Obviously P3D is better than this now, a few years into the future.

Lol, funny you say that I have have been doing this for about 12 months, and I am still in a tizwas.

V3 changed the picture quite a bit however. And that's only been out 19 days...

EDIT: I saw that before you edited it lol.

V3 changed the picture quite a bit however. And that's only been out 19 days...

EDIT: I saw that before you edited it lol.

It looks really good, and the way it deals with addon scenery, sounds great. So you can have lots of addon scenery and it not slow the sim down. This is what I have heard anyway.