Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Norway Pro (Work in Progress)

I have to say that almost all of europe's cities and villages (and most elsewhere too) just look stupid with XP10 default scenery. We all have to thank Tony and the other contributors for changing that.
Nevertheless my impression is that without Laminar tackling city autogen and urban ground textures (building diversity, building night textures, more sophisticated autogen placement) this will stay the the weak spot in XP10 scenery. W2XP somehow seems to have hit a wall in this regard (no disrespect, just my impression by comparing pictures in my head). Landscape and building placement is beautiful, though, with or without photoscenery.

Best Flo  

The way is open for other developers to create regional autogen. I was happy to see that LR finally documented the autogen formats last month (and how I wish I had this months ago). Either way I gave up on using the autogen in Norway for residential areas, and instead it's my own implementation which uses address points and nearby roads to layout buildings. The autogen is still used for city centres, and it's not bad but could be much better. As long as it looks believable whilst flying over it, then it's done the job

Either way, I'm surprised Norway is such a neglected region in the flight-simming world (And yes, I really don't like ORBX's version of it). Here are some shots along the coast on a flight between Stavanger and Bergen:

Cirrus_SR20_1.jpg

Cirrus_SR20_2.jpg

Cirrus_SR20_3.jpg

Cirrus_SR20_4.jpg

• Upvote 3

Tony, that looks incredible. Absolutely beautiful!

Just today I was thinking about buying FTX Norway for P3D... now I think that money would be much better used to donate to certain X-Plane developers.

• Upvote 3

Tony, that looks incredible. Absolutely beautiful!

Just today I was thinking about buying FTX Norway for P3D... now I think that money would be much better used to donate to certain X-Plane developers.

If you like cookie cutter pieces of land that only represent the type of scenery, with sprinkles of actual scenery, then ORBX is for you.  There is no personal identification to the land like you would have in real life.

OTOH, if you like the real stuff with great looking building representations of the buildings, then XP is the future. 

FSX/P3D is stuck in the past - it's an old engine that version 3 has finally shed light on that fact.  Think about it for a moment... version 1, version 2, version 3 - all costing as much as brand new sim, and version 3 still basically looks and acts very much like FSX.... :nea:

XP has some similarities to the DCS 2.0 engine.  It's because they are newer technology.

• Upvote 2

If you like cookie cutter pieces of land that only represent the type of scenery, with sprinkles of actual scenery, then ORBX is for you.  There is no personal identification to the land like you would have in real life.

OTOH, if you like the real stuff with great looking building representations of the buildings, then XP is the future. 

FSX/P3D is stuck in the past - it's an old engine that version 3 has finally shed light on that fact.  Think about it for a moment... version 1, version 2, version 3 - all costing as much as brand new sim, and version 3 still basically looks and acts very much like FSX.... :nea:

XP has some similarities to the DCS 2.0 engine.  It's because they are newer technology.

I have and use both sim´s (P3D and XPlane) and i would very much prefer not to read those preaching posts about how good one software is compared to the other. There have been enough arguments about this if one is interested in reading those.

• Upvote 1

I've put up the first preview version of Norway Pro here: http://world2xplane.com/2016/01/03/norway-pro/

Please read the post carefully to understand what the scenery is and let me know of any problems or issues. Depending on the popularity of the scenery, there will be updates and more artwork based on newer data.

Loading down! Cant wait to test this:-D

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

I'll make that my second trip, I absolutly MUST check out my hometown Bergen first:-)

The download seems to be a bit slow though, over 40 mins for the first 170mb, usually 555mb takes less than a minute. Doesnt matter anyway, I'll wait:-)

ENBR-ENSG might be a good first GA-flight though!

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

Yep, I guess since the mail went out and it's a Sunday afternoon, a lot of people are trying to download

Also, remember this is a preview release, and I hope to improve it quite a lot.