Sign in to follow this  
FlyBaby

Upgrade to GTX 980 Ti?

Does anyone have a GTX 980 Ti and can comment regarding its performance / improvements over their last card? Setting and FPS?

I realize there are many contributing factors to overall performance. I am just trying to get a general idea of how good this card runs XP. I currently have a GTX 670 4G card.

Does anyone have a GTX 980 Ti and can comment regarding its performance / improvements over their last card? Setting and FPS?

I realize there are many contributing factors to overall performance. I am just trying to get a general idea of how good this card runs XP. I currently have a GTX 670 4G card.

A big step up from this card you have now. I went from 680 to 980 to 980ti.

Founder of X-Aviation

I had a 770 gtx 4gb and moved to 980ti..and am happy with it..finally i could increase my settings and airfoillabs was smooth as silk

FlyBaby...what are your results if you turn off extended DSF?  I know that's not fun...but was thinking (for myself) about using it when needed vs. all the time.  Ben said they're loaded whether on the ground or not.

FlyBaby...what are your results if you turn off extended DSF?  I know that's not fun...but was thinking (for myself) about using it when needed vs. all the time.  Ben said they're loaded whether on the ground or not.

I really did not see much of a performance impact with eDSF....I still had a solid 30 fps locked at 1/2 refresh rate in NI. Since then, I increased my object load which caused me to experience drop in FPS.

I use HDR for night flying only. In the daytime, I set HDR off along with AA in XP and run AA through NI.

Be sure to set you visibility to maximum under weather when running with eDSF, for some reason my visibility is cut to half by default and I have to extend it to see the eDSF.

OK after further tests, it turns out to make a very meaningful difference here.  I'd imagine it varies depending on number of objects, etc in the area you're in.  I'm going to wait for the next gen video card next year...gives me something to look forward to.  Good luck.

for fsx no not much i have a gtx980ti before i had a gtx 780.

for prepar3d i dont know

I have a GTX 780 6 GB . I upgraded to a 980ti 6GB and it made no difference in frames. I ended up returning the card. If you are going from a 4 GB card to a 6 GB card, it might make a difference. I am waiting for the Nvidia Pascal !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I upgraded from a 780ti to the 980ti.

I used to lock at 30 fps with 1/2 adaptive.

I still lock at 30 fps with 1/2 adaptive, however:

I can see a difference in that I can crank up the settings in X-Plane which are GPU dependent; HDR is always on, shadows generally pose no issues even on 'melt your gpu', things like 8xSSAA + FXAA is usable 95% of the time.  In addition, the 6GB vram is definitely made use of.

I tried running without vsync for the heck of it to see what it would do - middle of the Rockies (where I was currently flying in FSE) with HD Mesh and trees set to max was giving me about 90 - 120 fps.  But of course that actually makes the card work; the fan gets a mite loud at that point.  Locking at 1/2 adaptive means that most of the time the fan barely even runs!

I do have a middle of the road / low end CPU however, so I still have to be careful and balance settings. It's easy to overload my CPU, say in the middle of a large city, and at that point the GPU can't help.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I upgraded from a 780ti to the 980ti.

I used to lock at 30 fps with 1/2 adaptive.

I still lock at 30 fps with 1/2 adaptive, however:

I can see a difference in that I can crank up the settings in X-Plane which are GPU dependent; HDR is always on, shadows generally pose no issues even on 'melt your gpu', things like 8xSSAA + FXAA is usable 95% of the time.  In addition, the 6GB vram is definitely made use of.

I tried running without vsync for the heck of it to see what it would do - middle of the Rockies (where I was currently flying in FSE) with HD Mesh and trees set to max was giving me about 90 - 120 fps.  But of course that actually makes the card work; the fan gets a mite loud at that point.  Locking at 1/2 adaptive means that most of the time the fan barely even runs!

I do have a middle of the road / low end CPU however, so I still have to be careful and balance settings. It's easy to overload my CPU, say in the middle of a large city, and at that point the GPU can't help.

Thanks for your input...looks like the 980 Ti will benefit me as far as cranking up some things while allowing me to stay at 30 fps with 1/2 refresh rate.