Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

Should I wait a bit before buying P3D V3

It looks really good, and the way it deals with addon scenery, sounds great. So you can have lots of addon scenery and it not slow the sim down. This is what I have heard anyway.

If you bog it with too much it can still have issues, but I now regularly get over 45+ FPS in a PMDG plane with all sliders to the right (except autogen) and a fair bit of addons like ORBX, REX, ASN etc.

The fact it unloads VAS is a major breakthrough and means a long haul between say FlyTampa Dubai and Sydney won't OOM. (well, not as much risk of that as before)

If you bog it with too much it can still have issues, but I now regularly get over 45+ FPS in a PMDG plane with all sliders to the right (except autogen) and a fair bit of addons like ORBX, REX, ASN etc.

The fact it unloads VAS is a major breakthrough and means a long haul between say FlyTampa Dubai and Sydney won't OOM. (well, not as much risk of that as before)

That's with a 4.9GHz processor.  My expectations are just on improving what I was used to before.  I have a oldish system, but I am hoping that P3d will be an improvment.

That's with a 4.9GHz processor. My expectations are just on improving what I was used to before. I have a oldish system, but I am hoping that P3d will be an improvment.

I'm using a modest laptop and the improvement from 2.5 to 3.0 is noticeable. I don't regret $1 of the $199. It's an investment in the next 12 to 18 months simming as far as I'm concerned.

In addition - faster loading and smoother flying.

Give it a try and if it doesn't impress get a refund.

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

I'm using a modest laptop and the improvement from 2.5 to 3.0 is noticeable. I don't regret $1 of the $199. It's an investment in the next 12 to 18 months simming as far as I'm concerned.

I'm thinking about it...still.

Less thinking, more buying!

http://www.prepar3d.com/prepar3d-store/

:wink:

Don't worry I did it...Went for the pro version straight away. It was never a option to go for the student version. Now I have it, it is a weight off my mind.

I was experimenting with the default aircraft just to check everything was working. I had trouble getting off the ground with some of the planes, possibiliy because the throttle mixtures were wrong or the calibration was wrong on my saitek controls. However I did get a few simple circuits done in a prop I understood. And looking at the settings in the display setup. Starting off conservatively, seeing which settings are best.

It will be another week before I start re purchasing the 737NGX. I will be looking at the basics for a while longer. It certainly flys smooth, but it is early days yet.

Thanks for all your advice. I am looking forward to the Christmas holidays,(bit early yet)  to do more PMDG/P3d study.

Jools

Oh go for it,  life's to short.  Its a wonderful Sim.  There's loads in there already to keep you busy and more Ad On's on the way,  sure how could you go wrong  :smile:

Happy Sunday Evening peeps  :smile:

The point of being an actual low priced investment regarding the amount of well spent time is what I am also always claiming to be an important aspect.

Or in other words: where else can one get so much for so little...

Because I don't have much time for "investigating" right now I would like to just ask one question here regarding the "improvement from 2.5 to 3.0":

are the P3Dv3 in-sim-windows still of the opaque 80's style or did LM change them to something more modern like the semitransparent window style of MSFS 2000/2002?

(I know, the question incorporates criticism, but seeing the nice window styles that XP10 offers for its huge array of plug ins, P3D windows were really a practical drawback.)

An improvement here could make my "should-i-wait-a-bit-before-buying-p3d-v3" hesitation a lot less reasoned.

The point of being an actual low priced investment regarding the amount of well spent time is what I am also always claiming to be an important aspect.

Or in other words: where else can one get so much for so little...

Because I don't have much time for "investigating" right now I would like to just ask one question here regarding the "improvement from 2.5 to 3.0":

are the P3Dv3 in-sim-windows still of the opaque 80's style or did LM change them to something more modern like the semitransparent window style of MSFS 2000/2002?

(I know, the question incorporates criticism, but seeing the nice window styles that XP10 offers for its huge array of plug ins, P3D windows were really a practical drawback.)

An improvement here could make my "should-i-wait-a-bit-before-buying-p3d-v3" hesitation a lot less reasoned.

The ATC window is now semitransparent. I believe so are the others.

The ATC window is now semitransparent. I believe so are the others.

O.K. Thanks a lot! B)

I will "soon" check some videos on youtube. Especially the window appearance of GSX, ASN and RCv4 would be "essential" to me.

EDIT: I just remember an early "statement" by the P3D team that FSX/ESP semi transparent windows were "suspected" as GPU/CPU critical performance reducers and so were replaced by the robust overlay since P3Dv1.x...

Edited by vr-pilot

Should I wait a bit before buying P3D V3

I am going to re-purchase the 737.  I assume the 737NGX is up to date?  I see a lot of people having small problems because they need to install 'sim-connect'? (is this a FSX SE) requirerment? I'm sure it will come to light. I might also get UK Obex scenery.

I can also get hold of a Oculus Rift for a weekend, has anybody tried this with P3d v3 with the PMDG NGX?  It might be a bit low def, but might be a good laugh trying it.

(a none serious bit of investigation)

EDIT, just saw the thread on P3d v3

Jools

joolsd, on 25 Oct 2015 - 05:25 AM, said:

I am going to re-purchase the 737.  I assume the 737NGX is up to date?  I see a lot of people having small problems because they need to install 'sim-connect'? (is this a FSX SE) requirerment? I'm sure it will come to light. I might also get UK Obex scenery.

I can also get hold of a Oculus Rift for a weekend, has anybody tried this with P3d v3 with the PMDG NGX?  It might be a bit low def, but might be a good laugh trying it.

(a none serious bit of investigation)

EDIT, just saw the thread on P3d v3

Jools

Both the 777 anf 737NGX are fully P3D compatible. As for simconnect, install all 4 versions, installers are located in your P3D\redist\interface folder. You need these ones:

Capture_zpsp2ulqhjb.png

Thanks, let me get on with this. I will follow the instructions and just do what it says. no doubt those files will be introduced at some stage.

Julian, in the zip folder that you download from PMDG, there is a PREPAR3D USERS READ ME readme file. It has the instructions and how to find those files. Easy.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks guys, I have succesfully bought my PMDG vehicle into the P3D V3 world. 

The file structure of the sim connect folders looked slightly different.To the instructions..and were Inside a folder called retail. But seems to work ok,and all the panels are alive. I will go and do some test flying and see what happens.

Thanks again.