Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Game suddenly unplayable?

I have done nothing to the game, so I don't know why it would suddenly give me the OOM then crash on the menu screen. I've almost decided just to give up on FSX all together unless someone can help me figure out why FSX-SE won't run on a barely year old machine with a GTX 980 and a 5820K (intel).  I could run the same setup on my old PC, I even had many more add on aircraft on my old PC than I do now, so I don't know what the problem is. I can play Elite Dangerous all day long with no stutter or hangups.

OOM's are usually (always?) the result of running too many addons at too high a level of detail. Can you share what your addons and settings are? Has FSX ever run well on the new computer? Have you tried moving the sliders a bit to the left? Does it always OOM - even with default aircraft? Etc...

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Dragonmount,

You need to be more specific.

What aircraft is loaded?

Does the crash occur before you take-off or when airborne?

How far into the flight?

Read the instructions in this message and use FSUIPC to monitor available VAS. It should help you work out where the problem is.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/431663-vas-fsuipc-and-fsx/#entry2901761

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The most common reason for FSX becoming unplayable is because you have done something to it, or the system - despite what you said.

Well this time I only clicked on the button to select PMDG aircraft, which is the same as it's always been.  The only two new add ons are FTX trees and open LC canada/alaska.  maybe it's it's the open LC? I never had a problem with ftx trees.

So you have made changes despite saying you haven't. :rolleyes:  LC won't make any difference.

Have you done as I suggested and set up FSUIPC to monitor VAS?

I also asked what airport you started at but you haven't said.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

My flight was PAFA to KSEA, at the time I wasn't thinking of add ons :) sorry. How do I set FSUIPC to monitor that? So sorry I've been kinda sick lately and so not all with it.

The AVSIM CTD Guide (see link in my signature) provides instructions on how to monitor VAS - page 3.

My recommendation in addition to Ray's and others, is to move your fsx.cfg and scenery.cfg, over to a temporary folder. The fsx.cfg and scenery.cfg will be rebuilt back to the default and will remove any tweaks that might not be working properly and taking up memory resources. You should change the resolution of your monitor in the General settings page but do not touch any of the other default settings. Go fly and monitor VAS and see if this makes a difference and ends your OOM's.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

My flight was PAFA to KSEA, at the time I wasn't thinking of add ons :) sorry. How do I set FSUIPC to monitor that? So sorry I've been kinda sick lately and so not all with it.

I'm assuming that PAFA is not a complex 3rd party airport and that you hit the OOM when approaching KSEA assuming you have the 3rd party airport. Note that I'm still having to assume a lot here because you're not giving me enough info.

The instructions for setting up VAS monitoring were in the link in my first reply to you. Might be best to delay all this until you're well enough.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather