Sign in to follow this  
Kusta

Fps drop in live weather

Hi

If someone can help me, as the title says. I get a massive drop in fps when using live weather on ASN. When I manually set the weather, thunderstorms and CB clouds I get about 30-45 fps but as soon as I set it to live weather, when I'm flying and there's a few overcast clouds around me, it drops to 10 fps or even less.

I have tried reducing my antialiasing to 4xS. I use Rex for clouds as well. I have them at 1024.

My specs:

i7 3770 @ 3.40ghz turbo boost 3.90

Gtx 650

8gb ddr3 ram

And I use fsx not P3d

Just a guess, but with live weather your computer is having to download new data, from different reporting stations as you travel, and load new textures to match the reports.  That can be a lot of work.  I think that the frequency at which you update the weather can affect computer performance.  The more often the updates, the more time the computer must spend loading new textures.  I set AS2012 to 15 minute intervals.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Hi,

The depiction of clouds (especially overcast) is the most detrimental factor in performance.  Each overcast layer can result in upwards of 500 "sprites" per wx cell and in a typical overcast scene this can be upwards of 50,000 sprites, each with significant rendering overhead.  The actual running of ASN and its components generally does not have any measurable effect on performance.  Have you read the performance considerations chapter of the User's Guide?  There are many suggestions and some good insight to help you get a better experience.

Without more information I'd suggest turning overcast enhancement off, reducing cloud draw distance to 90 miles, and if using graphics add-on with cloud textures, reduce the resolution to 1024 DXT and see if that brings things to acceptable levels.  If not, there are plenty more options and strategies for increasing performance (read the User's Guide).

Hope that helps.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Alright thanks for the insight. To be honest I haven't opened the user guide, I'll read it and try playing around with the settings till I get the balance right.

Thanks.

I too have had the same results while flying with live weather and considered posing a question to the forum about it, but someone beat me to it, so my pride is intact. lol

I am appreciative of the information given here.  Reading the responses, I learned a little more, despite being a bit lazy and not RTM. lol

I guess these results hold true no matter the simulator, correct?

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I turned off enhanced overcast and that did the trick for me, now I get 15-20 fps when flying over overcast clouds which is bearable for me and I don't see much visual difference either.