Sign in to follow this  
RVxSpeed

MSVCR120.dll CTD with P3D V3

No one has answered one question I keep posing though, why is there nothing in my event viewer?  and why is it even with AppCrashViewer I still see no reference for the crash?  Is there something I'm missing?  (OS is Windows 10 Home).

Hi Craig,

Application exceptions don't have to be written to the event log, there is no requirement for that.  But I thought this MSVCR120.DLL was being written to the event log as some folks were reporting the exception code ... I've never been able to duplicate this error so I can't confirm what was or was not written to the event log.

There are some security contexts that can prevent application from writing to the event log.  For the applications I produce (not flight sim related) I usually get appropriate security context such that I can create my own Application specific event log and use that (rather than the default OS logs).  Event logs can actually hold anything you want in them (they don't have to be errors, they can be just informational) provided one defines them with enough memory/space.

In my apps when I "trap" an exception (note programmers don't have to trap exceptions, it's up to the programmer) I will cycle the callStack (hierarchy using StackTrace with GetFrames) and from there will include method names and declaringtype names ... build them into a long string and put that in the event log text - very helpful when/if I need to debug a client problem.  However need to be careful what you "expose" on a client PC in terms of security ... even when the code is obfuscated.

Some exceptions don't get trapped ... be aware that exception trapping (pending how granular it's implemented) can slow down code execution.

Cheers, Rob.

Firstly thank you Rob, managed to find the errors associated with Prepar3d now.

Out of interest though, has anyone tested this now with v3.1 to see if it's been corrected?

Regards

Craig Read

Craig Read, EGLL

Just in case anyone is interested I am doing my first flight in v3.1 right now.  A trip from EGKK to KJFK in the PMDG 777-300ER American Airlines.  I've got ASN running and some scenery installed so will just see how it goes.

Incidentally if anyone is interest my experience of upgrading P3D from v3.0 to v3.1 was very simply.  I just read around for all the fixes required first e.g. the ASN fix, and patched everything first, once patched I uninstalled P3D v3.0 client, and then installed the new client that came with the new installer for v3.0 and so far I have had no problems.  One thing I did notice was the first time I loaded scenery and the PMDG 777 took a long time to show, however on second load it was normal so if anyone else sees this I would suggest being patient with it first time round.

Will report on flight later on.

Regards

• Upvote 2

Craig Read, EGLL

Yep... I had both the NGX & T7 in V3.1, and I still experience a CTD. When both aircraft are not installed, P3D is fine. 

Same here, NGX in P3Dv3.1 trip KIAH-KLAX about 3 hr, no time compression. CTD occured as aircraft was at the KLAX gate.  I used the PFD popup departing KIAH.

There is a strong correlation between using the Left DU (PFD) popup and the CTD... don't use the popup it doesn't crash.

Also just reported in the LM forum is that turning HT off may also eliminate the CTD events. I will give this a look over the next couple of days.  It's actually plausible I guess since I read that DX11 does not lend itself to hyperthreading and LM has self reported that some users may see a 300 MB increase in available VAS with HT turned off. I didn't see the VAS improvement but am willing to try it to allow use of PFD popup.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi  Dan ,

not installed 3.1 yet, waiting for my new monitor to arrive but  can you confim its the same MSVCR error?

I m running with HT off and after landing i can pop up the lh PFD without problems , did not tried it in flight since a while.

edit: just read  your topic at the LM forum

Gérard

First flight was ok but I have a sneaky feeling that I didn't let it run on long enough.  I will start a long haul flight tonight and come back to it later when I get home, I will be landing after having eaten dinner out so it won't be as smooth as I'd normally like!

Will keep an eye on this.

Just for a cheap laugh at me being stupid read on.. :)

Thought I'd share a funny moment, last night I was in the middle of writing a really long ticket to PMDG because of activation issues.  For the life of me I couldn't activate my newly bought NGX for P3D!  It would accept the activation, say it was activated then when I restarted it would require it again.  I was sat there thinking "oh no, P3D v3.1 has broken the NGX".  After some time I exhausted my own expertise and forum trawling for ideas.  So I began to document my experience, and spent about 15 minutes writing a long ticket explaining all my steps.  Then when I organised my files I realised I was activating the base pack with the expansion pack key!  Idiot! :)

Feel free to mock!

Thankfully I didn't submit the ticket!

Regards

Craig Read, EGLL

I got the error with MSVCR120.dll just after the client update to v3.1 (under Win 8) but never before with 3.0. Strangely, it appears only in the Windows error log, when closing P3D. Then 10s after closing P3D, the error appears under "Application" in the error log. By now I had no CTD though, but would be interested why MSVCR120.dll is the faulting module.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Thought I'd share a funny moment, last night I was in the middle of writing a really long ticket to PMDG because of activation issues.  For the life of me I couldn't activate my newly bought NGX for P3D!  It would accept the activation, say it was activated then when I restarted it would require it again.  I was sat there thinking "oh no, P3D v3.1 has broken the NGX".  After some time I exhausted my own expertise and forum trawling for ideas.  So I began to document my experience, and spent about 15 minutes writing a long ticket explaining all my steps.  Then when I organised my files I realised I was activating the base pack with the expansion pack key!  Idiot! :)

Feel free to mock!

Thankfully I didn't submit the ticket!

Regards

No mocking from here, nope absolutely not.

'Cargostorm' full names in the PMDG forum please.

Dan Downs KCRP

I nailed my error message down to the fsinsider.dll, which comes from Multicrew Experience. If I deactivate that entry in the dll.xml, the MSVCR120.DLL error is gone. Error is reported to the dev team.

Chris

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Completed a long flight from YSSY to KLAX just now without issue.  Although I did make an effort not to click and expand the ND or PFD at any point.  Although during pre-flight I did expand the captains FMC.  It went without issue, but will keep tabs on it and keep adding if I get anymore CTD's.  One thing I do enjoy about the 777 is how much of a challenge managing speed reduction is on approach, she is really slippery!

Dan,

Hey all I can say is at least I didn't submit the ticket and end up looking very silly in front of the tech staff!

Cheers

Craig Read, EGLL

Just finished a NGX KLAX-KATL trip, using the PFD popup on departure. No CTD. Looks like there's hope.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

I had the crash just now in 3.1, HT is off. Clicked the LH PFD on approach in a 3.5 hour flight. The first click it blanked the display, I clicked again the display returned; then stupid me clicked it again and P3d stopped responding.

Checked app crash viewer and no error report whatsoever. Last report was from 12/24 concerning another app.

Just information to help locate the cause. I think I'll hold off purchasing the 747 when released until this issue is resolved.

Sean Green

I've had at least a dozen sessions with P3Dv3.1 and both NGX and 777 flights. I am using the 2D popups most sessions no problem. The daylight splash for taxi and landing lights is working even when loaded during daylight. The 777 dome light is working.

I've had one CTD with v3.1 as noted above on 22 Dec but it was associated with menu and changing time and cannot duplicate. I am running HT on.

All in all I'd say all problems are resolved.

Sean, a crash without a crash report is very hard to trace. It could have just as easily been a program running along side P3D.  All the 2D popup associated crashes reported in the LM forum have had crash reports, and that covers about 700 posts.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi,

Fresh install P3D v3.1 and PMDG777, flight from EGLL to KJFK, about 2400NM inbound KJFK the sim crashed hard with:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: Prepar3D.exe
  Application Version: 3.1.2.15831
  Application Timestamp: 5672b60a
  Fault Module Name: MSVCR120.dll
  Fault Module Version: 12.0.21005.1
  Fault Module Timestamp: 524f7ce6
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 000345ac
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 1043

Additional information about the problem:
  LCID: 1043

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Not funny. Even FSX with its OOM's are more bearable than a this 135 + 30 US dollar investment crashing on you.

Best regards,

Eduard Wildknaap