Sign in to follow this  
rcladin

1080p vs. 1440p in V3, how much reduction in fps

Hi there guys, just looking to see if anyone on the forums has an experience in comparing the kinds of framerate reduction one could expect to get when increasing the resolution.

My current rig as follows:

i7-6700k overclocked to 4.7Ghz, 980Ti (120mhz overclock), 16GB 3200 DDR4, SSD etc

i'm currently running on a bog standard AOC monitor 28inch 1920x1080x60hz  refresh with P3D v3 set to unlimited frames and V-sync with triple buffering.

AA is excellent with AFx16 MSAAx8 and SGSSx4, via NI inspector - only very heavy clouds will the GPU get to 99%

The AOC monitor is essentially a 60hz panel and cannot be setup to 30hz.

Now the image looks very very good and smooth when i can maintain 60hz, but this is not always possible with NGX, Flytampa, Orbx, especially when in the VC.

Typcially in the NGX VC i can easily get 40-60fps At about 60-80% gpu load - plenty of mem, with good sliders but this causes some stutters, so i'm considering moving to a G-Sync panel, as i think G-Sync will work really well in that kind of range.

The outside views are fine, as i'm well above the 60hz limit so the V-Sync works well here

There's a good looking IPS ACER 27inch 144hz panel, but its 2560x1440 with G-Sync, not a 1080panel.

This is my query:

Has anyone got any idea what the likely frame reduction would be in moving from 1080p to 1440p, mathematically its a 1.777 increase in pixels - which could be equated to 78 increase in work by the GPU

The 78% increase in work by the GPU doesn't necessarily equate to a 78% reduction in fps i'm sure, but i wanted to see if any of the community had any direct comparisons for me.

I've considered 4K, but i think i'd probably need another 980 Ti to make that work, nevermind the problem i'd have with bandwidth, my upload is chronic at 1MBps so i'm not really considering uploading 4K content.  My Youtube videos typically 1-2 hours long.

thanks in advance for any help

cheers

-rcladin

Hi there guys, just looking to see if anyone on the forums has an experience in comparing the kinds of framerate reduction one could expect to get when increasing the resolution.

My current rig as follows:

i7-6700k overclocked to 4.7Ghz, 980Ti (120mhz overclock), 16GB 3200 DDR4, SSD etc

i'm currently running on a bog standard AOC monitor 28inch 1920x1080x60hz refresh with P3D v3 set to unlimited frames and V-sync with triple buffering.

Has anyone got any idea what the likely frame reduction would be in moving from 1080p to 1440p, mathematically its a 1.777 increase in pixels - which could be equated to 78 increase in work by the GPU

The 78% increase in work by the GPU doesn't necessarily equate to a 78% reduction in fps i'm sure, but i wanted to see if any of the community had any direct comparisons for me.

thanks in advance for any help

cheers

-rcladin

Just set up x2 DSR resolution in NVCP and that will tell you what is going to happen.

At x4 you can also test out 4K.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Just set up x2 DSR resolution in NVCP and that will tell you what is going to happen.

At x4 you can also test out 4K.

gb.

thanks for the feedback, will give it a whirl

cheers

Thanks GB

Just to let you know, i tried DSR in the main menu in NVCP and then changed the res in game.

DSR Results:

Scenario: P3D V3 - NGX in VC cold & dark - clear weather, no AI, sitting at the gate in FT YSSY

1080p 57-58  fps with 58-60% GPU usage; same as previous without DSR

1440p 57-58 fps with 79-81% GPU usage

2160p 57-58 fps with 81-82% GPU usage

i'm not sure the 4K (2160p) was working correctly,

But the conclusion appears to be the GPU can run the higher res as long as it has the capacity on the chip- before the frames are affected.

that sound right? at any rate it looks like i'm wasting my time with a 1080p panel

all tests above with FXAA off, MSAAx8, AFx16 and SGSSx2