Sign in to follow this  
ashepherd316

4790k max vcore and heat

Hello i was wandering what is the max vcore for a 4790k as mine is set on 1.21vcore and 4.6ghz and when i use intel extreme tuning utility i am getting as high as 93c and i am using water cooling do you think it is worth de lidding my cpu thanks.

Alexander Shepherd

I shoot for less than 1.3v and 80C...93C on a 4790K is way too hot.

At 4.6GHz, I run 1.24v and see temps in the mid 60s on water cooling during a OCCT CPU stress test.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1.233V at 4.8 on air using AS5 TIM here.  With ambient temps of 68-70F I see mid 60'sC in AIDA64 FPU testing.  If you're seeing 93C at 1.21V I'd suggest going to another test first (the Intel test stresses the CPU way more than real world applications ever would).  If then your temps are still high it might be time to look at your cooling solution.

Good luck,

Greg

If you are comfortable, careful and patient, delidding is always a + in my book. And 93c is hot, but no immediate danger. I recommend Gelid for paste, and Coolab pro under the lid. Put some clear varnish on the PCB components first, that stuff is conductive.

I believe intel stated max is 1.43v but thats not for long term, and 93c IS MAX for heat.

With you hitting 93c @ only 1.21 yeah you need a better cooler or reapply the paste. Small vertical line (grain of rice) down the center.

If you cannot drop the heat down, then I would drop the clock to 4.5 and call it good. As real world temps should be about 20c lower then the intel utility.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

would be nice to get to 5ghz i think it may be the paste i'm using i have gone and bought some i was using arctic mx 4 i have just bought some gelid solutions gc-exterme thermal compound do you think that will make any difference.

Alexander Shepherd

would be nice to get to 5ghz i think it may be the paste i'm using i have gone and bought some i was using arctic mx 4 i have just bought some gelid solutions gc-exterme thermal compound do you think that will make any difference.

To get 5 GHz (Prime) stable on the 4790K and "normal" (water cooling or delidded) you must be extremely lucky to have a superior chip. 1 out of 1000 I would guess. But one can dream...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

What's the lowest FPS you're seeing with acceptable smoothness? And how much of the time you're flying are you seeing dips into the lowest FPS range and start to see lack of smoothness?

I ask because w/ the drive to get a few more CPU cycles you're getting progressively poorer efficiency and heat production to the point of diminishing returns, and if you're looking at an 8.6% increase in thru put for example from 4.6Ghz to 5.0GHz (good luck w/ 5.0GHz), you're going to go from a frame rate of what, maybe 20, to a grand total of 21.8, which is hardly enough to lower the impact of problem areas. This assumes proportional increase in frame rate w/ CPU clock speed but that I think went out the window w/ P3D presumably because of the GPU's role or some other factor. I think it's a little less than 1:1. But the 93C sounds bad so yes see if you can address that.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

When i fly at heathrow xtreme version 3 with ftx global it can go down to 18 fps but mainly stays around 25 and the temps the cpu goes to when i do that is 86c i have found someone who will de lid the cpu for me ah i won't bother overclocking it more then just need to get the temps down before it catches fire.

Alexander Shepherd