Sign in to follow this  
RVxSpeed

MSVCR120.dll CTD with P3D V3

My personal conviction is running the simulator without administrator privilege is going to prevent the issue. On the other hand i am able to use the keyboard shortcuts again.

As promised, if you wanna give my solution a try, here it is:

i downloaded "shexview" (short for "shell extension view" from this website:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

remark: well known, trusty website, with tons of useful tools (freeware)

if you need the x64 version here it is:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview-x64.zip

extract it, start the exe as admin, go to "options" menu This will help you filtering.

first check "disable all microsoft extions"

and in the first line in "options" menu there is a line for just 32 bit extensions. (to seperate the 32 bit ext from the 64 bit ones.)

Make sure you disable all the remaining extensions 32 + 64 bit before your next flight.  Some of them are active in both areas

32bit extensions and 64 bit extensions!  You can easily activate them again after your next flight. It is just for exclusion reason.

!If the now panels don't crash anymore, you know at least on of them is being culprit!

As it was in my case.

So then there are 4 strategies:

you don't want to qualify the issue (that means, you are willing th deactivate all these extions before every flight)

you'll pass on all these extensions totally

you'll qualify the issue by starting to enable the lines one by one and doing long hauls between each time

you let the community do further investigation for you.  :P

How to disable/enable extensions?

(via right-click "disable/enable selected items")

As your crashreports are pointing to 2013er runtimes, it could be good indication, that software which needs this runtimes and took place in the context menu

is your culprit. Like actual security suites Kaspersky, etc...

That's it, hope it helps for your issues, too.  :smile:

Worth a try, have you narrowed down the list of shell extensions to one or a few?

Dan Downs KCRP

Hello Paul,

Thanks for your work.

Could you kindly precise which items are checked in your folder "Options" in the program shexview ?

Best Regards

Marc Manandise

Windows 10 PRO

have you narrowed down the list of shell extensions to one or a few?

The reason why i haven't mentioned the one at least caused my problems, that it wouldn't be any help

except your event viewer would point to ntdll.dll.

We share if i am right the trigger event (mouseclick panel) the principle behind the trigger (faulty extension)

but surely not the same extension being faulty.

So you first have to make sure if my finding fits also to your issues, that means disable all non microsoft extensions for the next flight.

Not a big deal, just 2 minutes of work disabling and enabling then after flight again.

Could you kindly precise which items are checked in your folder "Options" in the program shexview ?

this setting is to check the 32bit extensions:

7h8854gl.jpg

this setting is to check the 64bit extensions

y5bjpnso.jpg

Remark: the lines you'll find will most probably differ from mine. That's OK. Just proof by disabling them all, if your panels are still crashing on your next longer flight.

Sorry, can't repair the quotes in this post :mad: 

Edited by PGBosak

Ah okay, I've seen ntdll.dll events on occasion but the nasty one is the msvcr120.dll event.  Not sure a shell extension could be involved in that, it's not the mouse click but rather the launching of a particular child window that a symptom of the problem.  Thanks for explaining where you are at.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hello Paul,

Thanks for your screenshots. Will have a try for my next flights.

Best Regards

Marc Manandise

Windows 10 PRO

it's not the mouse click but rather the launching of a particular child window that a symptom of the problem.  

That's maybe the longer story of what i meant before. :wink:

The action of all these events are the same: (popup windows which can be left and right clicked by mouse and via right click i normally open up context menu depending of the situation.

When running the sim it means opening the context menu of P3D except being with my mouse over the VC panels or PMDG clickspots. 

This made me investigating in context menu extension stuff.

And regardless if we talk about your issue or mine,  there is also accordance in access violation (0x000005)

It is not reproducable on test machines (maybe less potential faulty extensions active?)

So i disabled them all. :Tounge: I'm just a user. I don't know what's going on in detail.

But after 3 stable longhaul flights i found it worth sharing. 

So i disabled them all. :Tounge: I'm just a user. I don't know what's going on in detail.
But after 3 stable longhaul flights i found it worth sharing.

Absolutely, glad you have. Needs looked into further and i thank you.

Dan Downs KCRP

Was able to trigger the same CTD albeit a bit differently, I opened a second window using the "[" key and zoomed into the Captain's PFD/ND, but I never used the pop-up option.  The MSVCR120.dll flagged error code occurred at 3.2 hrs over the Atlantic.

Anthony Cacciatore

Ain't no way gonna solve it. it comes like a ghost even sometimes with no clicking anywhere. I also gave a try to ShellExView trick no help. Need to test it under windows7.

Need to test it under windows7.

It occurs with Win7 or Win10, and probably 8 too...  I've learned to use the FO outboard DU (PFD) 2D popup instead of the left side and it works as expected in both 777 and NGX. Anthony's finding is interesting, I've used second windows before but not often and not enough to see a connection.

It will happen with no clicking anywhere after several hours if you had hours ago used the Capt outboard DU 2D popup... if you get a CTD that is not related to that specific 2D popup be sure it is the MSVCR120 module and the exception is xC0000005 before classifying it as the event that this thread is addressing.

Dan Downs KCRP

I've learned to use the FO outboard DU (PFD) 2D popup instead of the left side

You mean you are sitting on captain's side but clicking on FO's PFD?

if you get a CTD that is not related to that specific 2D popup be sure it is the MSVCR120 module and the exception is xC0000005 before classifying it as the event that this thread is addressing.

it's been all the time msvcr120.dll.

Let me tell you something very strange a few days ago we have been flying with another friend on two seperate machines on ivao right at that moment i told him to click on PFD and he got msvcr120.dll error. Just after a few second passed i have clicked on the PFD and i also got it.

Its little funny but I am going to give a try to your solition. I will assume like the cpt's side pfd monitor has broken. Anthony's soliton looks original too. Nevertheless it would be great eradicate.

You mean you are sitting on captain's side but clicking on FO's PFD?

Exactly, if you set MINS you'll need to do it for FO too but otherwise just popup the 2D and position it where you would position the left outboard popup or as desired. Easy, quick and after a dozen flights no msvcr120 access violations.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi guys,

sorry to read that you couldn't get your issues sorted out. (i am still stable, clicking CPT PFD during longhauls  no problem with WIN 7 64bit!)

So its hard to believe this is a general problem.

Maybe you should start to compare your situation of vc++  runtimes doing screenshots

going back to W7

deinstall security suites for some further tests (if you have, not just "game mode")

compare some system parameters DEP, pagefile, etc...

But i am personal still not satisfied with the stability of P3D overall. I recently did a flight using the sim in windowed mode and minimized for 8h+. It ran perfectly in background (multi PC setup: Ivap and ASN outsourced) but i couldn't get it in fullscreenmode anymore with the latest WHQL Nvidia driver. Had to quit and use fsuipc autosave for descend and landing.

If you know at least one Nvidia driver which is absolutely stable in every possible condition, i am all ears.