Sign in to follow this  
turner112

No low vis at night?

Can you provide a screenshot? Are you using any environment add-on (e.g. RTH) or tweak?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I can confirm the finding - to a certain extent.

It seems that most streetlights have a greater visibility through haze than runway lights. Not unlimited, but much better. I will send a bug report if I can find the time...

Jan

It seems the vis will only drop if you add clouds.  With no clouds but low vis I see unlimited vis.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I can  - I'll have to do that tonite. However, just imagine a screenshot, at night, with unlimited visibility... that's what it looks like!

It seems the vis will only drop if you add clouds.  With no clouds but low vis I see unlimited vis.

Ok, I have an hypothesis.

Basically, in X-Plane the visibility you set in the weather screen, is limited to the altitude below the first cloud layer. This is true EVEN if there are no clouds. What is important is the altitude setting of the first cloud layer (even if it says "clear").

So, as soon as you climb over the altitude of the first cloud layer (even with no clouds), the visibility returns to max (unrealistically).

If the issue you're having is the one I just described, there are two ways to work around it:

1) increase the altitude of the first cloud layer;

or

2) set a "stratus" in the first cloud layer, to simulate a haze/fog ground bank.

• Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

This is correct, Murmur, and even to some extent realistic. Let´s say there is fog with an RVR of 200 meters. This is pretty bad. But sometimes those cloud layers are only like 100 meters thick, so you can readily see the runway and all airport lights as you fly overhead the airport. Only when you do the approach, it´s impossible to see the lights at a distance,because you try to see through the foglayer at a very oblique angle.

The problem here is a bit different, though. The effect of seeing streetlights "further" than runway lights is happening while well inside the haze/fog layer. A bug report has been sent to Laminar.

Jan