Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Norway Pro (Work in Progress)

Hey Tony. I´m a native, living in Molde region. Thanks for improving xplane for Norway! The first time I used XP 10, I did a flight from ENML (from .org). I was impressed by the details of the scenery. UHD Mesh v1 is a must! Alternativly the HD Mesh scenery V3. The look of the mountains is very true to the real thing. With your Norway Pro scenery, the roads, the placements of houses, placement of radio antennas etc makes flying in this region even better. i think it is a big improvement! 

Now, some suggestions..

1) Any way you can add churches (good for VFR)? I´ve started a manual project of adding churches, but it is very time consuming (so far added 30 of about 130 churches in the region Møre og Romsdal). Data with GPS coordinates are available at http://www.kirkesok.no/eng/

Example https://www.dropbox.com/s/0s2m6mms0l1cdrf/Myrbostad%20kirke.png?dl=0

2) The lighthouses are great for VFR, but they all look like big white towers in Norway Pro, even the small ones that are in the fjords. The big lighthouses are mostly found further out, where the the big ocean is.

3) Is it possible to add realistic ship-traffic that moves along the coast? There are many ferries (carrying cars and passengers) that cross fjords and between islands in Norway. They have a caracteristic look, and it would be great to see those in X-plane. Also, the different ships by Hurtigruten would be great to see along the coast. I know there is a plugin that add ship-traffic to X-plane, but the ships are not identical to the Norwegian ferries ....

This was my wish-list :) Thanks, again!

Øyvind

Photo scenery is for the high altitude pilots.  Down at VFR and helicopter levels, it is fuzzy, blurry and not realistic.  HD and UHD mesh combined with w2xp is far better in a Cessna or chopper.

+1.000.000 :)

Thanks for the feedback Øyvind, it's always good to hear from people who actually live there :-)

1) Is that list of churches available in a single file?, if so I can use it to import the lot into the scenery. If I'm able to do this, then it will be worth taking the effort to create some better church models.

2) Yes agreed. In the data I have, it only tells me it is a light used for navigation, and can either be a lighthouse of a light beacon. Since I simply don't know, I've decided to remove them in the next version, as there are just too many of them. Do you have a picture or source of what these light beacons should actually look like? If they're the majority then it may be worth doing this instead.

3) I'm pretty sure the ship-traffic plugin is configurable and can be given different boat models and more routes. The actual routes can easily be imported from the data I have and OSM, but making the models is going to take some work :(.

I just love the new Norway, even in Alpha2. Based on real data is so much better than "plausible", so thank you for your hard work!

Will be happy with it excactly as it is now, but if striving for perfection is in order:

An item on the wishlist would be the houseroofs toned down a bit (using other models?). I would say more than half of the houses in Norway have dark/grey houseroofs.

Below is a pic of the city of Kristiansand in Norway Pro (world models?):

krsand-houseroofs-xpl.JPG

And in real life:

krsand-houseroofs.JPG

Thanks Ole. I can easily recolour some of the roof textures to grey, so I'll give this a go and see if it improves it.

I've had a play and tweaked the city buildings from photos on the net, I've also added some night textures which I forgot to do :-). Here are some pics, all taken without photoimagery

Alabeo_R66_1.jpg

Alabeo_R66_2.jpg

Kristiansand

Alabeo_R66_11.jpg

Narvik

Alabeo_R66_14.jpg

Other changes in beta 1 are/will be:

• Removed advertising boards from buildings
  • Fixed doubled up forests
  • Fixed clipping of roads through forests
  • Tweaked the colour of the roofs
  • Gave priority to OSM buildings when a conflict happens with an address point
  • Imported powerlines and gondolas/ski-lifts from N50 instead of OSM
  • Imported piers
  • More artwork for residential buildings
  • Fixed dark shadows on ground when lowering density settings
  • Updated OSM data
  • Imported Railways from N50
  • Upvote 5

Thanks Tony, that really made the difference. 4 times beautiful scenery right there!

Can't wait for Beta1 :)

Thanks for the feedback Øyvind, it's always good to hear from people who actually live there :-)

1) Is that list of churches available in a single file?, if so I can use it to import the lot into the scenery. If I'm able to do this, then it will be worth taking the effort to create some better church models.

I´m asking the owner of the website now... The maps on the website shows all churches i Norway with GPS-coordinates (i´ve testet the coordinates, and they are perfect). 

You're creating a masterpeace here. This might be the most credible scenery I've ever seen in a flight sim. 

Other changes in beta 1 are/will be:

Removed advertising boards from buildings
Fixed doubled up forests
Fixed clipping of roads through forests
Tweaked the colour of the roofs
Gave priority to OSM buildings when a conflict happens with an address point
Imported powerlines and gondolas/ski-lifts from N50 instead of OSM
Imported piers
More artwork for residential buildings
Fixed dark shadows on ground when lowering density settings
Updated OSM data
Imported Railways from N50

Is that all !?  Amazing stuff.  :smile: :P :excl:

• Upvote 1

ENGM....Tony...this Alpha 2 is already SERIOUS scenery...

...even in only the Alpha stage...around this airport in square miles....simply fabulous.  The towns are fabulous...  At full out scenery settings, it looks real...wow. 30-35 FPS maintained, easily.

Highest Regards...

This will surpass Massachusetts.....

Post Edit:  About the only thing so far Tony, is that I still see some trees on roadways, and homes in water, out upon the lake, fjord, just off shore.  Not many...but still you find them all over.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Mitch, hopefully trees on roads will be fixed in beta 1. The homes on the water I can't fix as this is because the mesh/coastline isn't detailed enough. If there is house on the water, then there is actually a building there in real-life on a small islet. The coastline in X-Plane can be in sometimes over 1km off.

Thanks Mitch, hopefully trees on roads will be fixed in beta 1. The homes on the water I can't fix as this is because the mesh/coastline isn't detailed enough. If there is house on the water, then there is actually a building there in real-life on a small islet. The coastline in X-Plane can be in sometimes over 1km off.

Ah...well...I'll have to project land, under those houses and buildings... :)

Tony..I had no idea, really...no idea that XP could look so good...so real.  Around the airport mentioned....it is the wow factor engaged....

Tony, Norway alpha2 is absolutely amazing . When Norway is ready, I hope you do  Sweden. Would be great to get all three Nordic countries as well as Norway. Thank you so much for everything!