Sign in to follow this  
celendis

NGX Reboot 1.1 - Transponder change

For the benefit of on-line ATC users, FO will set the transponder to Standby instead of Alt Off even if ASDEX selected to yes during the Before Taxi procedure.

Unlike some other on-line services, PilotEdge mirrors real world operations and requires mode C at many airports, and encourages use at all airports. Per AIM 4-1-20 a.3 (page 4-1-15): "Civil and military transponders should be turned to the 'on' or normal altitude reporting position prior to moving on the airport surface to ensure the aircraft is visible to ATC surveillance systems"

Since this change implies that the ASDE-X setting is ignored, what steps should I take when I fully intend FS2CREW to turn on the transponder before taxi and keep it on until I get to the gate?

PilotEdge (www.pilotedge.net) is a service that provides full voice ATC service 15 hours per day, 7 days a week that covers the entire Los Angeles Center region and uses real world frequencies. It's a paid service, so it is not as universally popular as the free services like VATSIM. On the other hand, when you look at a chart and dial the frequency, you will contact an ATC controller.

I guess my failure to understand is this: why ignore the ASDE-X setting? I believe that it would be more appropriate for users who fly on services that do not simulate ASDE-X to actually brief ASDE-X off.

Edit: I guess I can work around this by not setting the new feature that makes FS2CREW think it is online. It appears to work normally without this setting. This was not clear in the patch notes.

Edited by celendis

I have the same question but the other way around sort of speak :wink:

Exactly how should I have these settings (ASDE-X and Online ATC client) to make sure the FS2Crew FO doesn't set the transponder to TARA until just before entering the runway on departure and to make sure he will swtich it OFF when vacating the runway after landing?

Although not 100% realistic at many airports as already mentioned above this is how things work when flying on VATSIM where ATC normally isn't very happy if you don't keep you transponder OFF unless you're on an active runway or enroute.

Richard Åsberg

I have the same question but the other way around sort of speak :wink:

Exactly how should I have these settings (ASDE-X and Online ATC client) to make sure the FS2Crew FO doesn't set the transponder to TARA until just before entering the runway on departure 

If you set ASDEX to 'no' in the Config Option, the FO shouldn't touch the transponder until you run the runway entry procedure.

If you set ASDEX to 'no' in the Config Option, the FO shouldn't touch the transponder until you run the runway entry procedure.

OK, and what about the online client option because those two options seem related?

And is there really a 'No' option for ASDEX? As I recall it you can only choose between 'TARA' and 'ALT ONLY' or something similar.

Richard Åsberg

ASDEX got really complicated because I tried to make everyone happy even when it goes against actual practice in the plane or at the specific airline  :Tounge:

Look in the APP and DEP Briefs for ASDEX 'yes/no' options.

The On-Line ATC client option by default it set to no.  Some people with the VPilot client experienced a crash in P3D V3.  If you experience that, you would ensure the ATC Client option is set to "No".

Long story short, if using VPilot and you get a CTD, set this option to 'no'.

OK, so to sum up...

When I fly online on VATSIM using vPilot and I don't experience any CTD (using P3Dv2.5) I should have the online ATC client set to YES to make sure the FO will set the vPilot transponder to TARA during the runway entry procedure and then to OFF when vacating the runway after landing. Is that correct?

And for all the ASDE-X options (on the DEP, APP and CFG pages), to make sure the FO does not set the transponder to TARA (in the NGX nor in vPilot) before running through the runway entry procedure and to make sure he will set both the NGX and vPilot transponder to OFF when vacating the runway after landing I should have the ASD-X options on the DEP and APP pages set to OFF and the ASDE-X option on the config page set to SET ALT OFF. Correct?

I agree all these options and how they relate to each other is a bit confusing. Then for this CTD issue you mentioned earlier this issue has been found by some 777 users running P3Dv3 but since we are now in the NGX forum I guess you added that option just in case this issue would also pop up in the NGX when people are starting to move to P3Dv3?

Richard Åsberg

OK, so to sum up...

When I fly online on VATSIM using vPilot and I don't experience any CTD (using P3Dv2.5) I should have the online ATC client set to YES to make sure the FO will set the vPilot transponder to TARA during the runway entry procedure and then to OFF when vacating the runway after landing. Is that correct?

And for all the ASDE-X options (on the DEP, APP and CFG pages), to make sure the FO does not set the transponder to TARA (in the NGX nor in vPilot) before running through the runway entry procedure and to make sure he will set both the NGX and vPilot transponder to OFF when vacating the runway after landing I should have the ASD-X options on the DEP and APP pages set to OFF and the ASDE-X option on the config page set to SET ALT OFF. Correct?

I agree all these options and how they relate to each other is a bit confusing. Then for this CTD issue you mentioned earlier this issue has been found by some 777 users running P3Dv3 but since we are now in the NGX forum I guess you added that option just in case this issue would also pop up in the NGX when people are starting to move to P3Dv3?

1. Yes.   If you ever upgrade to P3D V3, and if you get a CTD with VPilot (FYI, I don't get a crash, but some users reported it), then you'd set that option to No.

2. Correct.   But keep an eye on the transponder setting.

I made the mistake of trying to accommodate everyone's unique request in the ASDEX department, and now it's grown so complex even I have a hard time following every possible option and path.

Always hard to please everyone :wink:

I'll try these settings and keep my eyes open.

Richard Åsberg

Checked on tonight's flight and with all the settings as discussed above the FO still sets the transponder to TARA already before taxi.

So at this time I guess I need to remember always setting it back to OFF before I start taxi to avoid upsetting Vatsim ATC...

Richard Åsberg

Checked on tonight's flight and with all the settings as discussed above the FO still sets the transponder to TARA already before taxi.

So at this time I guess I need to remember always setting it back to OFF before I start taxi to avoid upsetting Vatsim ATC...

Make sure ASDEX is set to "no" on the Departure Brief page.

As said, this was with all settings as discussed above meaning ASDEX OFF everywhere.

Richard Åsberg