Sign in to follow this  
Adam Reed

P3D System Research

If you are ONLY going to use it for sim and wont use it for other games or intensive apps, maybe you want to save some money with the ram and buy 8GB instead. P3D cant use more than 4GB so if P3D its your only concern 8GB is good to go.

It is no good idea. Cost difference will be minor, less than addon aircraft or scenery.

If you turn off swap in Windows as I did many years ago, and with SSD it is fine for disk fitness, with 8GB only and some running apps like ASN, PlanG, SPAD, some PDF reader and web browser and for windows you easily go about 4GB RAM usage before you run sim. When SIM reach something like 3GB RAM for 7GB overall usage Windows with disabled swap will start with warnings about memory usage and propably will close application which consumes most of memory - P3D.

For example I'm runnig Turbine Duke with two instances of GTN750. Each runs GTN Trainer at bacground. GTN Trainer easily eats 1,2-1.3GB RAM So 2,5GB RAM used olny by garmin software...

With 12GB you are mostly fine, but it is not typical setup, so 16GB is perfect.

Great looking system, very similar to one i built a few weeks ago, however i'd recommend you go for a G-Sync panel, rather than a fixed refresh, given the nature of the variable sim refresh, i personally can't tell the difference between 1440p or 2160p (4K) on a 27 or 28inch panel, but the sync tech works well when >40fps - even with a 980Ti if you use SGSS in NI you'll punish the GPU% with heavy clouds particularly if you use ASN with enhanced overcast if you are turning high frames, tempted to buy another but money still in my wallet

Hey thanks for the advice.

So you would advice me to get a G-sync monitor, Maybe i'm getting confused with V-sync here but if the sim drops below 30hz/30fps? doesn't this have a negative impact? I really don't know..

It is no good idea. Cost difference will be minor, less than addon aircraft or scenery.

If you turn off swap in Windows as I did many years ago, and with SSD it is fine for disk fitness, with 8GB only and some running apps like ASN, PlanG, SPAD, some PDF reader and web browser and for windows you easily go about 4GB RAM usage before you run sim. When SIM reach something like 3GB RAM for 7GB overall usage Windows with disabled swap will start with warnings about memory usage and propably will close application which consumes most of memory - P3D.

For example I'm runnig Turbine Duke with two instances of GTN750. Each runs GTN Trainer at bacground. GTN Trainer easily eats 1,2-1.3GB RAM So 2,5GB RAM used olny by garmin software...

With 12GB you are mostly fine, but it is not typical setup, so 16GB is perfect.

Thanks for that, Ill stick with the 16GB then, makes more sense 

Adam, since you knocked us Boks out of the semi finals, I won't be offering any advice! :smile:

Sorry about that bro, maybe next time eh???  :dance:  :Party:

Adam

Concur. the 4-gig limit is per 32-bit application, not per operating system.

Good advice from Komplik.

• Upvote 1

Hey thanks for the advice.

So you would advice me to get a G-sync monitor, Maybe i'm getting confused with V-sync here but if the sim drops below 30hz/30fps? doesn't this have a negative impact? I really don't know..

The G-sync smoothness starts to break down below 40fps, but you won't drop below 30fps with that system,  i'd be pretty sure, given i have very similar.

I don't recommend locking at 30hz, why do that when you typically (vast majority of the time) will get 50-70fps, running un-limited gives me the best perf.

If you get a G-sync panel, turn V-sync off, my own experience, G-sync is not very good <40fps Just get the minor stutters as you might expect on a 60hz panel without v-sync noticable with horiztonal panning in the VC, looking straight ahead is fine, between 40-60 is good, 60-80 is very good and 80+ fps is excellent, 100-144hz on a flyby or external spot view is pure buttery goodness.

G-Sync +V-sync is also an option, particularly if you are making recordings for 60hz panels or between 40-60frames is common.

i've a few vids made with my new system that will give you an idea of performance given your planned system is so similar to the rig i'm currently running, here:

last 3 vids made with my 6700k system, these are recorded at 30 and 60hz etc, so not exactly how you actually see them live, but still gives you an idea of performance you might expect very similar.

Hi all,

I've finalised my build;

• Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Full Tower
  • MoBo: Asus Z170-A
  • CPU: Intel i7 6700k Overclocked to 4.6GHz
  • RAM: 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 Vengeance LPX, 3000MHz (15-17-17-35)
  • Cooler: Corsair Hydro H110i
  • PSU: 750W Gold Modular
  • GPU: Asus STRIX 6GB GTX 980Ti
  • SSD: M.2 256GB Samsung PCIe 3.0
  • SSD: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5''

Not sure if I will put P3D or OS on the M.2, my guess will be putting the OS on it and P3D on the 850 EVO.??

I've not ordered it yet, but any feedback would be great.

It's slightly changed from my first spec list thanks to you wonderful people on here who are a great help to someone like me!

Thanks!

Adam