Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Never experienced this before...the v/c in the NGX froze

Was enroute ESSA-LGAV and about 1 hour into the flight I noticed how nothing in the v/c responded. I could try adjusting the heading but the numbers didn't change on the MCP and trying to do things in the FMC same thing...no matter what I clicked or what I did I couldn't change a thing. Since the flight was online on VATSIM I had to cancel the flight and disconnect :( when the ATC gave me a direct and I couldn't follow the instruction since I couldn't update the FMC. Still the aircraft kept running and looking out of the cockpit window I could see how we progressed with the ground passing under us...it was only everything in the v/c that for some reason froze.

Never seen this before and hope I never will again because that was about 1.5h in the trashcan...

Anyone else experienced this?

Richard Åsberg

Could this have been the FSX / P3D known bug where the VC will not respond if flying over water / remote area with no tower view present?

You usually can clear this by cycling through the views a few times.

No idea, never heard of that bug before but will keep it in mind should I find myself in this situation again.

I was flying over water between Sweden and Balticum and I tried solving the issue by switching between window and full screen mode a couple of times because I know that can clear up some weird issues but to no avail.

Wish I would have known about this when this happened and before I decided to cancel the flight but oh well...guess it will be TV for me tonight instead then :smile:

Richard Åsberg

The bug is caused if you switch to external views and then re-enter VC mode, as I said you can clear it by cycling through the 4 different view categories a few times until it is responsive again.

Don't worry, I have had my share of cancelled VATSIM flights due to silly errors and so on...

You're right and I've had my share of similar things myself but never seen this one before but I choose to feel happy I learned something new tonight I can try next time rather than feeling sorry about the cancelled flight...always look at things from the bright side right :wink:

Richard Åsberg

What you can do if you have FSUIPC is configure it to auto-save, or, even if the sim appears to have frozen, manually try to save, advise the ATC of your intentions, close the sim, open the sim and saved flight, reconnect, and continue. ATC don't usually mind unless you are on approach or during a big event where its quite busy.

Yeah, I thought of that but with FS2Crew and everything trying to get everything in sync again I didn't bother.

Richard Åsberg

Anyone else experienced this?

I get this all the time in FSX and usually only on long hall flights with the T7; and only when cycling views. For instance, when I cycle the views at my cruise altitude I will only get VC cockpit and aircraft view. Wing view  and airport view are no longer available until I am just shy of my TOD (Strange!!). However, everytime I cycle back to the VC cockpit it freezes just as you mentioned. To resolve this. I right click on FSX window, select the aircraft views and choose VC cockpit. You might notice its already seleced but selecting it again will resolve the problem...most likely tempoarrily, until you cycle through again..

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

I get this all the time in FSX and usually only on long hall flights with the T7; and only when cycling views. For instance, when I cycle the views at my cruise altitude I will only get VC cockpit and aircraft view. Wing view and airport view are no longer available until I am just shy of my TOD (Strange!!). However, everytime I cycle back to the VC cockpit it freezes just as you mentioned. To resolve this. I right click on FSX window, select the aircraft views and choose VC cockpit. You might notice its already seleced but selecting it again will resolve the problem...most likely tempoarrily, until you cycle through again..

Interesting and good to know, thanks for sharing!

Richard Åsberg

I know we mention this in the Intro Manual, along with the 'fix' for it (both preventive and reactive). Worth a look.

The basics are:

• Cycling through tower view with no towers in range confuses the sim (this is an FSX/P3D bug)
  • To avoid, only use the right click option to change views (be sure you have the uiautomationcore.dll fix, of course)
  • To fix, all that is usually necessary is a view change (either within-category - A - or through categories - S, as long as S doesn't put you through tower view again)

Kyle Rodgers

• Cycling through tower view with no towers in range confuses the sim (this is an FSX/P3D bug)
  • To avoid, only use the right click option to change views (be sure you have the uiautomationcore.dll fix, of course)
  • To fix, all that is usually necessary is a view change (either within-category - A - or through categories - S, as long as S doesn't put you through tower view again)

Hi Kyle,

The uiautomationcore.dll fix is needed in P3D as well?  Didn't know that.  I highly recommend using the "A" key to cycle through interior views, it worked really well before the uiautomationcore fix was discovered.

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

Thanks for the additional information and for the record I always change views by right-clicking to get to the context menu.

...and edited to add I do have the uiautomation fix in place.

Richard Åsberg