Sign in to follow this  
Adam Reed

P3D System Research

Good evening all,

I'm just doing research on different systems currently to run P3d, and sorry if it's all you keep reading..

I am lead to believe a good system to run it is;

Mobo- ASUS 7170-A

CPU- Intel i7-6700K Skylake – Over clocked to 4.6 GHz

GPU – GTX 980Ti 6 GB

H100i Watercooler

16GB ram DDR4, 3000Mhz

1TB SSD

Windows 7/10?

I am looking for positive and negative points on the above system please, I am aware that P3D runs on one core mostly (although I know LM have adapted this a little so it uses more), So would I be wise to spend the buck on the Skylake or would I be just as well off with the 4790K/5930K?

Obviously I want P3d to run as smooth as possible with highish settings (don't we all haha)

Any help appreciated,

Kind regards

Adam

You might want to add what monitor and resolution you want to use. Quite important for picking the right GPU. For 1920x1080 a GTX970 will do (unless you want to be able to use high AA with nVidia Inspector in clouds), if you are going for 4K your choices are quite right. Don't know too much about CPU's right now. And I'd go for Windows 10. Good system with more future than Windows 7.

Apart from all that: smoothness keeps on being a problem with P3D. For the best possible smoothness a 4K monitor that can run at 30 hz seems to do the trick. I think it also depends on how much you look around (TrackIR). But you will keep on seeing mesh and textures being loading no matter what. P3D still has its limitations.

Hi Jeroen

Thanks for that, I havent got the monitor yet, it will be a 4K one for sure, so you think this may be a good choice?

kind regards

Adam

Hi guys again

Ive come to my conclusion i think on my new rig specs, Please could you advise if you would change anything;

Id like to achieve decent smoothness with PMDG etc.

Case: NZXT H440 Black/Red Mid Tower Case

MoBo: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero, Intel Z170, S 1151, DDR4, SATAe/SATA3 6Gb/s, PCIe 3.0, SLi/CrossFire, HDMI, ATX Motherboard

CPU: Skylake Intel Core i7 6700K CPU Overclocked to 4.6GHz

Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX 240mm High Performance Multi CPU Liquid Cooler, with Corsair Link

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-24000 (3000MHz), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 15-17-17-35, XMP 2.0, 1.35V

GPU: EVGA 980Ti 6GB 

PSU: 850W Corsair HX850i High Performance 80+ Platinum Digital Power Supply

Monitor: 28" Acer B286HK 4K Pro Monitor, LED 3840x2160, 1ms, 300cd/m², 100M:1, Speakers, DP/HDMI(MHL)/DVI

Kind regards

Adam

That system should run P3D v3 very nicely indeed. It is more powerful than mine, and I don't have any significant problems.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks all, nothing you would change? Do you think i would get decent performance smoothness wise?

Also, any news on how well P3D works on Windows 10 yet? Not sure if i should stick to Win7 

Adam

Contrary to the flattering and wider belief,  i'm afraid i'm no expert,  it all looks good though

Jeroen will give you a better opinion then me,  ill call him for you, i have a special button that i press and it goes straight to his ear piece   :smile:

***Calling J van E***

• Upvote 1

Thanks all, nothing you would change? Do you think i would get decent performance smoothness wise?

Also, any news on how well P3D works on Windows 10 yet? Not sure if i should stick to Win7 

Adam,

P3D works perfectly fine in Windows 10.

-Jim

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Almost anyone would love to have a system like that to run P3d (or XP10 for that matter).  Like others have said, it's a lot better than my hardware and I have no trouble running P3d V3 at some fairly high settings. You will probably be able to max out all the display settings and still get excellent frame rates. I also have Win 10 and have no problems. I suggest that you try the Win 10 "Fast Start" option as it will speed up system boot time immensely. Fast Start  is actually a pseudo hibernation mode, where Windows saves a snapshot of the system in the hibernation file at shutdown time and then plunks the whole image verbatim back into memory when Windows 10 boots up. The difference between Fast Start and true hibernation is that with Fast Start enabled, the computer is completely powered down and goes through the BIOS bootup sequence just like a normal cold boot.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your help all, much appreciated. I think this is the system to go for using P3d then :smile: :dance:

Adam

If you are ONLY going to use it for sim and wont use it for other games or intensive apps, maybe you want to save some money with the ram and buy 8GB instead. P3D cant use more than 4GB so if P3D its your only concern 8GB is good to go.

• Upvote 1

Juan Ramos

Adam, since you knocked us Boks out of the semi finals, I won't be offering any advice! :smile:

• Upvote 1

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Hi guys again

Ive come to my conclusion i think on my new rig specs, Please could you advise if you would change anything;

Id like to achieve decent smoothness with PMDG etc.

Case: NZXT H440 Black/Red Mid Tower Case

MoBo: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero, Intel Z170, S 1151, DDR4, SATAe/SATA3 6Gb/s, PCIe 3.0, SLi/CrossFire, HDMI, ATX Motherboard

CPU: Skylake Intel Core i7 6700K CPU Overclocked to 4.6GHz

Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX 240mm High Performance Multi CPU Liquid Cooler, with Corsair Link

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-24000 (3000MHz), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 15-17-17-35, XMP 2.0, 1.35V

GPU: EVGA 980Ti 6GB 

PSU: 850W Corsair HX850i High Performance 80+ Platinum Digital Power Supply

Monitor: 28" Acer B286HK 4K Pro Monitor, LED 3840x2160, 1ms, 300cd/m², 100M:1, Speakers, DP/HDMI(MHL)/DVI

Kind regards

Great looking system, very similar to one i built a few weeks ago, however i'd recommend you go for a G-Sync panel, rather than a fixed refresh, given the nature of the variable sim refresh, i personally can't tell the difference between 1440p or 2160p (4K) on a 27 or 28inch panel, but the sync tech works well when >40fps - even with a 980Ti if you use SGSS in NI you'll punish the GPU% with heavy clouds particularly if you use ASN with enhanced overcast if you are turning high frames, tempted to buy another but money still in my wallet