Sign in to follow this  
Cargostorm

Virtual Cockpit vs. Hardware Cockpit

Still worrying because reports state that VR cause nausea or dizziness. There are also some voices that state that VR will be a similar flop as 3D TV.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

In response to :

"With  a hardware cockpit you are stuck with one aircraft usually and I fly many different types. "

In my PMSG B737 NGX Homecockpit setup I can just turn 90 degree around and have a 27 inch monitor to fly any airplane I want.

Also, flying your PMDG B737 NGX in a Homecockpit with "real OVH, MIP, Pedestal etc" and a 90 inch monitor is as "Real as it gets".

I doubt that any new virtual device can come up to that immersion.

I also agree with ANDY, building the Homecockpit is even more fun than flying.

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

I am building an Airbus based on Jeehell FMGS -- with the cockpit commonality it allows you to fly the A319, A320, etc. 

I say go with whatever you're comfortable with -- don't think of building a home cockpit as expensive -- consider it a long term hobby where you are spending $xxx/year. Build slowly. Here is my project after 2-3 years, many more to go :)

IMG_1159.jpg

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I bought Google Cardboard and tried several apps for it. Ok, this is nothing like Oculus Rift but screen resolusion should not be so different (or could be better for newer phones?). I found myselfe that I got easily feel sick using VR. When I think of flying in a turbulance with VR....OMG!  Maybe it's real in a way :Tounge:.

Yeah, I personally just can't get that excited about the Oculus Rift... I like being able to fly around and still be aware of what's going on the real world, multitask at times, chat with family members, etc.  Just too isolated with my head wrapped in plastic.

Not to mention, can't imagine the wife's reaction lol

Not to mention, can't imagine the wife's reaction lol

She will get used to it as long as you do not have a VR girlfriend behind the glasses.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Getting motion sickness from VR is going be a big deal and something that is not talked about enough with this technology. When the visual cues are there without the vestibular cues it's vomit city....or at least some discomfort. I'm sure there are some that will not be as susceptible but I think many will be.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11